Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5 or 10x3

wootoom

Elite Moderator
Chairman Member
i was thinkin i have been lifting heavy for 3 years now and i have been always doing 10x3 should i be doing 5x5 for gaining mass?

10x3...hmm.

Im not sure if ive ever seen this before. I have always done 3 sets of 10 with the same weight for my mass gains, but am trying a little 5x5 now.

I have found the higher reps(8-15) with slower negatives(2-3 seconds) to be best for mass gains...I did the 5x5 program for awhile and switched to this method a few months ago and I'm making really good size gains...

Of course occasionally I will lift with lower reps(around 5-6) just to maintain or try and increase strength in those rep ranges

i would be upping my weight if i went 5x5. would that be better for gaining mass? better than 3x10 with lower weight?

I started the 3 sets of 10 reps with the same weight about 2 years ago and havent looked back since. I met a huge guy (6'2.5" @ 280lbs) in the gym and that is what he preached. I actually spotted him one day, the first i had ever seen him. I touched the bar on his 17th rep of 315. Needless to say we trained together for the next 6-8 months. At the time, i could get 315 for a single set of 10. So, whatever you can handle for 10 is where i would start. Our goal was to get 50 reps with 315 in 5 sets. I never got it while we trained together, but now i can get it in fewer sets. However, at the start i was getting like a set of 10, 8, 6. To say the least i learned a lot from him.

What's wrong with 10x3. My deadlift routine is 8x2 and 8x3. I've seen great results.

Last edited:
so is my deadlift and squat. there is nothing wrong with that at all. chill out. LOL. j/k

hit 5x5 if you've been doing 3x10 for a long time. i think you'll be surprised at the gains a change like that could make. go for it. follow it up with some higher rep stuff if you want.

Top Bottom