Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Am I retarded?

SquatPukeSquat

Ok, here's the deal. I'm wondering how many of you suffer from the same problem (an extremely weak lift compared to others). At a bodyweight of 190, i can full squat with a belt, and dead with a belt and straps, 405 x8-10, and 545 x3 respectively. my bench on the other hand looks like something my grandma could put up. i have no idea what it is now, 'cause i've essentially given up on the damn lift (after putting in more than a fair amount of time working on it). the best i ever put up was 280 at a bodyweight of 220 (at that time i put up 275 for 4-5 close grip). seeing i'm at 190 now, i have no idea what i could do. i do dumbbell bench after the hammer strength inc press and i can put up 120's for about 6-8. do you guys think my benching problems are form related, or just that i'm fucking weak in my chest? i have no desire to get into powerlifting, although i do lift for strength. verily, i have no problem skipping flat benching altogether; nevertheless, i am still left wondering how many others suffer from this. later.

Did you ever hear the expression "retarded strong"....it seems the mentally challenged are above average in physical strength....so I'm guessing you're a rocket scientist : )

I'm in a similar situation. My squats and deads are respectable for my size but my bench is in the shitter. I just started a 5x5 bench program 2x per week and am currently doing 175lbs. Never tried to max so I have no idea but I sure feel like a 14yo girl when I lay down on the damn bench lately.

JoBu

I was in the same boat brother. My squats and deads were very respectable but my bench press sucked eggs big time. It was not a form issue or a training issue. It is a genetic issue with me. Whether it be poor leverage, small joints/sockets or just plain weak ass pec/delt/tri tie in. No matter what I did or how hard I tried my bench poundages were very depressing yet I had/have pretty good pec, shoulder and tricep development. Go figure !!!

What did I do about it ? First off I stopped worrying about it years ago and secondly...... I change the things I can change and accept the things I cannot change..........

lol i just watched this movie about Stephen Hawking's universe. I sure as hell am no rocket scientist. lol i feel retarded after watching it though. I hear what you're saying Dave, i don't lose sleep over it though (not any more, anyways). :bawling: i think maybe it's 'cause my shoulders are one of my stronger bodyparts, so they tend to take the brunt of the work from my chest (which, in terms of development, resembles the 14 year old girl previously mentioned). i can honestly say though that i do enjoy the challenge of trying to get my chest to grow; it forces me to figure out new ways of hitting it, which is one of the fun parts of working out. i am interested to hear what (if any) bodyparts are unproportionally weaker than others on you dudes. lol maybe it's an ego thing, just trying to make mine feel better. :p later.

Strange you could close grip 4-5 reps with 275 though. Maybe you should try a closer grip on bench. Must have strong triceps.

I've always been like that too, my bench has always been way behind. Its only been recently, after over 10 years in the gym, that its not an embarrassment. On the bright side, even when it did really suck, my chest still destroyed most of the people in my gym that could outbench me, so it boils down to whats more important, size or strength

What kind of bench style do you do? Pl style? BB style?
Where do you fail in the bench press?
What have you done to increase your bench?

My bench lags behind my squat and deadlift because I don't really like the lift and it frustrated me, so I stopped training it. It also bothered my shoulders.

Since I have changed my form and been very patient and it is making nice gains.

You may need to make some form changes, hit your weak spots, and mentally relax a bit.

Top Bottom