Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me settle an argument w/ my Sister!

Yasmine

My sister says "a calorie is a calorie" when it comes to dieting. She thinks it doesn't maker WHAT she eats as long as she stays around 1500 calories a day.

I don't agree with her and she will never agree with ME, her sister!

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Help me prove her wrong!!!

Yasmine
;)

Tell you what. For one month, you eat 1500 calories of a good diet and she can eat 1500 calories worth of crap. Then I think your point will be proven.

this might say it best

All food provides calories. All calories provide energy. But not all calories come with a full complement of extra benefits, such as amino acids, fatty acids, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

Some foods are said to give you "empty calories." This term has nothing to do with the calorie's energy potential or with calories having a hole in the middle. It describes a "naked calorie," one with no extra benefits.

The best-known empty-calorie foods are table sugar and ethanol (the kind of alcohol found in beer, wine, and spirits). On their own, sugar and ethanol give you energy — but no nutrients. People who abuse alcohol aren't always thin, but the fact that they often substitute alcohol for food almost always leads to nutritional deficiencies, most commonly a deficiency of thiamin (vitamin B1).

Of course, it's only fair to point out that both sugar and alcohol are often ingredients in foods that do provide other nutrients. For example, sugar is found in bread, and alcohol is found in beer — two very different foods that both have calcium, phosphorous, iron, potassium, sodium, and B vitamins.

In the United States, some people are malnourished because they cannot afford enough food to get the nutrients they need. The school lunch program — started by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1935 and expanded by almost every president, Republican and Democrat, since then — has been a largely successful attempt to prevent malnutrition among poor schoolchildren.

to sum up the other replys..... what counts is nutrient density per calorie. 1500 cals of chocolate cake is not the same as 1500 calories of tuna, eggs, chicken and spinach etc. Clean calories are nutrient dense, but junk is calorie dense without the nutritional value.

yes calories are a big factor in the amount you eat for fat loss, though she doesnt know much about the three basic macronutrients if she says that, especially carbs effect on insulin which you need to watch when fat loss. i agree tell her to have 1500 cals of like ice cream snickers bar, etc. and you eat a clean diet for 1 month and see who loses more fat. also eating the right kinds of nutrients to break down your 1500 cals into with a clean diet is going to target fat loss and preserve muscle, where lets say she avoids protein with her 1500 cals she might be losing muscle instead of fat with her weight loss, yes she will notice htis on the scale but she will look just as "large" in the mirror.

One thing is certain:
A diet high in protein prevents muscle loss. Protein (amino acids) is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis to use for energy. If no protein is in the diet, muscle protein will be used for conversion to glucose. This means that a lower percentage of weight lost will be due to fat, and more to muscle.

Also, maintaining steady blood sugar levels prevents the body from storing excess blood sugar as fat. This means that a higher percentage of carbohydrates consumed will be available for exercise and everyday activities that burn calories. For instance, if you eat table sugar, insulin will push it into fat cells and you will not be able to use that energy. If you eat beans or oats, the carbs convert to blood sugar slowly for use as energy. A steady, non-sporadic slow of carbohydrates prevents gluconeogenesis (muscle/protein breakdown for conversion to glucose).

There are many many many more reasons, one of which is just good health from lots of good nutrients. I don't see how she could deny the above points.

The easiest counter argument is that the ratio of macronutrients of those 1500 Calories and their GI ratings are big contributes to how much weight loss will come from fat or muscle weight.

Your sister is right, a calorie is a calorie. You can easily lose weight by eating nothing but pizza, doughnuts, icecream and chocolate, as long as you watch the calories.

However, if you are a serious weight trainer, it's better to eat clean so you maintain muscle. But for the typical joe, it doesn't make much difference what they eat, as long as its within their calorie requirements.

I'm neglecting health by the way, but who gives a fuck about health. We all just want to look good.

Top Bottom