Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hemp seed Oil vs Flax seed Oil?

SCOTTY-TWO-HOTTY said:
I believe Hemp's GLA content is only surpassed by EveningPrimrose and Borage... which isn't available to me in anything but capsules.

to my knowledge, EPO (10% GLA), Borage (24% GLA), and Hemp ( 3% GLA) are the *only* fats that contain GLA.

Omega 6 fatty acids are just as essential to proper health as omega 3 fatty acids. GLA is an omega 6 fatty acid.

Jacob Creutzfeldt said:
Omega 6 fatty acids are just as essential to proper health as omega 3 fatty acids. GLA is an omega 6 fatty acid.

well, the typical diet at least from what i can tell, greatly favors omega 6 as far as a ratio of the two is concerned. the fact is that it is now thought to be healthier for the ratio to favor omega 3, especially from a standpoint of inflammation. take a look at the following, however, there are many more. btw, fish oil is another excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids (EPA/DHA).

Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation increases anti-inflammatory cytokines and attenuates systemic disease sequelae in experimental pancreatitis.
BACKGROUND: The cytokines involved in the systemic inflammatory response in acute pancreatitis (AP) comprise lipid mediators (eg, prostanoids, thromboxanes, leukotrienes) generated from arachidonic acid (AA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). The AA-derived mediators are generated from omega-6 fatty acid (FA) and have strong proinflammatory effects and the EPA-derived mediators generated from omega-3-fatty acid are less active or even exhibit anti-inflammatory effects. Basic parenteral nutrition delivers omega-6-FA and omega-3 FA at a ratio of approximately 7:1. AIM: To investigate whether altering the FA composition by fish oil supplementation (omega-3-FA) affects cytokine production and the parameters reflecting systemic disease severity in experimental AP. METHODS: Severe AP was induced in 30 rats by standardized intraductal infusion of bile salt and IV cerulein. Six hours after AP induction, rats were randomized to TPN using commercial solutions with identical amounts of glucose, amino acids, and fat but different FA compositions: group 1 received a soybean-based fat solution without additional fish oil and group 2 was supplemented with 0.2 g/kg per day fish oil. TPN was continued for two days. Serum concentrations of IL-6 and IL-10 were measured before and after AP induction and at 24 and 48 hours after starting TPN. Routine cardiorespiratory and renal parameters were monitored to assess the systemic response at the organ level. RESULTS: Animals treated with fish oil had significantly higher IL-10 values (at 24 hours, 63 +/- 7 versus 46 +/- 3 pg/mL), produced more urine (28 +/- 0.9 versus 21 +/- 1.6 mL), and had significantly fewer episodes of respiratory dysfunction (defined as a pO2 < 80 mm Hg or pCO2 > 50 mm Hg for >15 minutes; 29% versus 67%) during the observation period. CONCLUSIONS: Altering eicosanoid mediator precursor availability by infusion of (omega-3 fatty acid increases anti-inflammatory cytokines in this model of AP. This together with improved renal and respiratory function suggests that the systemic response to pancreatic injury is attenuated. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2002 Nov-Dec;26(6):351-6

Omega-3 but not omega-6 fatty acids inhibit AP-1 activity and cell transformation in JB6 cells.
Epidemiological and animal-based investigations have indicated that the development of skin cancer is in part associated with poor dietary practices. Lipid content and subsequently the derived fatty acid composition of the diet are believed to play a major role in the development of tumorigenesis. Omega-3 fatty acids, including docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), can effectively reduce the risk of skin cancer whereas omega-6 (omega-6) fatty acids such as arachidonic acid (AA) reportedly promote risk. To investigate the effects of fatty acids on tumorigenesis, we performed experiments to examine the effects of the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA and of the omega-6 fatty acid AA on phorbol 12-tetradecanoate 13-acetate (TPA)-induced or epidermal growth factor (EGF)-induced transcription activator protein 1 (AP-1) transactivation and on the subsequent cellular transformation in a mouse epidermal JB6 cell model. DHA treatment resulted in marked inhibition of TPA- and EGF-induced cell transformation by inhibiting AP-1 transactivation. EPA treatment also inhibited TPA-induced AP-1 transactivation and cell transformation but had no effect on EGF-induced transformation. AA treatment had no effect on either TPA- or EGF-induced AP-1 transactivation or transformation, but did abrogate the inhibitory effects of DHA on TPA- or EGF-induced AP-1 transactivation and cell transformation in a dose-dependent manner. The results of this study demonstrate that the inhibitory effects of omega-3 fatty acids on tumorigenesis are more significant for DHA than for EPA and are related to an inhibition of AP-1. Similarly, because AA abrogates the beneficial effects of DHA, the dietary ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids may be a significant factor in mediating tumor development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001 Jun 19;98(13):7510-5

