Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone had bad side effects from ortho -lo Birth control?

myway said:
My doc said im just really sensitive to hormones and stuff similar.It sux.

Im using ortho tri lo right now and i have gained water weight and when it comes time for my periods i get REAL BAD cramps!!!! for the water weight i have been drinking tons of water so i pee more and that gets rid of it for the most part. Now for the cramps i just take midol often. Also i never take my pill in the morning or day always at night right before i go to bed so that i dont feel any symptoms and sleep through them if i do.

myway said:
I think i'm gonna have her put me on something new but I don't know what.
I'm having a ton of side effects and the doc even said she thinks it's from my pills.
BAD nausea, swollen ankles, I have bleeding for about 2 days every week.It sux.

Change pills - you've been on it long enough to know it just does not work for you.

Have you ever been on BC pills before?
If so - what kind and why did you switch?
Is your choice to take BC pills for protection only?

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo is a triphasic BC (25mg estradiol)
It has a tier level of progestin and a constant of estrogen throughout the entire cycle.

I'm on Mircette, it's lower in estrogen (20mg) and the estrogen is tiered throughout lowering twice the 22-28th days.

So anywho...

Interesting thing about progestin some are more androgenetic than others which just adds to all the various ways your body could react to different BC pills. The desogestrel that is in my brand happens to be rather high in its androgentic level compared to other types of progestin

So some pills are estrogen dominant and other are progestin dominant and different types of pills can be better for people with certain types of symptoms. Like breakthrough bleeding - can mean you need a higher estrogen/progestin level - lower andro but now you have other symptoms that could completely change that.

Unfortunately a lot of finding the right pill is going through a few bad ones - some people are lucky the first time - others not.

I've tried Yasmin and Alesse and reacted horribly to both but tried Demulen (when I was younger) and mircette after yas and alesse and it was a great fit. The ironic part is Demulen is much higher in estrogen than Mircette.

Confused?

It's like finding just the right bra that fits around the back and around your boobs.

And like your boobs your hormone levels change over time too.

:coffee:

velvett said:
Change pills - you've been on it long enough to know it just does not work for you.

Have you ever been on BC pills before?
If so - what kind and why did you switch?
Is your choice to take BC pills for protection only?

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo is a triphasic BC (25mg estradiol)
It has a tier level of progestin and a constant of estrogen throughout the entire cycle.

I'm on Mircette, it's lower in estrogen (20mg) and the estrogen is tiered throughout lowering twice the 22-28th days.

So anywho...

Interesting thing about progestin some are more androgenetic than others which just adds to all the various ways your body could react to different BC pills. The desogestrel that is in my brand happens to be rather high in its androgentic level compared to other types of progestin

So some pills are estrogen dominant and other are progestin dominant and different types of pills can be better for people with certain types of symptoms. Like breakthrough bleeding - can mean you need a higher estrogen/progestin level - lower andro but now you have other symptoms that could completely change that.

Unfortunately a lot of finding the right pill is going through a few bad ones - some people are lucky the first time - others not.

I've tried Yasmin and Alesse and reacted horribly to both but tried Demulen (when I was younger) and mircette after yas and alesse and it was a great fit. The ironic part is Demulen is much higher in estrogen than Mircette.

Confused?

It's like finding just the right bra that fits around the back and around your boobs.

And like your boobs your hormone levels change over time too.

:coffee:

I have been on this pill (Ortho-lo) for several months. I have been on regular Ortho with REALLY BAD effects. I was also on yasmin but changed pills because I had constant breakthrough bleeding and cramps.... BAD cramps with yasmin. I had Depo shots for several years but my doc took me off of those because my weight was going up and down by more than 1o pounds on a monthly basis. Depo was also causing me to get a strange rash on my neck. The doc said it was hormone related. So basically, birth control sux for me.

myway said:
I have been on this pill (Ortho-lo) for several months. I have been on regular Ortho with REALLY BAD effects. I was also on yasmin but changed pills because I had constant breakthrough bleeding and cramps.... BAD cramps with yasmin. I had Depo shots for several years but my doc took me off of those because my weight was going up and down by more than 1o pounds on a monthly basis. Depo was also causing me to get a strange rash on my neck. The doc said it was hormone related. So basically, birth control sux for me.

Any chance you can stay off the BC for 3 or so months?
Then have some testing done?

velvett said:
Any chance you can stay off the BC for 3 or so months?
Then have some testing done?
I get married, soon. No birth control on my wedding night would suck. I hate condoms. Don't know why, Lol. They just piss me off.
I was completely off birth control(and sex) for about 6 months after my depo shots and before I started pills. I had all of the routine exams before I started the pills. Are u talking about a more advanced test?

myway said:
I get married, soon. No birth control on my wedding night would suck. I hate condoms. Don't know why, Lol. They just piss me off.
I was completely off birth control(and sex) for about 6 months after my depo shots and before I started pills. I had all of the routine exams before I started the pills. Are u talking about a more advanced test?

There are blood/serum and saliva tests

Typical is a hormone panel - via blood work and it usually covers; lipid, pregnenolone, DHEA, testosterone, estrogen, progesterone and TSH

There are also saliva tests - I don't know a lot about these but if I recall they can cover estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and some will also cover those as well as DHEA and cortisol.

Talk to your doctor - getting your hormones start is extremely important they effect our everyday lives more than most people realize and it's so much more than just not getting pregnant and the side effects of birth control.

Good Luck.

I've had my own battles with hormone imbalance - it's no picnic.

Top Bottom