Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

About Benching

Spunky said:
come down, touch chest, pause, then explode up.

This is the correct form - not only does one touch the chest but there is a pause at the bottom. Momentum is ceased.

I can't stand bad technique so here's my rant:

-If you saw someone doing it differently then they don't know what they are doing.

-If you do it differently but you think you have a good reason then you aren't bench pressing. You have created your own exercise. Hopefully it works for you but that doesn't make it a bench press.

-Think of it this way - if your technique will get you laughed out of a powerlifting meet (and the quoted technique will not) then you are executing the movement incorrectly.

The nice thing about America is that everyone is free to lift as poorly as they please. Unless of course I'm waiting for your bench. In which case I'd rather see you do 135 correctly than a chest caving, dick thrusting, butt pushing 350 with some dude getting a trap workout helping you.

there are many forms of cheating. I bench Westside style,but if someone want to arch their back when lifting, I don't really care. Just don't do 30 reps or use the bench to do seated barbell curls.

DO NOT BOUNCE THE WEIGHT OFF YOUR CHEST....I did that a couple of years ago and cracked my sternum....it hurt like a muther fucker....as far as not coming down all the way....they're cheating themselves out of a pec workout, that would make most of the work be done by the tri's and you defeat the hole purpose of even doing bench. You should use slow contolled movements making every muscle fiber in your pec contract

Anyone that using momentum in their routines cheat. Yes, some cheating is acceptable, but not for something like your chest. You're already using two secondary muscle groups: tri's and shoulders. Back to the matter at hand, come down about an inch from your chest. Never during an exercise should you take a rest. Another thing, don't extend all the way up when you bench, keep your muscles at a constant contraction. What I do aswell, I bring my knees up, kinda like when you're doing crunches and rest them at the end of the bench, this keeps your back straight and prevents you from arching your back. It makes it a little more difficult, but better for you in the long run. Anyone else agree with me?

Last edited:
spunky and madcow1 said it. I like semi-wide hand grips because if I go to wide it hurts my shoulders. Think powerlifters can arch the back as long as the hips stay on the bench and feet don't come off the floor.

That was me in Pinon Canyon about a 1 1/2 yrs ago while I was still in the Army. It's mostly desert type areas around there. The Apache helicopters landed after we were done with the training exercise for the day, so he let me and my driver come up and take a look. It's a kick ass feeling to be in one of those.

bissenmir said:
spunky and madcow1 said it. I like semi-wide hand grips because if I go to wide it hurts my shoulders. Think powerlifters can arch the back as long as the hips stay on the bench and feet don't come off the floor.

Westside style is keeping your back flat on the bench,which is what I do. I keep both feet on the floor and have no problem keeping my back flat. after doing it this way for a few weeks, it seems more natural and powerful.

Top Bottom