Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

does ephedra lower blood sugar the way caffiene does?

Poantrex,I'll admit I jumped the gun on the issue.Yes,I have read alot of pubmed studies on caffeine and IR and,sure,it does cause IR and elevated insulin.I assumed that the hypoglycemia some experience was due to the elevated insulin.
I personally have had severe hypo episodes on Caffeine (also measure with a glucometer).

Do you agree that insulin resistant people often suffer from hypoglycemic episodes?I have heard doctors say that sugar crashes are a sign that you might develop diabetes unless you change your diet/lifestyle - I assume it's because too much insulin is secreted which causes IR.

Regarding steroids:they do cause hypoglycemic episodes in some people.For example Winstrol often does this.I have heard of people getting hypo even on GH - I assumed this was due to the increased insulin levels it causes.

I want to know more about this....

posthuman said:
Poantrex,I'll admit I jumped the gun on the issue.Yes,I have read alot of pubmed studies on caffeine and IR and,sure,it does cause IR and elevated insulin.I assumed that the hypoglycemia some experience was due to the elevated insulin.
I personally have had severe hypo episodes on Caffeine (also measure with a glucometer).

Do you agree that insulin resistant people often suffer from hypoglycemic episodes?I have heard doctors say that sugar crashes are a sign that you might develop diabetes unless you change your diet/lifestyle - I assume it's because too much insulin is secreted which causes IR.

Regarding steroids:they do cause hypoglycemic episodes in some people.For example Winstrol often does this.I have heard of people getting hypo even on GH - I assumed this was due to the increased insulin levels it causes.

I want to know more about this....

As I explained earlier, People with insulin resistance suffer from a disorder that causes adipose and muscle cells to not accept glucose intake properly - when this happens after eating for example, your blood glucose will be elevated from the food intake. Then insulin will be produced by the pancreas to distribute the blood glucose, but it can't be disposed efficiently because muscle/adipose cells are resistant to it.

So basically, you have a bunch of glucose floating around in the bloodstream that insulin cannot get rid of, since the cells aren't efficient at absorbing it. It is not possible to become hypo from being insulin resistant.

poantrex said:
It is not possible to become hypo from being insulin resistant.
But isn't being IR a matter of degree?I mean,there are some obese people who for sure are somewhat insulin resistant who suffer from blood sugar swings and,yes,frequently go hypo,no?If a bodybuilder is somewhat insulin resistant from stimulants,AAS,GH and excess food (not just carbs cause IR but all macronutrients consumed to excess can cause it)- does that mean they cannot go hypo ever?Doesn't make sense to me.
Like I said earlier,Docs warn that going hypo frequently is a sign of developing IR.It's not like you go from being insulin sensitive one day and the,BAM,you are insulin resistant and constantly hyperglycemic.You can maintain normal blood glucose while being insulin resistant since the body increases insulin secretion - that's why,when suspected of IR,you also check insulin levels and not just blood glucose right?Are you sure you cannot be somewhat insulin resistant and not ever go hypo?

Hope I'm making sense,LOL :)

posthuman said:
But isn't being IR a matter of degree?I mean,there are some obese people who for sure are somewhat insulin resistant who suffer from blood sugar swings and,yes,frequently go hypo,no?If a bodybuilder is somewhat insulin resistant from stimulants,AAS,GH and excess food (not just carbs cause IR but all macronutrients consumed to excess can cause it)- does that mean they cannot go hypo ever?Doesn't make sense to me.
Like I said earlier,Docs warn that going hypo frequently is a sign of developing IR.It's not like you go from being insulin sensitive one day and the,BAM,you are insulin resistant and constantly hyperglycemic.You can maintain normal blood glucose while being insulin resistant since the body increases insulin secretion - that's why,when suspected of IR,you also check insulin levels and not just blood glucose right?Are you sure you cannot be somewhat insulin resistant and not ever go hypo?

Hope I'm making sense,LOL :)

Well, you can go hypo if you starve yourself for a week. Otherwise....no I don't see it happening.

Going hypo is pretty rare anyway, unless you're using pharmaceuticals that can cause it....stimulants don't cause hypoglycemia.

i had 2 apples and a banana a few hours pre-workout for my carb up to test fonz's post about filled liver glyco....then had a coffee and was good to go. had a great workout..i will only caffeine it up when theres carbs already in my system

poantrex said:
Proof, is where. I've seen a TON of studies showing caffeine induces insulin resistance, and there is no rebound within 30 or 45 minutes. That is ridiculous because of caffeine's half life

You're failing to comprehend what insulin resistance is.

When you take caffeine..a CNS stimulant, you increase C-AMP, which in turns mobilizes fatty acids to be burned for fuel.

Since FFA's are being burned for fuel preferrentially due to the caffeine's effects on C-aMP, incoming glucose(From food, or liver glycogen, and muscle glycogen) is not excreted or stored(Muscle cells, fat cells) at a normal rate(Due to the fact FFA's are being oxidized at an accelerated pace due to the caffeine, instead of the glucose in your blood stream), and you get moderate to high blood glucose levels.

HOWEVER, the increase in blood glucose levels peaks, and the drops. And in susceptible individuals this causes hypoglycaemia.

What caffeine does is SPARE muscle/liver glycogen in favor of fat oxidation. Hence why it's called an ergogenic aid.
It's a simple concept really.

Fonz said:
You're failing to comprehend what insulin resistance is.

When you take caffeine..a CNS stimulant, you increase C-AMP, which in turns mobilizes fatty acids to be burned for fuel.

Since FFA's are being burned for fuel preferrentially due to the caffeine's effects on C-aMP, incoming glucose(From food, or liver glycogen, and muscle glycogen) is not excreted or stored(Muscle cells, fat cells) at a normal rate(Due to the fact FFA's are being oxidized at an accelerated pace due to the caffeine, instead of the glucose in your blood stream), and you get moderate to high blood glucose levels.

HOWEVER, the increase in blood glucose levels peaks, and the drops. And in susceptible individuals this causes hypoglycaemia.

What caffeine does is SPARE muscle/liver glycogen in favor of fat oxidation. Hence why it's called an ergogenic aid.
It's a simple concept really.

So where's your proof at. There are far too many studies showing various sympathomimetics causing hyperglycemia with no rebound hypoglycemia. I'll find them later and post them

poantrex said:
So where's your proof at. There are far too many studies showing various sympathomimetics causing hyperglycemia with no rebound hypoglycemia. I'll find them later and post them

Still wrong.

Caffeine is not a Sympathomimetic. It's a methyl-xanthine. Big difference.

Fonz said:
4. Caffeine can cause REBOUND hypoglycaemia. But this largely depends on your insulin sensitivity. I never have, (I did use a BG monitor) but I have seen people who do.

Ditto!!!

Top Bottom