Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can only do a few pullups

Would maxing out on unasissted pull ups first, then going with some assisted ones for some extra reps be beneficial?

Now if I'm doing pullups mostly for size increase in my upper back, is it necessary to have have a wide grip? The pullup bar at my school gym only goes about shoulder width, unfortunately.

i have the same problem. i lift a decent amount compared to my weight (164 lbs), but cant do lots of pullups (barely 2x8, and then not even fully)

anyone can explain why i'm so much weakier on my pull ups relative to other excesices even though i'm pretty light??

dk563 said:
i have the same problem. i lift a decent amount compared to my weight (164 lbs), but cant do lots of pullups (barely 2x8, and then not even fully)

anyone can explain why i'm so much weakier on my pull ups relative to other excesices even though i'm pretty light??
Sure , I can ....you're week!:D

Aurther jones (the inventor of nautilus) also says the fastest way to increase your pull up is to do negatives.
Lower yourself as slow as possible ...say 8-10 seconds per rep ...and work youself up to 30 second reps ...when you can do that you wil have a big back.

work on lat pull downs, when you can work up to your own body weight for reps then you should be able to do chins, or pull-ups easily... Negatives help but i think the positive phase is more effective....

Let me share my experience....

I always had a pretty poor strength:weight ratio. But I wanted to start doing chins.... so I started with an underhand grip (palms facing you) with my hands a bit less than shoulder width apart. I could only do a few reps.... but even when I couldn't complete a full rep, I would continue doing as much of the rep as I could for a few times. Even if it was noly a few inches.

Surpringly with things like dips and chins, exercises where you use your own bodyweight, people seem to improve very fast. So after a while I was able to change to an overhand grip (palms facing forward).... and gradually, I widened my grip.

At my best, I could do 13 reps in one set with a wide, overhand grip. Nothing to write home about, but certainly an improvement.... since when I began, I could do only 3-4 with a close, underhand grip.

Maybe try building up like that. You'll be surprised how fast you improve.

I remember reading an article by Arnold in which he stated he did 50 reps of wide grip pull-ups. He did them by doing as many reps as he could continuously complete, then rest; then do as many as he could do again, then rest again. He did this till he was doing single reps, and kept it up till he hit his target of 50.

Seems a bit excessive to me, but I'm sure it would improve ones' pull-up capabilities.

MrsPuddlesFL said:
Would maxing out on unasissted pull ups first, then going with some assisted ones for some extra reps be beneficial?

In this rare case... if I am working with a woman - NO.

I've worked with several women to help get them to the point they can do pullups. I've found that once they can do a pullup... they progress much faster if I DON'T help them.

I think it is purely psychological. I think they start giving up too soon (i.e., stop when it gets hard and don't push to failure.) I've seen the quickest gains when they don't get any help and just push for higher numbers on their own.

I have problems doing FULL pullups... as when I get to the bottom (really streched out position) my shoulder disloactes. :)

I have to come down like only 3/4 of the way... I can PULL UP the entire way, but I can't go down to the bottom...

C-ditty

Top Bottom