Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Canola Oil on Ketogenic

PsychoSkitz

Mr. X stated that it's better to get a lot of your fat from oils as opposed to foods while on a Ketogenic diet.

Well, Canola Oil is 14 g of fat and 120 calories per TBSP and the stuff is TASTELESS. Well, at least I don't taste anything. I know a bunch of you will tell me I'm psychotic and it does have a tatse, but I swear it's tasteless :)

You all probably know that already but I figured I'd let you know because I know some of you cant stand the taste of other oils.

I just eat 1/4 of a cup of unsalted peanuts threw out the day. That amounts to only 6 carbs (0 sugar) and lots of good fat. There's even a little protein in there. I still use flaxseed once and a while, but I prefer to enjoy my fat intake buy eating it, rather than taking tablespoons of oil.

Yes, Canola Oil is fine...I use it with every CKD that I do. I mix 2 Tbspns of it with 6 Tablspoons of Heavy Whipping cream, then add 20-25 grams of whey protein and mix into a pudding. Then I add a packet of Equal for taste. Sometimes I will add a teaspoon or two of Metamucil (orange flavor/sugar free) for added fiber and lower GI benefits. Also, if I have it on hand, I will add a teaspoon of creatine for the hell of it. This is a great pudding recipe for a CKD/ketogenic meal.

You could add/subtract ingredients and make the pudding into a drink if ya wanted. Just a matter of preference.

MR. BMJ

Canola Oil is good. Have you tried Grapeseed oil (tasteless too). Also, sunflower seed oil is so awsome tasting. (i love the taste)
Mr.X:cool:

I'll give those other ones a try X.

This has been my most successful week on the CKD after making the little adjustments in my diet that you suggested- replacing some of the calories I've been getting from foods with calories from oils.

I take a tbsp of Canola and a tbsp of Flax right before bed. Is this okay?

Sure, you can have 1 tbsp of both before bed. But, it would probably be a good idea to see if it would not make your daily calorie intake too high. (1tbsp flax=130cal +1tbsp canola=140 => 270+ to daily intake)

Try the following: If you goto sleep at 9pm (for example), take 1 tbsp of flaxseed at 8 and 1 tbsp of canola at 9. See how it works for you.

Glad to hear that you are doing great. Keep up the hard work and you'll achieve all your goals ;)

I'll give that a try.

Have you ever heard of MCT Oil?

MCT oil can be used as a source of fat in the classical ketogenic diet. It offers a number of advantages:

MCT oil is more "ketogenic" than other fats, so when it is used, it may be possible to operate the diet at a lower ratio, which gives greater flexibility in the choice of foods.

Because it is fast acting, it can be used as a ketogenic pick me up, for example by giving additional MCT oil in the morning to boost ketones quickly.

MCT oil is also a laxative, which is often a useful thing with the ketogenic diet.

It also has some disadvantages:

It is not very palatable, and some children may not find it acceptable - no problem, of course, if the child is tube fed.

MCT oil can only be introduced slowly into the diet. Until the body adjusts to its use, it can cause severe stomach cramps.

It should not used where there is any history of liver problems.

We use MCT oil to increase the overall ketone level, and as a booster when ketones are low.

Yes, my friend, I have heard of MCT oil.;) But, unfortunately I react VERY VERY "badly" to MCT's. So, in turn, it is usually used very little if at all in my diet. Yes, it is a good source of "fat" for a higher ketone boost, but not a lot of people can take the taste. I personally think it's worst then Flaxseed.

Top Bottom