Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Advice/opinions on my 5x5 program??

mgrach2727

After I did some reading about different 5x5 programs I decided Im gonna give SL's 5x5 program a try for 12 weeks but I wanted to tweak it a little bit. What do you guys think?
My goals: Build muscle mass and put on weight

Week 1-6:

Workout A:
Power Clean 5x5
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B:
Squats 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 5x5

Week 7-12

Same as above, just going from 5x5 to 3x5 with heavier weight

The true SL 5x5 program has you start really low on weight for the early weeks and increase 5lbs every workout but I was gonna try starting heavier and increasing weight every couple workouts. What do you guys think?

it would depend on where you are in your current training... if youve been tired and missing a lot of lifts, you would want to start lighter... if youve just been cruising and not pushing yourself hard, you could probably get away starting a little on the heavier side...

I would recommend that you just do the SL 5x5 as it is written out particurlary if this is your first time doing it. The reason is that you most likely will find that the extras that you have added will be fine in the beginning but waytoo much by mid program.
Actually the Power Clean is redundant anyway. The musclse that you use for it are already being worked in the program bro.
So I strongly urge you to do it the way it is written out and get the full expereince from that. Then come right back and do it again and then add if you still think you wanna.
Also remember the you need to EAT during this program to get the full benefit out of it.
Good luck and would be gr8 if you kept a log bro!

Okay I will do it as written....I was just skeptical because it has me starting so light. For example, my 1 rep max for squat is 345 and it has me starting down at around 145. But okay ill give it a shot as written and try to keep a log. Thanks

Let us know how it works out for you bro.
On those squats you gotta remember you gonna be doing them 3x/week bro. It does take its toll on you when you get up into the bigger weights.
Enjoy!

where do i get the SL 5x5 starter program...?

i don't think i have that, and want to get back into a 5x5 but want to start out very simply... from past experience after about week 5 shit starts to get real, and you'll be glad you started with what seems like it was "too easy"... ;)

Okay I will do it as written....I was just skeptical because it has me starting so light. For example, my 1 rep max for squat is 345 and it has me starting down at around 145. But okay ill give it a shot as written and try to keep a log. Thanks

That's the spirit! :biggrin: I'm doing the same in january.
Zed's right, it'd be great if you kept a log. Could compare notes. :idea:

Top Bottom