Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help on losing fat!

wildonsquats

While i love breaking PR's and being the "strong" one out of all my friends, i've come to the realization that i've got to get rid of this big 'ol gut that has come to reside around my midsection.

Currently in on a 4 day split, alternating between upper body and lower body workouts, concentrating on compound movements with low volume (2 sets per body part).

I'm not new to the iron game and i've learned how my body responds to certain rep ranges, workouts etc. But this has always been based on me eating copious amounts of food with lots of protein..

Ok.. so getting to the point.. im gonna lower my caloric intake to sub-maintenance levels in order to reduce fat.. but of course id like to minimize muscle loss of course.

1.What type of rep ranges / volume can anyone suggest that should be able enough for me at least maintain muscle?

2. Since i most likely wont be gaining any muscle during this cutting period (i could gain, but lets leave that argument alone for now), could i benefit from lower rep ranges, say in the 5's to stimulate my CNS instead? And if so, will i be able to do so without overtraining, since i'll be below caloric maintenance levels?

Let's just go with the assumption that i won't be doing cardio for the moment in order to see how this diet goes. And if i do decide to do cardio it will be in the form of interval training / sprints hopefully.. (although i do like going for long walks on my treadmill while i watch tv).

Any suggestions or comments would be great... thanks again.

Originally posted by wildonsquats

While i love breaking PR's and being the "strong" one out of all my friends, i've come to the realization that i've got to get rid of this big 'ol gut that has come to reside around my midsection.

Currently in on a 4 day split, alternating between upper body and lower body workouts, concentrating on compound movements with low volume (2 sets per body part).

I'm not new to the iron game and i've learned how my body responds to certain rep ranges, workouts etc. But this has always been based on me eating copious amounts of food with lots of protein..

Ok.. so getting to the point.. im gonna lower my caloric intake to sub-maintenance levels in order to reduce fat.. but of course id like to minimize muscle loss of course.

1.What type of rep ranges / volume can anyone suggest that should be able enough for me at least maintain muscle?

The same as you have been doing, as it seems to be getting you results.

2. Since i most likely wont be gaining any muscle during this cutting period (i could gain, but lets leave that argument alone for now), could i benefit from lower rep ranges, say in the 5's to stimulate my CNS instead? And if so, will i be able to do so without overtraining, since i'll be below caloric maintenance levels?

I'm not sure why you are even contemplating changing a routine that obviously is working for you, just because you are going on a diet. Just keep your routine the same, assuming you are happy with the results.

Let's just go with the assumption that i won't be doing cardio for the moment in order to see how this diet goes. And if i do decide to do cardio it will be in the form of interval training / sprints hopefully.. (although i do like going for long walks on my treadmill while i watch tv).

If you get your diet right bro, cardio is a waste of your time in my opinion. Cardio is beneficial for your heart & lungs, and in the long run, with the added health benefits obtained by doing it, your body will probably be able to burn off calories at a rate more than that of a person who might not practice any cardio. That is long term though bro. For short term fat-burning results, cardio doesn't have much added effect. Consider a 20 minute cardio routine, where you burn off 300 cals, right? That would be a pretty intense 20 minutes to burn that amount, most would agree. Thing is though, is that 300 cals is about the equivilent of 1 large, plain Chicken Breast, and an 8 ounce glasss of Orange Juice. Just cut that chix & juice out of your daily caloric intake, and screw the cardio. When you look at the amount of cals you are burning, when compared to the amount of work you need to do to burn them, it is a no-brainer(to me at least) that cardio isn't necessary to cut your BF%. Plus, I hate having to do laundry all the time, from sweat-soaked gym clothes :). Good luck!!

Any suggestions or comments would be great... thanks again.

Last edited:
To be honest slowly cut out the carbs in your diet and try high intensity sprinting 2x a week. Cut all the crap out of the diet and up the meals, weight training can be the exact same because it works

Top Bottom