Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5 X 5 Training Method

GhettoStudMuffin said:
So for a guy like me who's primarily interested in strength and size (maybe compete in powerlifting in future) with no weight limits, then the modified 5x5 with the 3 day split and volume and intensity phases is the one I want to use then right?

Which one was the bodbybuilding one?

Thanks for answering my questions. I plotted out 3 cycles and now I get how it works after seeing it written down with the weights used from cycle to cycle.

For growth, strength and long-term use, do you think that your hybrid of Bill Starr's original 5x5 is better? I keep hearing how his original is great, but it sounds like your version implementing some of the things Johnsmith said is somewhat superior.

Thanks again man, you're an asset to this board.

in my version of the 5x5, you do gain a lot of size and strenth, but its more focused on size, so if strength is your primary goal, then I would think that the original might be your best bet

GhettoStudMuffin said:
So for a guy like me who's primarily interested in strength and size (maybe compete in powerlifting in future) with no weight limits, then the modified 5x5 with the 3 day split and volume and intensity phases is the one I want to use then right?

Which one was the bodbybuilding one?

Thanks for answering my questions. I plotted out 3 cycles and now I get how it works after seeing it written down with the weights used from cycle to cycle.

For growth, strength and long-term use, do you think that your hybrid of Bill Starr's original 5x5 is better? I keep hearing how his original is great, but it sounds like your version implementing some of the things Johnsmith said is somewhat superior.

Thanks again man, you're an asset to this board.
This is kind of a dedicated thread to a different workout and I'd prefer not to create any more confusion cause it's bad enough that the names are the same and somebody is going to come looking for info and it's going to take many posts to deconfuse them. If you can PM me, make a new thread, or even better append any questions to this one which already has a fair amount of info on the Starr program and the application of dual factor theory it we would probably save a lot of people who are going to come and read this thread a fair amount of confusion: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372686

Day 1 - Chest / Biceps

Wide Grip Incline Bench (index fingers past lines) 5x5
Machine Flies 1x10, 1x8
Dips 2x10(forward lean)
--
Cable Preacher Curls 5x5
Dumbell Hammer Curls 1x10,1x8
One Arm Cable Curl 2x10

Day 2 Shoulders / ABs

Seated Barbell Military Press 5x5
Side Lateral Raises 1x10,1x8
Front Plate Raises 2x10
--
Weighted Decline 5 Second hold situp 5x5

Day 3 Legs

Squat 5x5
Leg Press 1x10,1x8
Leg Extensions 1x10
Leg Curls 1x 10
--
Standing Calf Raise 3x10

Day 4 - Back / Triceps

Deadlifts 5x5
Bent Rows 1x10,1x8
Pullups 2x10
--
Close Grip Bench Press 5x5
Standing Tricep Extension 1x10,1x8
Dips(Upright-NO Lean) 2x10

hows this look for a 5x5 routine? and by volume phase u mean the x5 and the deloading is the x3?

+karma for you... the 5x5 and 8-10 makes perfect sense and will help get a more balance body not just all bulk from the 5x5!

but i dont agree on the creatine... although most ppl here use it i feel it doesnt help that much... you better off starting light and building raw strengtha nd slowly moving the weight up rather than using supps. to hit the next weight

spatts said:
Originally posted by Needsize:

I'll do my best to try and remember all the elements that make the program work.

The premise of the routine is progressive overload, meaning that every week you are putting increasing amounts of stress on the muscles, generally through small increases in the amount of weight used. The progressive overload forces the body to grow to adapt to the increasing amounts of stress, even though the body really isnt training to failure.

The routine consists of choosing a heavy compound exercise to use for each bodypart, these can include, squat, deadlifts, bench press, close grip bench, standing barbell curls, military press, etc. On top of the initial 5x5, you also choose 2 other exercises, and aim to do 2 sets on each, of 8-10 reps per set.
Here's a sample routine
Chest
Flat bench 5x5
incline dumbell press 2x8-10
incline flyes 2x8-10

The key for me when using this routine is to start light, at weights that you can easily nail your reps and concentrate on form. For example, say you can bench 225lbs for 8 reps, start with 195lbs on the bar. This should be easy, but if you keep your reps slow and in control, you will still get a good pump and have a good workout. Next week, bump up the weight by a SMALL increment, remember the key is to be able to keep adding weight, it's not a race to get to the massive poundages. If you add too quickly you will plateau in a hurry and the routine wont do jack for you. So you hit 5x5 on 195, next week its 200, the week after 205, etc. When you get to a point where you're starting to have trouble hitting your reps, add something extra to help, if you're natural, thats when I would throw in creatine and whatever else as this will help you keep adding weight. If you dont get all 5x5, then do not add more weight next week, stick with the same and the odds are you'll hit it next time you try.

This routine is very effective as it targets fast twitch muscle fibres(5x5) as well as slower twitch(8-10reps) all in the same workout. Generally when done correctly you can gain lots of size as well as some pretty incredible strength all at the same time. I'm only a bodybuilder and dont give a rat's ass about strength, but have hit lifts (ie, deadlift 550lbs for 5 reps) that would allow me to compete as a powerlifter.

To view archived questions and answers for this thread, click here.
Someone got the asylumstrength content?

mayhems said:
+karma for you... the 5x5 and 8-10 makes perfect sense and will help get a more balance body not just all bulk from the 5x5!

Boy that was a gem. I imagine at the time he believed that the 8-10 reps would spot reduce fat around the muscle, change the shape of the muscle to make it look more pleasing, "tone" it properly, and "balance" the body because everybody knows that compound lifts develop odd looking physiques very quickly with all kinds of weird disproportionate growth. :)

Not that 8-10 reps is a bad thing but this certainly isn't why one might use that range.

Madcow2 said:
Boy that was a gem. I imagine at the time he believed that the 8-10 reps would spot reduce fat around the muscle, change the shape of the muscle to make it look more pleasing, "tone" it properly, and "balance" the body because everybody knows that compound lifts develop odd looking physiques very quickly with all kinds of weird disproportionate growth. :)

Not that 8-10 reps is a bad thing but this certainly isn't why one might use that range.
That post made me cringe :insane:

Quick question. Next week I'm only going to be able to go to the gym 2x and I'm 3 weeks in and making great gains in strength. But for that week should I just do a deload then go back to the regular routine or just stick with it and skip a day?

ErnieScar said:
Quick question. Next week I'm only going to be able to go to the gym 2x and I'm 3 weeks in and making great gains in strength. But for that week should I just do a deload then go back to the regular routine or just stick with it and skip a day?
We should really let this thread die. This is not the bill starr 5x5 thread. Try the one that bionicbc started.

Top Bottom