Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Do you get paid interest on your checking account?

since my average daily balance is just abougt enough for a large snowball i seldom worry about this.
 
PICK3 said:
I have to look into a money market account.

I may be getting boned.


Money Market Saving Account
I used to have one with Citibank a million years again.

Citibank has a saving acc. right now 4.65% - no fees no minimums

ING is 4.50%
 
WaMu has an online savings that's 5% right now! No Min., open with $1. (if you open up a WaMu Free Checking w/ it, but our account seriously kicks A$$! :) ). Then you can just keep the bulk of your money in the Savings, and transfer to the checking online as need be.
 
Yeah if your idle loot isn't getting at least 5% you throwing away cash. Shop around and don't let your preferred bank give you BS about FDIC protection.
 
most stock brokerage firms will give you an account that you can write checks on.. and they will pay interest..
 
mightymouse69 said:
like 0.2% what a waste
+1. Anything under 5% isn't worth the effort.
 
velvett said:
Money Market Saving Account
I used to have one with Citibank a million years again.

Citibank has a saving acc. right now 4.65% - no fees no minimums

ING is 4.50%


God Damn your old
 
SpyWizard said:
wamu is great...

WaMu is great. I have a checking with them as well. Someone told me Wells Fargo is going to buy them out??? anyone heard any truth to this matter? that would suck. some of the rudest MF'ers are at WElls Fargo.
 
caligirl said:
WaMu is great. I have a checking with them as well. Someone told me Wells Fargo is going to buy them out??? anyone heard any truth to this matter? that would suck. some of the rudest MF'ers are at WElls Fargo.

Noo, I haven't heard that. I work for WaMu, not that that means they tell us EVERYTHING :) But, I haven't heard that. We did sell a LOT of our Mortgages to Wells, but that's about it.
 
So is a money market account the same as a savings account, but with the ability to write a few checks per month?
 
PICK3 said:
So is a money market account the same as a savings account, but with the ability to write a few checks per month?

Yeah, exactly. But a lot, or at least at WaMu, you have to keep at least 2500 in the MM account, AND it doesn't earn nearly as much as the online savings. I think for 0-4,999 it pays 0.15% (in TX anyway).
 
fitnessgrl8621 said:
Yeah, exactly. But a lot, or at least at WaMu, you have to keep at least 2500 in the MM account, AND it doesn't earn nearly as much as the online savings. I think for 0-4,999 it pays 0.15% (in TX anyway).

I thought it was the other away around, e.g. the MM account earned more than savings accounts.

At my bank a saving account yields these miserable numbers (APY):

$0.01–$9,999.99 0.50%
$10,000–$24,999.99 2.35%
$25,000–$49,999.99 2.65%
$50,000–$149,999.99 3.75%
$150,000–$249,999.99 4.00%
Over $250,000 4.25%

Why don't money market and traditional savings accounts earn the same (or nearly the same) interest?
 
PICK3 said:
I thought it was the other away around, e.g. the MM account earned more than savings accounts.

At my bank a saving account yields these miserable numbers (APY):

$0.01–$9,999.99 0.50%
$10,000–$24,999.99 2.35%
$25,000–$49,999.99 2.65%
$50,000–$149,999.99 3.75%
$150,000–$249,999.99 4.00%
Over $250,000 4.25%

Why don't money market and traditional savings accounts earn the same (or nearly the same) interest?

Oh yeah ... does Peter put his money in a money market or savings account?

okthxbye
 
PICK3 said:
I thought it was the other away around, e.g. the MM account earned more than savings accounts.

At my bank a saving account yields these miserable numbers (APY):

$0.01–$9,999.99 0.50%
$10,000–$24,999.99 2.35%
$25,000–$49,999.99 2.65%
$50,000–$149,999.99 3.75%
$150,000–$249,999.99 4.00%
Over $250,000 4.25%

Why don't money market and traditional savings accounts earn the same (or nearly the same) interest?


All the companies are creating online savings and checking accounts and have high interest rates because they are all competing for the same customers, so once one company did it, the rest had to follow.
 
I think it's because money markets are more traditional, have been around forever, and lots of people already use them.

The companies are offering crazy rates on the savings purely to build a customer base, and since these are relatively new each co. wants to get their market share ASAP so it's a promotion dealio. Some of the accounts only offer the 5% rate on the initial deposit, it's a lower rate for anything deposited after the initial deposit, make sure you read the agreement.

Fitness girl can probably offer better insight....

I have a WaMu one.
 
Honestly it all depends on what bank, and how much you have in the account. Around here citizens bank is the best option for money market..However, with my bank that I use it is better to have a checking. Money markets only allow a certain amount of checks and withdrawels a month where as checking it does not matter.
 
Top Bottom