Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

225 bench need 30 reps question

CoolColJ said:
Well you would probbaly need to get the bench 1RM up. The stronger you are the easier it is to do more reps with 225lbs.

Put 50lbs on your bench and you'd hit it no problems :)
I know somehow who can bench about 365 and has done 225 for about 26 reps

Gotta disagree on that one. Muscular endurance and ORM are different things (red vs white muscel fibers).

If you want to increase the number of times you can bench 225 I woudl do the following things:

1) Practice benching 225 as many times as you can.

2) Find the weight you can bench 30 times. Add 5-10lbs to the bar each week. If you fail, keep going with that weight (in susequent workouts) until you get 30, then go up again. Either that or just use the same weight and continue to add reps. It may help psychologically to be doing heavy weight for mroe than 30 reps so that when it comes time to do 225 for 30 it that's not the most reps you ever do on bench press. On the other hand if you are used to doing 30 reps every time, when you are at 28 with 225 you may have the psychological advantage of being used to doing 2 more reps every bench workout.

I would also eat and sleep my ass off.

My first instinct would be to say to do both 1) and 2) once a week (say on Mondays and Thursdays) but how your body and CNS react will have to guide you.

As far as supplements, definitley creatine and on the day of the test soem kind of CNS stimulant. But beware caffeine and creatine work against each other so up the creatine dosage and take it immediately before the workout.

I agree with a lot of what Lumberg is saying...also don't forget to strengthen your delts and triceps in the area of 20-30 reps as I said in a previous post because they will probably fail before your chest...

A lot of guys are pretty strong in the 1-5RM range but give them a muscular endurance test of say 15-20 reps and their weights go much farther down than they "should" when comparing their 1-5RM...

This is why there is a lobby for the NFL combine to change the 225 bench test...because it is labeled as a "strength test" when indeed it is a test of muscular endurance...most want it to be switched to 315 for reps...

Joe Defranco put out an excellent tape called "Beating the NFL combine tests" or something close to that name that goes into the 225 Bench Test in detail and he reveals some tricks and tips that might get you a few more reps....

I would recommend picking it up and seeing what his recommendations are as you are basically trying to double your reps(not an easy task in itself) but you do have time on your side..

225 for 30 would be quite impressive...I think Adam Archuleta did 225 for 31 at a BW of 210 a few years ago at the combine..

OK RANT OVER!!Sorry for long post :)

I have a NFL combine prep article but it is being shipped to me (I recently moved). I can get it to you by the first week of September though.

B True

Welcome to the boards brother!! Lots of good suggestions here. I agree with Lumberg and CCJ. A stronger one rep max should add up to the ability to rep a lighter weight many times. But this isnt always the case for everyone. The routine Lumberg laid out looks like a good plan to up the reps with 225. Ive never trained specifically for this, but Ive always incorporated many rep ranges in my routine and would often hit 24 reps with 225 at the 11th set of my chest routine. 8 or more of these sets were to failure, sometimes on the 14th set. Ive since Increased my bench strength by 5 reps, so I may be good for 29-30 reps now. Not sure if I could get more fresh, without all the other sets. This just came from increasing my strength dramatically over the years and always repping to failure on many of my sets, at many different rep ranges. Keep KILLING that shit!!

Well a person who can bench 500lbs is gonna do more reps with 225lbs than a 300lb bencher anyday :)

Strength endurance requires a base of strength - the less force output a weight takes to move, the more reps you can do with it

Lumberg said:
Gotta disagree on that one. Muscular endurance and ORM are different things (red vs white muscel fibers).

If you want to increase the number of times you can bench 225 I woudl do the following things:

1) Practice benching 225 as many times as you can.

2) Find the weight you can bench 30 times. Add 5-10lbs to the bar each week. If you fail, keep going with that weight (in susequent workouts) until you get 30, then go up again. Either that or just use the same weight and continue to add reps. It may help psychologically to be doing heavy weight for mroe than 30 reps so that when it comes time to do 225 for 30 it that's not the most reps you ever do on bench press. On the other hand if you are used to doing 30 reps every time, when you are at 28 with 225 you may have the psychological advantage of being used to doing 2 more reps every bench workout.

I would also eat and sleep my ass off.

My first instinct would be to say to do both 1) and 2) once a week (say on Mondays and Thursdays) but how your body and CNS react will have to guide you.

As far as supplements, definitley creatine and on the day of the test soem kind of CNS stimulant. But beware caffeine and creatine work against each other so up the creatine dosage and take it immediately before the workout.

This is on point......you got to practice and practice and practice benching 225........nothing else, cause its not your objective......Bench twice a week. Each time in there try and do one more. So if you start by doing 225 for 15 for 4-5 sets, next time try 16, and so on. I might toss on my max for the last set each time for a rep and a "hold" in the lockout to keep my CNS up to par. Then the next time, 225 should feel lighter.......also, benching off the floor REALLY helped my max, so it might help in the case too......don't neglect the tris, delts, and back on the other days, as they will all help you get there, but def. be sure not to overtrain!!! SLEEP, EAT, TRAIN, REPEAT!

Top Bottom