Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fat kids

I guess my concern with this article is the fact that weight perception differs in African American and Hispanic cultures compared to white. What white people tend to consider overweight or the "normal" weight would be considered "Skinny" in other cultures. Lets face it if you look at those so-called charts I would weigh about 95 pounds for my height, whereas I'm 130 and still wear a size 2 pant (just fill them out a little better than your "model" 2). So when they say as compared to, compared to who other African American and Hispanics or all against each other. Of course, I'm not disputing the overweight factor because just looking at the public at large, and I do mean at LARGE there are some seriously obese mugs out there!

Its really sad..I have a friend,whos fat, who has a 2 year old that she is making fat...She gives her 3 bottles a night (whole milk - 8ozs) plus she lives on fast food or whatever she wants..she's in a size 5 and has more cellulite on her butt than ive ever seen...my friend thinks its cute:eek: She waddles around and can hardly sit up if shes lying on the floor...this kid doesnt even have a chance :(

I thought I saw this article on here, but I'll repeat it:

Fat Kids Not Destined to Be Fat Adults

But Going From Slim Kid to Stocky Grown-Up is Especially Dangerous By Michael Smith , MD

WebMD Medical News

Nov. 29, 2001 -- Obesity in children continues to rise, but does this mean we'll soon have even more overweight adults? That's what many have suspected, but a new study shows it isn't necessarily the case.

Previous studies have shown that kids who are at the top of their class as far as weight and height are more likely to become overweight adults. And other studies have reported that these kids stand a greater chance of developing diseases in adulthood. But research until now has not established whether overweight kids actually do become obese adults.

So, English researchers looked at 412 children and followed them all the way up to age 50.

They found that although overweight teenagers were more likely to become overweight adults, most obese adults were not heavy when they were children. And, thin children were not protected from becoming heavy adults.

In fact, the thinnest kids who became fat adults developed the most health problems. They were more likely than others to have abnormal blood sugar levels -- an early sign of diabetes -- as well as high blood pressure and cholesterol.

The findings hold some good news: being an overweight kid doesn't necessarily mean you're destined to be an overweight adult.

But there is cause for alarm here, too. Thin kids are not immune to becoming obese as they age. And those who do go from lean to large were most likely to develop heart disease and stroke risk factors in adulthood.

Once again, research is showing us we need to get serious and aggressive about weight control. If we don't, our current obesity epidemic may well become an epidemic of heart disease and diabetes.

Here's another one from Oct. 2001:
This is scary shit. I think about all the anxiety I've had over my weight and I was never an obese kid. I just "expressed my personal estrogen" very "loudly" at puberty. My cousin ( a guy) is 2 days older than I am, 6 feet tall and 375 lbs. He had high blood pressure at age 12 and I'm sure he is diabetic (his father is also). I often dont' think he'll live to see 40. The social abuse he's taken is ungodly and yet there's nothing I can do to help him at this point unless he goes after it himself.

Obese Kids Show Early Signs of Heart Disease

Highlights the Need for Aggressive Intervention By Michael Smith , MD

WebMD Medical News

Oct. 26, 2001 -- Our national obesity epidemic is more than a cosmetic problem. It's a threat to our kids. Previous studies have suggested that heart disease related to obesity may start in childhood, and the latest study provides hard evidence that this is, in fact, the case.

French researchers looked at 48 obese children to determine if they were already showing early signs of being at risk for heart disease. The kids ranged in age 4 to 16, and weighed between 78 and 277 pounds. These children were compared with other kids of the same age, but normal weight -- from 42 to 140 pounds.

The researchers examined how well the children's blood vessels functioned. Abnormal blood vessel function indicates a real risk of developing heart disease down the road. The study is published in the Oct. 27 issue of The Lancet.

They found that in the obese kids, blood vessels were more likely to be stiff, to show signs of stress on their walls, and to not respond appropriately to changes in blood flow.

These blood vessel abnormalities are of serious concern -- especially in children - since they can be early signs of the cascade of events leading to blocked arteries and heart attacks.

Studies like this one highlight the need for all us to become more aggressive in fighting obesity. In the U.S., the problem continues to worsen, and if it persists, our obesity epidemic may soon become a heart disease epidemic.

Hmmm scientific studies aside, there is NO DOUBT that Americans are getting fatter. It doesn't matter which age or ethnic group you look at, folks are getting fatter. So maybe some ethnic groups are getting fatter at a greater rate (due to a combo of genetic and social factors), but to deny that lifestyle obesity exists is to bury your head in the sand. We're talking about populations/cultures/races that have never had obesity problems before urbanization. Modern urbanization can encompass major changes in physical activity (and entertainment), food sources/quality, sociale mores, and prejudice, to name a few.

