Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dumbell Shoulder Presses 90 Degrees Or Not??????????????

punch

No doubt this has been brought up before, but I think its important enough to mention again. When doing dumbell shoulder presses should you be at 90 degrees or slightly less than 90.

It seems to me that if you are less than 90 degrees you incorporate some chest into the movement, however a lot more weight can be used. At 90 degrees it feels as if it hits my shoulders more, but is somewhat uncomfortable on my joints. So which is it? Do you sacrifice direct stimulation for heavier weight by putting the bench at a greater angle?

I religiously go with 90 degree angle DB shoulder presses because of the direct stimulation it gives to the shoulders. As long as you are using correct technique (I use a 402 rhythm - 4 seconds negative, 0 seconds pause, 2 seconds positive) and you are using weights within your ability you shouldn't cause any serious injury to your joints. Make sure you aren't pulling your shoulders back behind you, and that you have good back support when performing shoulder presses.

As far as angled shoulder presses, what is the point unless you aren't already working chest separately? Sure, you might be able to lift more, but you will no longer be hitting the shoulders as directly, thereby eliminating any benefit that might come from lifting the heavier weights.

Good point bro!! I wonder though why some of the shoulder press stations for barbell at gyms are slightly angled? Your point makes sense. Anatomically it makes the most sense to be at 90 for direct stimulation. Thanks for the input!!

Isnt 90 degress extremely bad for the shoulder joint?

Surely it should not be 90 degrees, I mean the shoulder press naturally stimulates the upper chest ANYWAY doesnt it?

I thought it was supposed to as secondary

Barbell shoulder press does as you start the lift from the top half of your chest

am i talking shit or right?

yeah i definately do not do 90 degrees, i feel it much more if i don't for some reason, and going 90 degrees is bad for the joints.

To each his own, but it sounds like you guys with joint problems are not doing shoulder presses with correct technique. I've always done them at 90 degrees and have never had a problem. At what angle are you doing shoulder presses? Anything more than 5 degrees is going to start incorporating your chest much more.

Think about it... the military press is performed at a 90 degree angle, and the dumbell press is simply the DB equivalent of that shoulder exercise.

Go 90 degrees and keep your elbows back throughout the entire ROMand tighten your lats to stabilize your shoulder girdle. If you can't do this, you're going too heavy. There are few people who can use big weight and do this correctly, most people cheat on this exercise.

Top Bottom