Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fast Twitch SLow Twitch discussion

coolcolj said:
all your fibers will be recruited by 80% of 1RM, after than it's all rate coding

I disagree if by saying all fibers you include slow-twitch... And I agree if by that you mean that w 80% weight you attempt to be explosive your body will respond by activating more motor units and fibers... But the STs will still be sleeping like nothing happened. I love this scheme for squats.

3x3 60%mr done explosively (jump squat)
2x5 85-90%mr all out
1x20 50-60% to get the STs
1x50reps 25%mr to work on capilar density

This work greatly if you hit a plateau specially w strength issues.

Your wrong :)

slow twitch fibers always get recruited, it's the fastest fibers that aren't always recruited....
that's why fast twitch fibers are also called high threshold fibers

and yes, by 80% of 1RM, all motor units are recruited. After that exta force is generated by rate coding.

It was my understanding, that the following are pretty accurate values:

1-6 reps : power / strength

8-12 reps : hypertrophy

15 reps + : muscular endurane

Anything between is a mix, i.e. 14 reps would be a mix between hypertrophy and muscular endurance and 7 reps would be a mix between strength training and hypertrophy.

My only issue is I truly believe that you need AT LEAST 8 reps to attain muscle hypertrophy. 6 reps just wont cut it.

Tatyana said:
I have a hunch that the heavier you lift causes greater neural adaptation.

General rule of thumb

Less than 5 reps = strength

6-12 reps = strength and hypertrophy

More than 12 reps = endurance

I think all of the rep ranges have their place in bodybuilding

It is a bit late for my brain, I will have to post more tomorrow.

enigma4dub said:
so if hypertrophy seems to be coming relatively easy for the trainee in the 5 rep range does one assume that he he is fast twitch fiber dominant? and what is going on with the slow twitch fibers in the lower rep ranges. and im being specific for 5.

'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but are you saying 5 reps will yield hypertrophy? That's wouldn't be very accurate bro. The muscle needs at least 8 reps for hypertrophy. 5-6 reps are not enough IMO.

But , as always, I'm willing to negotiate and discuss. So please provide me with evidence that 5 reps will achieve hypertrophy and I'll consider it.

coolcolj said:
Your wrong :)

slow twitch fibers always get recruited, it's the fastest fibers that aren't always recruited....that's why fast twitch fibers are also called high threshold fibers

and yes, by 80% of 1RM, all motor units are recruited. After that exta force is generated by rate coding.

Well you just contradicted yourself...

Ok I know you are right regarding the recruitment of the STs and the possibility of the FT-2b no being activated if your work on the 80% rm :) but the main point is in order to get the STs to grow (I know they are less capable that fast-twitch) you have to hit them hard on their rep-range not just activate them (it's not like turning the ignition on a car that he will actually start moving is it?). By the way a good example of when the FT-2b are fully activated are exactly strongman events and life and death situations.

It's proven that even with 3reps workouts your muscle can grow but a little on a long term training. Examples powerlifters and olympic lifters by doing squats, front squats over the years they grow big not going further than 5 reps.

the_alcatraz said:
'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but are you saying 5 reps will yield hypertrophy? That's wouldn't be very accurate bro. The muscle needs at least 8 reps for hypertrophy. 5-6 reps are not enough IMO.

But , as always, I'm willing to negotiate and discuss. So please provide me with evidence that 5 reps will achieve hypertrophy and I'll consider it.

lol. (prerequisite) i have never touched a drop of aas. you are looking at a physique established in that rep range. you are a strong and knowledgable bro but you have some serious inconsitencies in your knowledge. thinking that you can only hypertrophy in a particular rep range is ignorant to say the least.

enigma4dub said:
lol. (prerequisite) i have never touched a drop of aas. you are looking at a physique established in that rep range. you are a strong and knowledgable bro but you have some serious inconsitencies in your knowledge. thinking that you can only hypertrophy in a particular rep range is ignorant to say the least.

Thinking that you can hypertrophy in 5-6 reps is ignorance in itself bro.
I dnt even get a pump with 5 reps....I get strong, yes...but to do only 5 reps means i'm going for a weight that i can only do 4 reps with and im pushing myself to do 5 reps......that will enable you to cheat most of the times and you might get a pump and you will get stronger, but hypertrophy you will nt achieve. I think if you look at all the books out there regarding fitness and muscular training you will see that the concept of hypertrophy is usually associated with a higher rep range, def. higher that 5-6 reps.

Top Bottom