Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

DL - barbell position

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
When doing at what heigth is the barbell at the end of the movement (when you stand up) ?

It depends on how width is your grip but should it be at mid quads, higher ?

[It's because I already hurt myself when the barbell reach my scrotum - and it is not funny guys]

it depends - for me it's a little higher than mid pelvis. but i guess what youre really asking is do you end up dragging it over your sack and the answer is yes - at least for me.

ive never really quite thought about it.but i keep my hands so that when i finish my pull my hands are just on the outside of my quads..which i would think is just below the sack..lol

mine reaches an inch or two below where my waistline is. i grip about 6" out from my shins, keeping my feet slightly closer than a shoulder's length apart.

squat all the way down in front of the bar, and, while keeping your back tight, lift the bar up. it is important that you keep your entire back tight and STRAIGHT when lifting. i've seen many people cheat their way to 275 in deads, but their backs were more curved than st. louis' arch. when you keep your back straight, you place a majority of the load on your back (not the spine).

this looks like poor form to me:
http://www.gometal.com/kuvia/warren_rozen_300.jpg

good form:
http://www.topfit.nu/power/deadlift.gif

his back is straight

when you perform them correctly, you should feel it mostly in your middle back.

where is the pain you're experiencing?

I guess it's because I have a larger than shoulder's width grip and at the top of the movement I'm leaning back too far / trying to pull the shoulders back (squeezing the shoulder blades together) too much

BTW it is SLDL rather than conventional DL

the guy on the couch said:
mine reaches an inch or two below where my waistline is. i grip about 6" out from my shins, keeping my feet slightly closer than a shoulder's length apart.

squat all the way down in front of the bar, and, while keeping your back tight, lift the bar up. it is important that you keep your entire back tight and STRAIGHT when lifting. i've seen many people cheat their way to 275 in deads, but their backs were more curved than st. louis' arch. when you keep your back straight, you place a majority of the load on your back (not the spine).

when you perform them correctly, you should feel it mostly in your middle back.

where is the pain you're experiencing?

keep in mind some people pull very successfully rounded back. it means rounded UPPER back the lower back is stabilized and straight. im not sure i agree that you should feel most of this in the back. this is a full body movement. spinal erectors are stabilizers and the movement happens at the hips and legs. if you are feeling alot of this in your back, you are too far forward. if this is a SLDL, push your hips BACK! your knees will bend a bit.

i agree with bignate...stiff leg deads are mainly a ham. exercise, although i feel some in my lower back, its mostly in my hams. also, pointers to add...take a stance about shoulder width, and grip the bar shoulder width as well. start with your knees slightly bent. as you lower the weight, push your hips back, and keep your lower back tight. find the point where you start to lose the tension in your back, just before this is the point where you should reverse directions (for me, this is about mid shin.) when you reverse, explode up and thrust your hips forward as you would in a squat.
hope this can help you out.

SLDL's are a whole different bag. sorry for the miscommunicaion :)

yeah... i usually take a slightly wider stance than shoulder length, and grip the bar about shoulder length. keeping my ass pointed back, and lower back and abs tight, i pick the bar up using mostly my hams. when lowering the bar, i try to keep my back tight enough so when the bar gets close to the ground, i can feel my hamstrings stretch out. should feel it in the hams mostly, but some lower back, and some glutes.

good luck!

thing you gotta be careful with SLDL's is that when you come up you squeeze your glutes, if you stay bent over, yeah your hammies will hold the weight, but so will your lower back. one will be the weak link eventually. Alot of my clients when they first start tend to stay bent over and wonder why their back is tight after the set, i tell them to push their hips into the bar (bang the bar) and they dont notice it in their back anymore. activates the glutes.

Top Bottom