Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

form question on ATF squat

kiosk

on the 5x5, when rising just before parallel I have this stciking point, I lean forward more than feels normal, then straigthen back up after the last 1/3 of the lift. It seems like the only way I can complete the lift after this sticking point is to lean forward...

If you haven't already done so, read through the squat sticky in the powerlifting forum. Some of the pointers in there, particularly focusing on pushing your knees out on the way up and keeping your torso close to vertical, might help you avoid leaning too much.

EDIT: A stance that's too narrow could be another factor that's contributing to the tendency to lean.

when i do that its because im looking down, which causes my head to tilt down a bit, which causes my entire back to look down,,,

try focusing towards the cieling and lifting ur head back so ur back stays stright, and pushing more with your heels and the back of your body than rocking forward and pushing with your toes

mainly the looking up thing though, - if your looking up, (and keeping your back straight)- you will fail in the squat with your legs, before your back falls forward and down

yes I do try all that (push heels, look up, torso straight, shoulders back) but half way up something gives and the only way to complete the lift is to lean forward...otherwise I get stuck and have to rack the bar!!

If the problem is that "something gives", core exercises might help. Reducing the weight to a level where you aren't forced to lean would probably be a good idea as well.

kiosk said:
yes I do try all that (push heels, look up, torso straight, shoulders back) but half way up something gives and the only way to complete the lift is to lean forward...otherwise I get stuck and have to rack the bar!!
whats ur deadlift at?

if its that bad, its probably because your back and hips are just straight up weak

weaker hammies usually, since your leaning forward to put the stress on the lower back and glutes which are stronger

also could be form, you have to concentrate and drive through your heels and force your head back into the bar, while staying tight all over

you could switch to sumo squats to hit the hammies more and reduce your lean at the same time. i looove me some PLer style squats.

could be my hams.....my lifts are pathetic now, I am cutting now and not eating as much/well, not sleeping well, moving between homes....sucks @ss.
On the 5x5 I am only at 205 with the squats and 225 with the DL, which is a total f'ing joke! anything heavier and I start leaning forward on the SQ. Help!

Try making an effort to lead with your hips and head. I try to think of breaking first at the hips with a squat and at the knees with a pull.

One suggestion madcow had a while back is to imagin someone pushing you in your chest as you start to rise. The only other thing you can do is to reduce the wieght for a while and keep your form as you want it to be until the lagging muscles catch up.

Top Bottom