Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone Use Chains?

Becoming said:
I know there are lots of places that sell it by the bucket/barrel on the net...
http://www.lacledechain.com/ - is an example - just call em up - tell em that you need 5/8s and the strength really doesnt matter, just the cheapest stuff they got (doesn't have to be stainless) and ask how much for a bucket of it... also ask what quantities you can order by (they have 5/8 proof coil in a half drum -75ft- that would probably work - but see what they reccommend)

if you look around see if you can find one by you... you can usually get the price down to 30-40 bucks a set if you can get some other peeps to go in with you (and most of the time you need more than one set anyways)

Also - there are places that sell used chain very cheap all over - but this takes more looking... I found one my me in Tucson on the net by accident (http://www.dolfzine.com/page447.htm) if you find a place like that - you can get single set cheap - and the chain is usually pretty clean too....

good luck bro - a little looking can save you some serious bucks on chain

thanks for all the help bro.

You must spread some Karma around before giving it to Becoming again.

Check out industrial supply stores in your area. We have one called Tom's Working Man store, everything from Dickies overalls to industrial cranes.

I called down and asked about chains - guy gave me 50% off on some old chain that was not stamped with the latest universal engineering standard for load baring (stuff was made in the 60's). They had up to 1" chains in big buckets. I bought about 100# worth for $40(US) - 1/2, 5/8, and some 1/4 (1/4 would be for connecting to the bar with the heavy stuff on the floor). They also cut the big ones (20 footers) to length right there, no charge.

Biggest problem with mail order is shipping charges.

Illuminati said:
thanks. im gonna see if maybe i can pick some chains up at home depot, or somewhere like that, and make that set up on my own. it would probably be cheaper that way. if not, guess ill shell out the $105 for them.

that's not what i was saying, YES make your own lol

mekannik said:
Check out industrial supply stores in your area. We have one called Tom's Working Man store, everything from Dickies overalls to industrial cranes.

I called down and asked about chains - guy gave me 50% off on some old chain that was not stamped with the latest universal engineering standard for load baring (stuff was made in the 60's). They had up to 1" chains in big buckets. I bought about 100# worth for $40(US) - 1/2, 5/8, and some 1/4 (1/4 would be for connecting to the bar with the heavy stuff on the floor). They also cut the big ones (20 footers) to length right there, no charge.

Biggest problem with mail order is shipping charges.

if you have any farm implement stores in your area, start there. they should have many sizes of chains including the ones you need

lots of good tips here...

stuff is easy to find real cheap with a little work...

This should be a sticky.

Becoming said:
lots of good tips here...

stuff is easy to find real cheap with a little work...

This should be a sticky.

very much agree with that. i was almost content with shelling out the $105 to elitefts.com. but thanks to you guys, i will probably only spend about half that.

Illuminati said:
very much agree with that. i was almost content with shelling out the $105 to elitefts.com. but thanks to you guys, i will probably only spend about half that.

and get twice as much chain, LOL

Tractor Supply - most likely on the pricier end, but I am pretty sure if you ask someone working there they can tell you where to pick some cheaper priced chain. But this is a place to start....

Store Locator - type in zipcode
http://www.mytscstore.com/customer_service.asp?action=editStore

Type in "chain" in product search
http://www.mytscstore.com/search.asp

CM PROOF COIL CHAIN -WELDED GR30
SIZE Load Price
3/16" 800 Lb. $0.79
1/4" 1,300 Lb. $1.59
5/16" 1,900 Lb. $1.99
3/8" 2,650 Lb. $2.49

price should be per foot

As for a rough guide to the different grades of chain and their weight per foot
http://www.feeneywire.com/chain/
(scroll down to the charts)
(note: weight given is per 100ft - so divide the weight given by 100, and you will get the weight per foot)
(note: note: this courtesy was brought to you on behalf of some of our more special board members who are not that quick on the draw)
(and if you are still reading - the above comment was for you)

I just got 2 5' lengths of each, 5/8, 3/8, and 1/4 for $45.00. Do a google for Anchor chain and your city. I googled anchor chains houston and found 4 places that carry 5/8 and 1/2. Most were about 10 bucks per foot, but the place I got it from hooked me up for $3/foot.

I know this will make me sound stupid but, how do you use chains? and what are they for? I've never even heard about them and I've took weights in high school and have been a veteren of the gym for about 8 years.

Top Bottom