Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts every other week?

yeah me to man i though i was doing them wrong i did them once a week on monday and than did heav squats on wends or thurs can't rmber but my back would tighgten up like hat to so i interchange deadlifts one week and heavy squats the next on theweek that i do heavy squats i do ower rack dead lifts and on the week i do regular dead lifts i do 45 degree leg press.

This is the problem-

Deadlifts are extremely taxing to the body (read effective). That being said they can really cut into your recovery from other exercises.

Now you have to take into account your entire program or goal for the phase you are in right now to decide how you should train them.

- Are you specifically working on your deadlift? If yes, then train it every week and let the other lifts suffer or decrease the total volume and number of assistance exercises to provide extra recovery.

-Are you training the deadlift light and gradually increasing volume each week to build your lift (i.e. training by %'s)? Then you should continue to train them every week and build the lift with the others - probably benches and squats also as this is common for powerlifters. As the weight increases total volume and assistance exercises are paired down.

-Are you following an 'intensity' style HIT program where you train very heavy every week? Then the deadlift is going to hurt your recovery unless you scale back the other exercises. If DL isn't your focus then scale it back to every other week. ****I guarantee this is what your friends are going whether they know it or not.****

So here are the 3 basic reasons to do it every week or more infrequently. Remember that it could also be varied in a heavy/light manner with alternating workouts. There are even some programs that train it 3 times per week but only 1 heavy day (Stephen Kortes' 3x3 training consisting only of the powerlifts).

Everyone is different as are everyone's reasons for training the lift. What is undisputable is that when training for strength and size the deadlift is extremely effective, for the majority of humans it is more effective than the squat for the overall body, and should not be neglected especially during a mass building phase.

Good as Gold

ROAD DOG said:
In the last 2 weeks I have had 2 different people in my gym tell me you should only do deadlifts once every 2 weeks.Is this true?If you are on the juice should you be able to do them every week?
This is the gold standard for growing brother. The reasononing behind this is that you have to squat too and doing the same exericses (granted that you are working them hard/heavy) in the same week will cause overtraining and possible injuries.
Now if you are a NEWBIE to deadlifts I'd say do the deads once a week until you feel its potentially going to interfere with your squat/leg workouts then its time to go every other week.
The week that you are deadlifting your leg w/o should be presses/hacks,ect, but NO squats.
I'D suggest training deads with your back and making them the first exercise in your routine. Depending on how hard you hit the deads will tell you what exercises you'll want to do next. I dont reccomend bent over rows or even heavy cable rows due to the heavy involvement of the lower back.
The nex back w/o would be centered around heavy bent rows and chins/pulldowns and another ancullary excercise of your choice. Sorry to talk so much but this mehod gave me alot of success.

well

i do both in the same workout and most colelges do this for football. i thought that it wouldnt work till i did it. that way u do the 2 hardest lifts i nteh same day and ur body fully heals and has a week to rest. i have gotten a hell of a lot stronger and a much thicker back from doing it this way

I deadlift ew but I alternate light and heavy, doing vice-versa with sqauts. If I don't do this (i.e., I tend to get knee and back problems).

Once every 2 weeks for me..and the reason I do this is that I can't do deadlifts and bent over rows in the same workout.......my lower back gets trashed..so on 1 week deads the next bent rows.......

I do back and legs on the same day. Fuck, talk about being trashed.

I do heavy deads and heavy squats, both once a week on the same day. But, I only do 3 work sets of 3-6 reps for deads. I will attempt a max maybe once a month. I try to do 8-10 reps for squats, but I never max on squats as I've fucked up my lower back too many times trying to. Funny, deads actually have made my low-back feel better!

This has worked for me the last four months. My squat has improved by 20 lbs and my dead by 90 lbs. My leg press has improved by about 270 lbs. All this with some help from our "friends" (anabolics) :)

I guess the best thing to do is change shit up every six months or so. When you plateau, try something new.

well

big johnson i think u should do more reps for legs and squats since they r the largest bodypart it takes more reps for ur body to grow fro mthem. i usually do no less than 8 and usually do 15

In the past I've tried deadlifting every week but its just too hard on me so I stick to every other week. After heavy deads I feel almost sick for a few days my body aches so bad.

Top Bottom