Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cardio and the 5X5???

wayneboard1

Ok guys so here is my delima. I am going to begin cutting (OFF cycle) in about 2 weeks. I like the 5X5 (or similar) plan, but I also need to trim down some BF I gained after my bulking cycle. The way I usually do cutting is I live on the eliptical 5 days a week afer I lift and after about 2 months I am where I need/want to be. However, I want to keep my strength and also do a workout that consists of the basic 5X5 type compund excercises. While I am not set on the loading/deloading facet of the 5X5, I'm having a hard time fitting these type of lifts in with so much cardio. I know my body and while diet is key, I require lots of cardio to really burn the fat off. My legs just can't handle so much squating AND so much cardio so can I keep all the excercises too 2-3 times a week and just do squats once a week maybe for a few months or what? I know this can't be that difficult but piecing it all together is eluding me. ANy help is appreciated and K will be sent your way.

Thanks!

From my experiences, you cannot really get the full benefits of a serious weight training program if cardio and cutting is your main focus, simply because your body is not getting the nutrients it needs to recover, grow, and make gains.

Since you'll be using an elliptical, at least your legs won't be subject to the beating that running puts on them.

You can squat once a week, or you can change your routine around a bit. You need to accept that the focus will be to hang on to as much strength as you can, and you need to know it will be tough. You have to get the idea that you will get stronger out of your head, and be glad to salvage as much strength as you can. You may have to back off your poundages initially and then rebuild them, or you may have to settle for just staying put and not gaining, but at least not losing, for the time, or you may have to suck it up and take the losses in strength in favor of your new goals.

I am going to throw some routines at you for conversation's sake and let me know what you think.....

Monday---Squats and Pulls
Tuesday---Upper Body (do lat work with upper)
Friday---Full Body

Or, you can Train on Monday and Thursday with full body workouts.......or, you can keep M-W-F and squat one, or even two days a week.....or you can keep it as is as do your best.

If you decide on how you'd like to train for now, you have many options, the important thing is that you realize that gains will either be slow, non-existent, or you may lose some.

BiggT said:
From my experiences, you cannot really get the full benefits of a serious weight training program if cardio and cutting is your main focus, simply because your body is not getting the nutrients it needs to recover, grow, and make gains.

Since you'll be using an elliptical, at least your legs won't be subject to the beating that running puts on them.

You can squat once a week, or you can change your routine around a bit. You need to accept that the focus will be to hang on to as much strength as you can, and you need to know it will be tough. You have to get the idea that you will get stronger out of your head, and be glad to salvage as much strength as you can. You may have to back off your poundages initially and then rebuild them, or you may have to settle for just staying put and not gaining, but at least not losing, for the time, or you may have to suck it up and take the losses in strength in favor of your new goals.

I am going to throw some routines at you for conversation's sake and let me know what you think.....

Monday---Squats and Pulls
Tuesday---Upper Body (do lat work with upper)
Friday---Full Body

Or, you can Train on Monday and Thursday with full body workouts.......or, you can keep M-W-F and squat one, or even two days a week.....or you can keep it as is as do your best.

If you decide on how you'd like to train for now, you have many options, the important thing is that you realize that gains will either be slow, non-existent, or you may lose some.

Thanks for the detailed reply and k to you. Regarding your first suggested workout routine, looking at that I could throw in cardio on wed. thurs, friday and sunday?

yeah, that works for the cardio. Again, your options are limitless. You can do cardio in the AM and lifting in the PM or vice versa, or cardio after lifting, or do them on separate days. Just a matter of personal preference and what works best for you and what you can fit into your schedule.

Top Bottom