Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Global Warming Perspective -- From the founder of the Weather Channel

swatdoc said:
Even if you don't support global warming theories, you cannot argue against our need to reduce oil consumption.

We need to reduce our oil consumption so our economy doesn't depend so much on what has now become a volatile resource. Although the majority of our importation of oil comes from Canada, a still significant portion comes from the Middle East. Simply "cutting us off" can have disastrous effects on our economy.

Oil will not be around forever, and if we do not reduce our consumption now and look for alternate forms of energy, then we will find ourselves in a disastrous situation in 20-30 years.
Well said.

Y'know, there was a time I was really worried about global warming, not so much anymore. The fact is, we WILL run out of fossil fuels and I believe the damage we've done to the environment will correct itself over time. Not in my lifetime, or even my children's, but nature will fix things. Now the generations to come are going to have a real issue on their hands, but there is no giant refueling ship that's going to dock to this planet. We WILL run out of coal, natural gas and oil, and in the end, before it runs out, it's going to be worth more than diamonds. Now what will happen when the usual resources are beginning to dry up? I could see a potential point where we'll just use up every other potential energy source, including wood, and we'll create a situation where the natural dynamics of the planet can no longer support life as we know it. Don't believe me? You do know that Easter Island was a lush jungle once, right? Societies have exploited their resources many times before, resulting in their own extinction. What makes you think it won't happen again? What's going to happen when diesel, gas and home heating oil hits $10 a gallon?

The real question is, are we, as a society, going to take steps to prepare for the inevitable while we have resources to fall back on, or are we going to keep our heads sunk firmly in the sand? I think our consumer based mentality will force most people to stick with the ostrich approach, much like the aristocracy of pre-revolution France. I mean, could you imagine a world where there's no mall to drive to (being too expensive to heat/cool/light, if you'll notice enclosed malls are no longer being built), and even if you COULD go to the mall, the 1/4 tank of gas to get there costs as much as the pair of jeans you were going to buy. What a concept.

nimbus said:
so which claims exactly are bogus?

1. That man-made CO2 emissions are the primary cause of global warming.

If the atmosphere were the size of a football field, man's (and his machines) CO2 production would move the ball to the 1" line.

redguru said:
1. That man-made CO2 emissions are the primary cause of global warming.

If the atmosphere were the size of a football field, man's (and his machines) CO2 production would move the ball to the 1" line.

How do the anthropogenic causes rank up with those from solar variation? I don't follow this issue much, like most popular themes of the day.

:cow:

Top Bottom