Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Big, ripped abs...HOW?

wallcrawler

Ok, I'm a mesomorph. Chest/belly hair, propensity to have an poochy, undefined belly. I have flattened it doing various exercises but never had big, tight, six-pack abs. I mean abs that look tight and poke out even just standing relaxed. Ryan Reynolds said he got his doing 500-1000 situps a day. Others I have heard say if you want the real definition you have to use resistance. I know needsize says 5 sets of 5 5-second holds on an ab bench (TUT) does it for him. Once and for all, I wanna know from anyone IN the know, what is the best way to get the big, cut, defined abs I would like to produce? BTW, I already know that abs won't show unless my BF is <10% or so, but that's a seperate issue.

You could get in your way-back machine and tell your mom to stay away from your dad and hope someone with different genetics comes along. :) Playing with you. Genetics, diet, cardio. I don't think abs need targeted work as you describe - but what do I know, you described me fairly well. Just what I've learned.

Here's the thing: It's really tough to get big abs and ultra-low body fat. Since you need almost no body fat (8% or less to really even see the abs), you have to work hard to trick your body into not storing any fats. And if you go too far into watching calories, you won't be able to grow any muscle tissue either. It took me years of playing around with calorie type, and intake amount, in order to get a balance to allow my sixpack and a little bit of bulk. But I did it! So can you.

I can't advise on the eating habits, since they're radically different for every person. Once I figured out how to get that squared away, and I was maintaining 5% +/- body fat, I began to do some weighted crunches, weighted hyperextension sit-ups, and some weighted knee raises. Within a month or two, the abs started to square out and show a lot better than with my old routine (did it for 20 years) of 350 standard crunches daily. That routine gave me a washboard stomach, but small, underdefined abs. With the weight added, it's a decent sixpack. On the other hand, I'm not huge, and I don't think I ever would be, if I keep my workout/eating habits the way they are. If i wanted to get huge (and I really don't have that desire now), I would have to sacrifice the sixpack and take in a lot more protein calories.

Charles

To get sizable abs, you need to do heavy resistance. You will get big abs from heavy squats, deads, etc. Also your genetics determine the shape, etc.

why would you work them any different than your other muscles? muscles are muscles. how do you get bigger pecs? anaerobic (resistance) excercise.

Just sayin if you were a mesomorph you wouldn't even need to ask these questions. Mesomorphs naturally build muscle and stay lean easily.

I also agree with the guy that said work them like any other muscle

and Charles made a good point that developing ab bulk, by adding more muscle will be very hard if your obsessed with staying lean.

For abs I would hit them once a week, once every 5 days or maybe twice a week. 4-8 sets of a weighted exercise or exercises. My favourite are weighted decline situps, roman chair situps, hanging leg raises and weighted side bends.

You have to make sure to be hitting your spinal erectors hard too so as not to develop imbalances.

Oh and with the weighted situps, hold a plate, dumbell or medicine ball on your forehead or behing your head, not on your chest.

i think he meant endomorph

It's confusing.. In fact I couldn't remember and just went and looked it up:

Ectomorph = skinny ,hard to bulk up, easy to stay thin even on chili-cheese fries

Endomorph = tendency to be with more body fat at all times, no matter diet or muscle bulk hidden under the "insulation" layer.

Mesomorph = tendency toward bulky (muscle mass); harder to be skinny but also easier time keeping from being overweight

Charles

Top Bottom