Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can heavy flat bench dumbell flys build pec mass???

buddy28

Im hoping they can. Genetics have left me with a small chest. thats cool. Ill learn to live with it.

BUT .....working my pecs after a 5 month break from the gym, i incorporated some heavy flat bench flys low reps (4-5) reps...and my pecs are still sore 6+ days after. Insane. Ive never been this sore. :)

Im hoping heavy flys will help add alittle more mass to my pecs.

you prolly are sore from the 5 month layoff, newayz low reps are a good idea for trying to add mass. also your diet is giong to determine if you are gaining mass or not.

I always felt incline dumbell flyes more than the flat ones, for me it seems easier to isolate my pecs. Also, for me, any time I do heavy flyes on less than 8-10reps, it feels like I'm putting my pecs at risk for a tear. Even then, I can still do 85-90lb dumbells for sets of 8-10reps as my 3rd chest and last chest exercise, that's when they feel like they're doing me some good.
just my .002

I'd be REAL careful with heavy flies after that long a layoff. They put a huge strain on shoulders even for those who do them all the time. And, like needsize said, because they isolate the pecs so much, heavy weight will put you at a higher risk for a tear. So go easy bro.

Yes you can build pec mass with flys although the best way to build your chest is through a bench pressing program. When your bench goes up say 50 pounds in 12 weeks or your bench press increases a lot, your pecs will get bigger. I dont even do flys anymore but my chest is growing pretty fast. Last time I tried flys I could do like 70 lbs for 10 reps easily. You dont have to train flys to get better at doing them and a better chest will come with a better bench.

Try the westside system

Go to the powerlifting forum or www.elitefts.com for info about benching. It is your chance to turn those tiny pecs into TITANIC pecs!!

some european dude suggested i do heavy flys to build pec mass since im a delt/tri bencher. 4-5 reps per set.

genetically, Ive got large arms and shoulders, but my chest is really small,....which is why i decieded to incorporate heavy flys.

point is, benching, for me anyway, doesnt work all that well. My chest is so weak, and my arms are so strong, its hard to isolate my chest working.

Anyhow, fuck it. Ill use heavy flys with declines and inclines for a while and see how it works.

Heavy DBs, with a real good stretch have massed my chest.

a use the pyramid effect 8,6,4 3 sets of incline and flat...also dips have added mass

yes i also think u should go easy in the begining, if you have been away for 5 months cause thats a long time start easy for a couple of weeks, dont go to heavy and then after about a 3-4 weeks start hitting the pecs with both incline and flat bench flyes, I personaly love doing incline flyes get a really great feeling from it :)

I love flys, the give you a good stretch adn get the blood moving for some nice pumps. I think the pain is from the negitive movement - something you don't get on a pek deck

My suggestion would be to do Flat dumbell presses and do flyies on the incline. After you do incline pressing if you do incline pressin.

Top Bottom