Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench Pressing/Pec Development Question

waderironman

hello,
my name is sean and im 21 years old. i have been lifting since i was a senior in high school on and off, nothing more than 3 months at a time due to laziness, etc. over the past 4 years, my bench has been plateau'ed. i'm an all natural lifter, started off with almost nothing (started benching 90lbs.), i got up to 45 plates before i embarked off to college and thought it would only go up. well i was obviously mistaken. i was stuck at 140 - 150lbs for 3 years. i tried doing protein shakes to no avail. then this past year, i started lifting with my legs, cuz i wanted to and also cuz i heard that more muscle building protein would be released into your system and in effect bigger stronger muscles. and since then ive finally been going up in my bench (i also maxed out at 225lbs. recently). now to my question, my muscle growth in my pecs seems to only be on the outside bottom (looking down at my chest that is, bottom outside). there seems to be very little growth in the upper chest and in the middle of my chest. my question is how can i hit these areas hard. i do incline presses and flys every time i do chest (which is once a week, seems to be a good time system for me). if someone could tell me, which exercises are the best, how to actually do it well, cuz i really wanna avoid eventually getting "bitch tits" from only working one part of my pecs. on a few side notes, some more questions are about shoulders. when i do shoulders should i be having to arch my back? in other words should i not arch my back when i do shoulder presses (does that mean its too much weight?). the only reason i ask is i have somewhat vulnerable shoulders (they have dislocated during a shoulder press with painful results) so i want to get them strong. and the only times i ever seem to go up is when i push myself to get those heavy weights up (i can currently get 70lb. dumbbells up 6-8 times). thank you for your response.

-sean

I'm pretty much a beginner lifter so I can't really help you except to say that you should try posting this in the Training/Bodybuilding forum - you'll get a lot more responses :)

A few things come to mind right away. You won't get "bitch tits" from lifting weights. That happens when one uses medicines or prohormones like steroids or andro types of products. Also, a big improvement with benchpressing will come when the lifter develops tricepts, lats, and deltoids because these muscle groups are actually more important than pure pecs for lifting heavy. Good pec development is excellent of course but don't ignore those tris especially. They are the ones for locking out big numbers. Good luck man.

You can't work different parts of your chest. You can only change the size, not the shape.
The different angles of chest movements, incline, decline, will put more or less emphasis on your shoulders, tris, pecs. Not different parts of your pectoral muscle, that's not how muscle works.

Hi Sean,

I'd advise you to get the book Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert. This will probably explain why you plateau'ed for so long, and will tell you how a typical natural person should train to make maximum progress. It's an amazing book and could completely change the way you change for the better. Just my thoughts!

Top Bottom