Last edited:
Out of curiousity, why were my responses to this thread deleted? I merely suggested that taking Flax seed in its raw form and grinding it up into powder is more preferable then buying the oil version or powder. Why do you think it's not mixed in protein powders? It goes bad. Flax seed doesn't have a long shelf life and contrary to popular belief it goes bad soon after you open the bottle. It's much better to grind up the seeds every morning since it made fresh and you don't lose the nutritional value.

my wife boils flax seeds and makes some kind of drink out of it. i don't know what the value is but it does taste pretty good. but then she adds lemons and honey to it too. i guess she got the recipe from her father, who's been into alternative medicine for a lot longer than i've been. bro i wish i had the patience to do that...what kind of grinder do you use? is it a simple as a coffe grinder? if you say it's easy, i may try it. thanks for the info man. btw, how you feeling bro? any better?

40butpumpin said:
my wife boils flax seeds and makes some kind of drink out of it. i don't know what the value is but it does taste pretty good. but then she adds lemons and honey to it too. i guess she got the recipe from her father, who's been into alternative medicine for a lot longer than i've been. bro i wish i had the patience to do that...what kind of grinder do you use? is it a simple as a coffe grinder? if you say it's easy, i may try it. thanks for the info man. btw, how you feeling bro? any better?

Doing much better. Thanks for asking. I've been focused on the proper diet and nutrition, which has been helping a great deal.

Your wfe has the right idea. Grinded up flax seed is an important part of my morning meal. It's sooo simple to make. Buy a Mr. Coffee grinder for $14 and take a protein scoop of Flax seed and put it in the coffee grinder. Then mix it with either oatmeal for cereal or protein powder in a shake. If taken that way you'll be amazed by the taste. It actually taste real good. The nice thing for me is that Flax seed made fresh is a natural diruetic so right after I take it with either oatmeal or protein powder I take a nice solid shit. Most people don't this about flax seed.

Juice Authority said:

Doing much better. Thanks for asking. I've been focused on the proper diet and nutrition, which has been helping a great deal.

Your wfe has the right idea. Grinded up flax seed is an important part of my morning meal. It's sooo simple to make. Buy a Mr. Coffee grinder for $14 and take a protein scoop of Flax seed and put it in the coffee grinder. Then mix it with either oatmeal for cereal or protein powder in a shake. If taken that way you'll be amazed by the taste. It actually taste real good. The nice thing for me is that Flax seed made fresh is a natural diruetic so right after I take it with either oatmeal or protein powder I take a nice solid shit. Most people don't this about flax seed.

sounds good to me, i'm going to try it. good to hear you're doing better man.

Here's the main problem with Hemp oil or Flax seed oil:

When you extract the oil from the seed the oil is fragile. The fibers and ligmans are not perserved, which is what causes it to go bad. Both are rich in Omega 3,6 and 9 but for plant life flax seed is #1.

Man i got my Hemp Oil a few days ago, I gotta tell you that stuff taste good! :p

much much better that Flax seed!

Thats what I thought at first, but half way through the bottle is where my troubles began. It just started grossing me out. Now I stick to walnuts and salmon for my omega 3's.

Top Bottom