Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5/3/1 faq

future

Freelance Writer
Platinum
5/3/1 FAQ

Question: Can I use chains or bands while using this program?

Answer: I don’t recommend this, but here’s the easiest way to figure out how to work chains and bands into the program. First, pick the exercise. This could be benching with bands, squatting with chains, or whatever – there are many different options. Second, estimate what 80-85% of your max would be with that exercise (with the added resistance). Third, warm up to that weight and perform an all-out rep max. Finally, take this weight and these reps and plug
them into the rep max formula to find you estimated one rep max:
Weight x Reps x .0333 + Weight = Estimated 1RM

After you get the estimated 1RM, take 90% of that number (1RM * .9) and use this as your new training max.

Question: Why don’t you recommend the use of chains and/or bands?

Answer: Accommodating resistances are a good idea on paper, but the practice has been popularized by strong individuals who all use equipment. The popularity of chains and bands has spread throughout the powerlifting world, and lifters have had great success with them. I’ve seen LOTS of athletes and regular lifters shit the bed with them, though, and this is for one main reason:

The strength curve for athletes/regular guys is heavy at the bottom and light at the top, so they need more low end work. The strength curve for geared lifters is light at the bottom and heavy at the top, so more high end work is needed.
Using chains/bands on a raw lifter will lower the use of bar weight and THUS lower the amount of weight that’s used at the bottom of a lift. Hence, the strength curve is all screwed up and not always suited for a raw lifter.​

Question: Do I need to deload if I’m a beginner?

Answer: You don’t need to deload no matter who you are, but I highly recommend using a deload every fourth week, because it allows your body and mind to rest. You’re not going to get weaker. If you do, it’s all in your mind.

Question: Can I perform the bench and military press in the same day?

Answer: You could do this, but I would highly recommend basing your military max on what you can do AFTER you bench, and not when you’re fresh.

Question: Can I squat and deadlift on the same day?

Answer: Yes. Again, pick which lift you’d like to do first, and make sure you base your second exercise on what you can do AFTER you perform the first. If you don’t know which one to perform, simply ask yourself which lift you want to improve the most. If you have an equal desire for improvement in both lifts, then find the time to give it an extra day.

Question: If I max out on one lift, but the other three lifts are still improving, do I cut back all lifts 10% and start over? Or do I just cut back one?

Answer: Just cut back one and keep the others moving forward.

Question: Do I go for max reps on each set or just the last set?

Answer: Just the last set of the day for the big exercise.

Question: Do I go for max reps during my deload week?

Answer: No. Limit these reps to 5, and deload!

Question: How much time do you rest between sets?

Answer: You should rest for as long as it takes to perform the set with good form, but not enough to get cold. For most lifters, this is about 3-5 minutes.

Question: Do you ever take your assistance work to failure?

Answer: Very rarely. The key to assistance work is doing enough to stimulate the muscle. Your assistance work should not affect your recovery and overall performance.

Question: How long should you stick with assistance exercises?

Answer: You can switch ever week if you’d like but I would recommend using the same assistance work for at least 4 weeks before switching.

Question: Do you always stick with an assistance template or do you vary it?

Answer: I vary it all the time. The most important thing is to get the work of the main lifts in.

Question: How much time do you take between sets of assistance work?

Answer: Anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. If a set is worth doing, it’s worth doing correctly. I’d rather do one good set than five bad ones with terrible form.

Question: Do you always take the last set to absolute failure?

Answer: No. Sometimes it’s best to do the required reps and move on, but rarely is a set done to absolute failure. In most cases, the set should be done close to failure, but with perhaps a rep or half of a rep left before failing. This is something you’ll have to learn for yourself.

Question: Do you ever take a true one rep max?

Answer: You can do it whenever you want, but I’d recommend waiting at least 3 or 4 cycles to test it again. Never give up a training day to take a 1RM. Simply do the workout first, but don’t go for max reps on the last set. From there, try for a new max. While this program will improve your one rep max, the program’s success is not geared just toward one rep maxes. Structuring your training like this would be setting you up for failure. A one rep max is no better or worse than a five rep max.

Question: I want to do curls. What day can I use for this?

Answer: Whichever day you want. It doesn’t matter.

Question: Can I use front squats instead of back squats for my big exercise?

Answer: Yes.

Question: Do you recommend decline presses as a main or assistance movement?

Answer: No.

Question: Can I use power cleans (or something similar) in this program? If so, where would you put them?

Answer: Yes, this is a great idea. I’d recommend doing power cleans, hang cleans, power snatches or hang snatches if want to choose an Olympic movement. If you want to do these along with the regular training, I’d recommend doing them before you perform your squat or deadlift workout.

Question: Can I use the trap bar instead of the barbell for deadlifting?

Answer: Yes, this is the only acceptable deadlift option.

Question: Can I use the push press or jerk in place of the military press?

Answer: Yes.

Question: If I switch from deadlifts to trap bar deadlifts, how long should I stick with the trap bar?

Answer: You should stick with the new exercise until you reach your goal or until you stall. You must stay with the new exercise for more than just 4-8 weeks.

