Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

About Benching

TxLonghorn said:
I hope y'all noticed the smiley indicating sarcasm.
I know the feeling bro...Anyways I like to bring the weight down about 1 quarter to half way down so it looks like I'm stronger than I really am. ;)

LewdTenant said:

Westside style is keeping your back flat on the bench,which is what I do. I keep both feet on the floor and have no problem keeping my back flat. after doing it this way for a few weeks, it seems more natural and powerful.

I hear ya! personally i like the back flat and sometimes bring my legs up on the bench. Cause i don't want any hernia coming back. I heard legs at 90deg. help this.

but when i'm feel n real strong, i put a bunch of weight on, look around(make sure all the chicks see) and then slip out the back door "like batman". ...hehelike pimp said.

In my opinion barely touching the chest is ur best bet... you build different muscles when you control the weight that way and also gives you a better workout in my opinion..but now if ur showing off in front of some punks in the gym go ahead bounce it...

Slowish negative, touch chest but don't rest weight, pause for a sec and drive back up. Don't fully lock elbows, go to just before locked to prevent elbow injury and keep constant tension on the pecs, without resting at the top.

here's the deal, different people have different thickness chests and different lenth arms. A skinny guy touching his chest is different from a fat ass touching his chest.

How far you lower the bar depends on your body type. For skinny people (I'm one of them) lowering hte bar all the way to your chest loads the anterior deltoids too much. THis is dangerous because the anterior deltoids were not designed to support this much weight at that angle. You are also not benefiting your chest by lowering it that far. I agree with lowering the bar slowly and in a controlled manner with a very slight pause at the bottom but the distance needs to be judged by the lifter. You need to be intune with your body and feel at what point the load is being taken off you're pecs and being placed on your delts, at that point, stop and begin the concentric portion of the rep.

All you guys that feel like you've ripped your armpits the day after you bench are going to far down and hurting your delts. The only reason for not going that low is there is no additional benefit to it and it MAY cause injury.

Powerlifting contests require touching of the chest because it's a standart by which all contestants can be measured equally, or so they think. A thick chested guy with short arms has a hell of a lot easier time touching his chest than a skinny guy with long arms. Doesn't seem like a fair method to me.

I come down touch the chest, slight pause and explode back up. I keep my back flat and feet on the floor no dancing around n shit.

"How far you lower the bar depends on your body type. For skinny people (I'm one of them) lowering hte bar all the way to your chest loads the anterior deltoids too much. THis is dangerous because the anterior deltoids were not designed to support this much weight at that angle. You are also not benefiting your chest by lowering it that far. I agree with lowering the bar slowly and in a controlled manner with a very slight pause at the bottom but the distance needs to be judged by the lifter. You need to be intune with your body and feel at what point the load is being taken off you're pecs and being placed on your delts, at that point, stop and begin the concentric portion of the rep. "

I agree with this. I go to about 2 inches from my chest (slow and controlled). Any lower and my shoulders are really in for it. I get plenty of chest developement with this range.

Absolutely agree.........I stop about two inches from my chest for a one second pause.....then explode back up. I have long arms, and if I go all the way down, it does more harm than good to my shoulders. As long as your upper arms are slightly below parallel, your good.

This thread belongs on the training board.

The farther down the better the stretch and muscle recruitment, however by going to far down you may limit the amount of weight that you can use as the movement at the bottom is limited by the amount of strength other supporting muscles have, its 6 of one half a dozen of the other. In general id say at the bottom of the movement, there should be a straight line from elbow to elbow with forearms pointing directly upwards.

Top Bottom