Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

18 tips for bulletproof knees

Heh, I just got around to reading that article earlier today. Good stuff.

I was thinking about starting a new thread with this question, but I'll ask it here instead: what's the verdict on knee sleeves, which are recommended in the Meso Oly Squatting sticky in addition to this article?

I bought some early this year (winter months) when I was getting some pain in my right knee. But after reading a bunch of squatting articles and tweaking my form a bit (trying not to rely on my right leg as much on maximal sets and push my knees out more) I didn't have any more problems with pain, just slight stiffness after an afternoon/evening of sitting around on the days I squat (early morning workouts). After seeing this article, I decided to put the sleeves on just for kicks and loved the warmth and slight increase in stability.

So I guess a more specific version of my question is this: are thin neoprene knee sleeves "acceptable" lifting gear (a la Oly shoes), or are there drawbacks, such as weak natural knee stability or weakness at the bottom of the squat, that make them more comparable to most PL gear, which is frowned upon for general training?

Wow, that was a lot of rambling... :p

Cynical Simian said:
I bought some early this year (winter months) when I was getting some pain in my right knee. But after reading a bunch of squatting articles and tweaking my form a bit (trying not to rely on my right leg as much on maximal sets and push my knees out more) I didn't have any more problems with pain, just slight stiffness after an afternoon/evening of sitting around on the days I squat (early morning workouts). After seeing this article, I decided to put the sleeves on just for kicks and loved the warmth and slight increase in stability.

Just out of curiosity - do you feel like that counts as cheating?

Same reason I do not wear a belt 98% of the time or use wrist wraps during bench. Not that it does not make the lift safer, but in the back of your mind you are thinking - 'how much is me, how much is the support gear?'.

mekannik said:
Just out of curiosity - do you feel like that counts as cheating?

Same reason I do not wear a belt 98% of the time or use wrist wraps during bench. Not that it does not make the lift safer, but in the back of your mind you are thinking - 'how much is me, how much is the support gear?'.
That "cheating" is exactly my concern and the reason that today was the first time I put them on (while sitting here in front of my computer, not while squatting). Sorry if it wasn't clear that I bought sleeves but didn't end up using them for lifting (due to concern about the "drawbacks" mentioned later in the post).

coolcolj said:

Thanks for the link.

Cynical Symian said:
So I guess a more specific version of my question is this: are thin neoprene knee sleeves "acceptable" lifting gear (a la Oly shoes), or are there drawbacks, such as weak natural knee stability or weakness at the bottom of the squat, that make them more comparable to most PL gear, which is frowned upon for general training?

The neoprene sleeves don't really help your lift like knee wraps do, they're just to keep your knee warm, correct? It's not like they provide any significant rebound effect (I don't think)

I wear an elbow sleeve for some occasional elbow pain and I don't consider it cheating.

Last edited:
Jim Ouini said:
I wear an elbow sleeve for some occasional elbow pain and I don't consider it cheating.

I know you addressed Cynical - but I brought up the cheating term. It was not meant as an attack or criticism. Just a question of whether or not you consider it a 'pure' lift if you are wearing some type of assistance gear.

And the way my knees have been feeling lately - wraps, sleeves, permanent polar ice packs are going to be the flavor of the month.

None taken, I didn't take it as an attack or criticism at all :)

I will say that sometimes I feel like it can be a mental crutch, which is one of the reasons I don't wear one anymore (the other being my knee doesn't hurt).

The elbow sleeve, though, just never occurred to me to be in the same category for whatever reason.

Now that we're on the subject, how about wrist wraps when benching :p

Top Bottom