Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cardio in morning on empty stomach

solrosenberg

I do my cardio at 8:30 am and don't take my morning protein shake utill I am done because everybody says you burn more stored fat this way. But, it seems like you will also be burning muscle if you wait this long before taking protein. Would taking a scoop of whey when I wake up the solution ? Or would if defeat the purpose of doing cardio on an empty stomach ?

confused

I have heard that the whole doing fasted cardio thing is a myth. I do mine in the middle of the day. I just leave enough time between meals so I don't have to run on a full stomach and cramp up. Usually eat/drink a shake right after, too.

I have heard that the whole doing fasted cardio thing is a myth. I do mine in the middle of the day. I just leave enough time between meals so I don't have to run on a full stomach and cramp up. Usually eat/drink a shake right after, too.

Bill Phillips ( former ceo of EAS and author of Body for life ) is a huge advocate for cardio in the AM on empty stomach. I think there is something to it, but are you also burning muscle ? So my question is, would taking 1-2 scoops of whey prior to cardio diminish the results ?

If you want to get shreeded do it on an empty stomach

I've spoken to melvin anthony at the show he won to qualify for the olympia . His trick is am cardio and stepmill at night

Isn't that why bodybuilders only powerwalk in the morning?

Since running or any other exercise that is too hard on muscles, burns too much muscles...

Fact: cortisol elevates after you wake up in the morning and is a catabolic hormone since it breaks down tissue for energy. It promotes the breakdown of lipids from body fat, and proteins from muscle. The former is good the latter is bad - thus the contraversy.

If you are concerned about losing muscle you can simply have 1/2 - 1 scoop whey protein or 5g BCAA before your morning session. This will keep cortisol a tad elevated for fat loss while giving your body the nutrients it needs to avoid breaking down muscle.

The biggest thing is just to get the damn cardio in. Easy. Lastly, if you want to burn fat you have to up the intensity. Try intervals or tabatas. A good interval is 45 second boxing drills, 10 second jump squats, 45 second boxing drill, 10 second pushups, repeat for 20 - 30 minutes. (you can add any high intensity work here - jump rope etc.) A tabata is a 6 - 8 round interval going 20 seconds on 10 seconds off. The 20 seconds can be any high intensity work and if you are advanced the 10 second rest can be something like a plank.

To tickle your fancy - do your stroll in the AM (make sure it is at least 45 mintues) and do an interval or tabata after your lifting. You will burn fat and your muscle will be just fine. IMHO

It is an ongoing controversy. I like this article - it goes back and forth so many times it will make your head spin:

T-Nation.com | The Fasted Cardio Roundtable

These 2 articles are just awesome. As for cardio in the AM i completely do it and must Natty Pro do it as well. Just have some BCAA and your fat burner and make sure not to over do it. Remember you just woke up ur glycogen storage should be mostly depleted and your body is on FAT BURNING MODE keep it light and long duration and the fat will melt

So if I understood that, the main thing is getting cardio in, any time of the day, but if you take some whey and fat burner then longer but lighter cardio is good in the morning, before breakfast, like running for a long distance but after weights, in the evening HIIT or sprint training is a better idea. Doing both is even better? Is that right?

And if so, what about if you run on the days you dont lift, should I do some long distance in the morning and HIIT in the evening? Which is more important aswell cuz I dont always have time for two runs a day...

Top Bottom