To put it more in perspective, I was at a seminar yesterday where a medical researcher was presenting genetic data trying to link Type II diabetes in a race to genetic abnormalities. It was clear to me (from the data that this researcher presented) that the VAST majority of adult onset diabetes was due to obesity and generally shitty lifestyle changes that lead to obesity. Yet this person was still trying to find some minor, rare genetic contribution to the development of Type II diabetes.

I'm a big believer in a genetic set-point, that some people are mean tot be bigger than others. I think that, perhaps, the first article supports this. Skinny kids probably have fast metabolisms, so the weight gain is probably a sign of poor lifestyle (since they don't have a heavy set-point) Heavy kids might be more likely to have a slow metabolism, so if they are heavy as adults, it might not have as much to do with poor lifestyle as with genetics.

I don't think the fat itself is generally what causes most of the linked problems, but rather the lifestyle of which the fat is a symptom. Of course, this is more my pet theory than super scientifically grounded. What I have read so far seems to support it (although I've read articles that note that abdominal fat in particular seems to do bad things) but I need to read more and definetly need to get some scientific tools so i can properly evaluate what I read (haven't taken any science since high school).

Sassy~ you said you were a skinny kid who ballooned.. was this due to lifestyle or did it just seem to happen?

The clients I see at my clinic are mostly obese...they have diabetes.... Which is due to their weight problem; along w/ high blood pressure...high cholesterol...and so on...we had to take a woman to the emergency room a week ago her blood pressure was 190/96.She is on all types of medication. The funny thing is the clients that are going through the program and beginning to lose a good deal of weight..guess what?? Their blood pressure magically goes down...So many of these issues can be controlled by proper diet and exercise. We are just too lazy and take meds instead, to cure a simple problem that can be prevented.... Most of these clients children have weight issues as well, due to the fact they are not fed properly and eat crap like their parents...Eating healthy is not convenient so most Americans do not do it and the result...more fast food restaurants are popping up and we are becoming fat and out of control...eating for any reason in the world w/ no self control.

I used to have more sympathy for this but the more I see this every day and hear people whine and cry about their life and why they eat all the time and are overweight it makes me sick! You have a choice to control your body and what you do. Giving in is easy so that is what we do. I hear all the time I dont have time to exercise..to prepare my meals ahead of time..I have to go to Christmas parties..they are baking me plates of food...yada yada yada..Every season has its excuse...and the said thing is these bad habits get passed on to young children that are being directed in the wrong way when it comes to healthy eating and an active lifestyle..

Hmm...

no matter what that one article states, in my experience, I've seen very few fat kids that didn't end up fat adults. Of course, no scientific basis here, just looking at friends and relatives children.

As for society as a whole...just go to the mall or better yet Walmart! And look at teens...especially girls....i'm 40 and when i was in high school it was very rare to have a amount of chunky girls and guys that you see today...

But, then fast food wasn't as prevalent, we didn't have video games or computers, granted there was tv...but it just seems that children spend more time being sedentary now...

I know with my own child..we've been careful to limit TV, video & computer....and he plays sports year round....not to mention doing outside activities with us...riding bikes, hiking/walking, going to the park....we aren't couch potatoes and neither is he...and we don't do a lot of fast food....he even likes protein bars when we're on the go....

You have a choice to control your body and what you do.

This is the most challenging part of life -- you have a choice to sit on your ass and watch TV while chomping thru bags of chips & beer or bags of m&ms for days on end. YOu have a choice to sit in front of the computer all day. You have a choice to stick with a job you completely hate or you can look for something better.

People have choices but they just dont' want to commit to anything to do something about it. Not to slam anyone, but you have a choice & you can decide what is more important - for example, not going to a gym because you are not comfortable about how you look in a big pair of sweats in front of other people, so you just dont' go. You are immediately a victim. Why be afraid of anything. Just focus on what you are trying to accomplish or just sit back be a victim the rest of your life. Accept mediocrity and the shitty existence your weight / health problems / etc etc etc leave you with because you won't do anything about it. You can collect all the diets in the world, hire a trainer, buy a complete home gym, whatever - but if you don't COMMIT & EXECUTE its just lost money.

I know we all battle with this sort of thing - I'm definitely a "victim" of my preference to sleep in than go to the gym for some AM cardio, but each day I don't go I can *feel* that I didn't go -- my body doesn't like me for it. So I'll go when I am finally at the point where the is no question as to which I get more satisfaction from - that extra 45 min of sleep or some sweat on a treatmill. I may hate it the first 15 min, but for that, I'll be a happier, more wide-awake person during the day, and a leaner person in a couple of weeks. So where's the argument??

D'oh!

Top Bottom