Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help with 5x5 please

forfucksake

Hello

I am going to be starting a 5x5 routine soon but am a little confused about something.

Should the four 8-10 rep sets after the 5x5 be taken to complete failure ??

If I train to complete failure then I lose strength on the next set, so if I get 9 reps on the first set of incline flies and have taken it to failure then I may only get 7 reps on the second set. How should I keep the failure sets in the 8-10 rep range ??

Please help.

Use a weight that you can get for the full 10 reps on both sets...

Increase it after you can hit all the reps....you WILL come to a point where you are getting say 9 and 7 reps per set...keep the weight the same and be patient...most likely you will get all 10 eventually

5x5 is about progression...so start low

So I shouldn't train to failure the first set then ??

I'm confused, so if I get 10 the first set and then 8 the next I should still use the same weight the next week ?? What happens if the next week I am able to get 11 reps the first set and 9 the second ??

Thanks.

Let's take an exercise as an example

Chest: ok you use flat bench for 5x5 incline db 2x8-10 incline flies 2x8-10

After you do the 5x5 on the flat you move to the incline db..choose a weight that you KNOW you will able to get for 2 sets of 10 reps....same for incline flies...

As you start progressing and find that you get stuck at a certain weight for a few sessions(be patient here, you aren't going to improve tremendously EVERY SESSION) then it is time to do the weight you get stuck at for 2x8...and progress from there.

Sorry if that sounds a bit confusing....ask more questions if you are unsure

Thanks for the help, sorry if I'm being stupid but I can't understand how you would get the same number of reps on the second set of incline dumbell press as the first set if both sets are taken to failure.

If I train to failure the first set then there's no way I will get the same number of reps on the second set with the same weight.

Thanks.

Yup...no problem...just remember to start low(use slower negatives if you feel the weight is too easy at your normal pace) and work up from there...

forfucksake said:
So I shouldn't train to failure the first set then ??

Actually NO! Unless you want to injure yourself.

Just start with a comfortable weight you can get all 5 sets done with.

Next week add 5-10lbs (depending on the exersise). If you get all 5 then next week add 5-10lbs, etc. etc.

If you start at failure right away you are begging for some medical pain.

One exception. If you have been training hard to failure with another routine, you're probably safe. If you haven't, say hi to your doctor for me!

Maxing out on any routine from an exersise/couch potato standstill is plain idiotic and overzealous. Maxing out in the gym requires a gradual buildup.

Just my opinion...

after the first few weeks, you arent going to get the same number of reps on the 8-10 rep exercises, but try and keep it in that rep range. For example, on chest I may get the 140lb dumbells for 8 reps my first set, I know I cant get 8 again, so I'll hit the 130s for 8-10 for the next set

needsize said:
after the first few weeks, you arent going to get the same number of reps on the 8-10 rep exercises, but try and keep it in that rep range. For example, on chest I may get the 140lb dumbells for 8 reps my first set, I know I cant get 8 again, so I'll hit the 130s for 8-10 for the next set
good point NS i have to remember to leave my ego at the door,,i can hit the 130's for about 8-9 but my second set is a very hard 6-7..im gonna do that next week..

wnt2bBeast said:
good point NS i have to remember to leave my ego at the door,,i can hit the 130's for about 8-9 but my second set is a very hard 6-7..im gonna do that next week..

thats the way to do it, only sets where I allow my ego in is the first few, the rest its more about the feel

Top Bottom