Question: Can I switch movements every other cycle? For example, do a trap bar deadlift for a cycle and then switch to a deadlift and then back to the trap bar.

Answer: No. Stick with one exercise and keep pushing this exercise until you stall out or reach your personal goals.

Question: I recently hit a max deadlift of 500 pounds. Do I base my training weights around this number (500)?

Answer: No. I recommend starting with10% less (90% of your actual max) than your actual max and working up slowly.

Question: Do you think it's better to be consistent and incremental with 5 pound advancements for all four lifts? Or do you think the 10 pound advancements on the squat and pull are better than 5 pounds for most lifters?

Answer: The smaller the jumps you can make, the better you’ll be in the long run. Unfortunately, this requires an ego check, which isn’t easy. Trust in the "small jump" system and reap the benefits long term. You can even make 2.5 pound jumps if you’d like. Remember to always think long term.

Question: Do you wear any equipment for your training?

Answer: I always wear a belt. For squats, I wear knee sleeves that help keep my knees warm. They don’t add much (if anything) to the lift, but they do a great job of keeping my IT bands and knees warm. For bench press and military press, I wear wrist wraps (and a belt).

Question: Can I use straps for deadlifting?

Answer: While I understand the use of straps – and used them often when I was younger – I’ve come to the conclusion that, barring some sort of injury, you shouldn’t use them. I say this because:
1. Your grip will quickly catch up to your hip/leg/back strength.
2. Grip strength is essential in all sports, and in life.
3. For overall muscle growth, it’s best to train without the aid/support of equipment.
4. It’s also best to use as few "crutches" as possible when you train.

Take it from someone who’s learned the hard way: ditch the straps as soon as you can and train minimally for maximum results. Get stronger all over. You’ll thank me.

Question: What kind of diet should I follow during training?

Answer: I’m probably the last guy you should ask about dieting, but since I’ve been asked this a million times, here are my general recommendations:
1. Eat all whole foods. Try to avoid protein powders unless absolutely necessary.
2. Eat 4-6 meals per day. Each meal should have some kind of protein source, some kind of fruit or vegetable, and some kind of carbohydrate.
3. Try to get 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day through whole foods. If you’re over 15% body fat, use your lean body mass instead of your bodyweight.
4. Don’t go crazy counting calories, grams of protein, etc. Just eat and learn how to approximate your portions.
5. If you want to gain weight, the simplest way is to drink a gallon of milk a day. Simple and effective.

Question: Do you think the 5/3/1 method can be done instead of dynamic days – in harmony with max effort training – without my CNS going down the toilet?

Answer: I think this would burn you out, and I wouldn’t recommend it.

Question: During the deload week, do I deload the assistance work too?

Answer: If you’re deloading, DELOAD! Cut back on everything and let your body rest and recover.

Question: Can you use this program while using powerlifting gear?

Answer: I’ve been asked many times how I’d modify this program for training with powerlifting gear. I’m sure there’s a way to do this, but I no longer have the patience or the desire to try to figure this out. I don’t train in gear, and I don’t really work with anyone who does, so it’s best to leave this to someone who actually trains with gear. I’m not interested in using bench shirts or squat suits when I train. There are too many variables and inconsistencies when training with gear to put them into a simple training program.

My best advice to you would be this: if you want to bench press 600 pounds with a shirt, train for a 590 pound raw bench. I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to get 10 pounds out of your shirt.:001_rolleyes:

Question: When I begin the program, do I start with my true max on each lift?

Answer: No. You begin with 90% of your actual max. If you have a 300 pound bench press, you begin the first 4-week training cycle with a 270lb “max”. All your percentages for your first four weeks are based on 270 pounds.

Question: How do I know how to increase the weight after each 4-week training cycle?

Answer: After each training cycle, increase your bench press and military press NO MORE than 5 pounds. You should increase your squat and deadlift NO MORE than 10 pounds. In the above example of the 300 pound bench presser, his “max” would start at 270 and increase to 275 for the second 4-week phase. Every four weeks he would move up 5 pounds.

Question: Is this program for advanced or beginner lifters?

Answer: I’ve used this program with both beginning and advanced lifters. Steady, slow progression will never go out of fashion, and neither will the big exercises. The trick is to teach beginners correct form at the start. For advanced lifters, the most important thing is to remember long term goals, and not basing unrealistic maxes on what you did four years ago.

Question: If a person wanted to get big and strong, what would you recommend?

Answer: I would recommend the 5/3/1 program, with the Boring But Big assistance work. Then have that person drink a gallon of milk a day. Three things that are very easy and simple to do.

Question: What if that person is lactose intolerant?

Answer: Buy baby wipes. It’s gonna get dirty.

Question: Why do you do so many chins and dips? Is this part of the program?

Answer: No it’s not part of the program. I do chins and dips because they are the most efficient upper body assistance exercises.

Question: Can I use kettlebells as part of my assistance work?

Answer: Yes. This is a great idea.

Question: I don’t know how many sets and reps to do on my assistance work.

Answer: When in doubt, do 5 sets of 10 reps.

Question: Can you do board presses with this program?

Answer: Yes, it would work. I would not recommend them if you are a raw lifter.

Question: What are the five best exercises to increase my deadlift?

Answer: Squats, deadlifts for reps, some kind of abdominal training (sit ups or leg raises), good mornings and Kroc rows (high rep dumbbell rows).

Question: What are the five best exercises to increase my squat?

Answer: Squats, good mornings, some kind of ab work (see above), lunges and leg presses.

Question: What are the five best exercises to increase my bench press?

Answer: Bench press, military press, dips, chins and dumbbell rows.

Question: What are the six best exercises to increase my military press?

Answer: Military press, bench press, dips, chins, hanging leg raises and back raises.

Question: What is more important for getting stronger; assistance work or the four big lifts?

Answer: The four big lifts. Done with correct form and a well thought out plan, this will trump ANY weak point exercise or assistance work.

I have been using the 531 as the program for the high school powerlifting team I coach. So far, so good. It makes it easier on me because every athlete's workout is on a sheet I do for them in excel so all they have to do is grab their sheet and go. It also motivates the hell out of them because it lets them PR all the time on the last set. Kids always want to slap another plate on, and once I got it through their heads that if you did exercise "X" for "Y" reps last week, and now you did it for "Y+2" you are stronger the really began to get charged up about that last set.

I do make 3 modifications to the program.

1) I have them doing the big lifts on M,T,Th with assistance work on those days.

2) Much of the assistance work I have them doing is strongman based. For example, today is MP day. When they are done with their MP work I intend to have them do a pressing medley of a 70# sandbag, 120# axle, and 140# log. All C&P from the floor.

3) Wednesdays are reserved for additional assistance work, and conditioning. We might work on indian runs with the prowler, push or pull my truck, bleachers; basically anything that gets them close to puking. Then we get into the weights to work on individual weak spots.

Fri-Sun they have off unless they have a meet.

To the best of Jim's knowledge, his program has not been used in a high school setting training powerlifters. To further split that hair, not by many teens in general, especially girls (our team is co-ed). I have spent a lot of time with him working out small details here and there, and I am compiling a lot of data on the results. I intend to formally break that data down by age, gender and sedentary (half the team has never been athletic in any way) vs athletic. The season started the second week of Nov and will continue until the first week of April, so I should get some good data. The real good stuff should come if/when I get the opportunity to compare this year vs next on athletes who come out again.

B-

I have been using the 531 as the program for the high school powerlifting team I coach. So far, so good. It makes it easier on me because every athlete's workout is on a sheet I do for them in excel so all they have to do is grab their sheet and go. It also motivates the hell out of them because it lets them PR all the time on the last set. Kids always want to slap another plate on, and once I got it through their heads that if you did exercise "X" for "Y" reps last week, and now you did it for "Y+2" you are stronger the really began to get charged up about that last set.

I do make 3 modifications to the program.

1) I have them doing the big lifts on M,T,Th with assistance work on those days.

2) Much of the assistance work I have them doing is strongman based. For example, today is MP day. When they are done with their MP work I intend to have them do a pressing medley of a 70# sandbag, 120# axle, and 140# log. All C&P from the floor.

3) Wednesdays are reserved for additional assistance work, and conditioning. We might work on indian runs with the prowler, push or pull my truck, bleachers; basically anything that gets them close to puking. Then we get into the weights to work on individual weak spots.

Fri-Sun they have off unless they have a meet.

To the best of Jim's knowledge, his program has not been used in a high school setting training powerlifters. To further split that hair, not by many teens in general, especially girls (our team is co-ed). I have spent a lot of time with him working out small details here and there, and I am compiling a lot of data on the results. I intend to formally break that data down by age, gender and sedentary (half the team has never been athletic in any way) vs athletic. The season started the second week of Nov and will continue until the first week of April, so I should get some good data. The real good stuff should come if/when I get the opportunity to compare this year vs next on athletes who come out again.

B-

YOU ARE SMART SIR! At least kids have you teaching them the right way.

I wish you were my highschool powerlifting coach B

The 5/3/1 is probably my all time favorite program. I ran it for most of this year and I've made some killer strength gains. I've killed rep PRs and weight PRs. I like the fact that I can train the big lifts for max strength and get my bodybuilder on with high volume accessory lifts.

I wish you were my highschool powerlifting coach B

The 5/3/1 is probably my all time favorite program. I ran it for most of this year and I've made some killer strength gains. I've killed rep PRs and weight PRs. I like the fact that I can train the big lifts for max strength and get my bodybuilder on with high volume accessory lifts.

Thank you.

I think the 531 is a fantastic program. I wish it had more traction in the strength community. I think it is just because it is newer than 5x5 and Starting Strength.

One of its best assets is that is forces a lifter to check the ego at the door by reducing the 1RM to 90%. This takes into account the n00b who is most concerned with how many wheels are on the bar, and those with form problems and shouldn't be doing as high of weights as they somehow manage to pull out of their asses.

B-

Top Bottom