Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A Lifter's Iron Log...

I think you're overcomplicating your training if using bands. Your strength level is nowhere near high enough to even warrant there use imo. I don't mean that to be a dick because I don't really feel they would be that much benefit to me either at my current strength level.

3-8-2011

Full Squat barx8, 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 315x1, 405x1, 435x1-belt and wrist wraps, belt only on 405 and over

Felt like I had about 10-15lbs in me on my max. Dropped it rock bottom and form was decent throughout. The walk out was ugly as hell though. I'm squatting in one of those stair stepping looking racks vs squat stands so I have to take twice as many step back as a typical stands walk out. I even joked to the guy spotting me on the max how ugly my walkout was.

Had my coach review my form and said I could bring my toe flare in abit and heels a smidge closer. Basically my heels are shoulder width apart and about 30 degree toe flare. It's not quite an olympic squat because of bar placement and grip, but the depth is pretty damn close.

Decided to take it easy and did 3 sets of 20 on the leg press with just 270. Wanted to get my hip joint moving and a little blood flow to the thighs.

Stretched the hips abit and foam rolled the left hip a smidge.

My coach says he believe I can squat 550 raw right now, but that I lack the confidence to do it atm. I said how can that be when I tried 500 and he was pressing on my chest pretty hard. He says he was barely touching my chest when I squatted that.

I trust my coach. I do think my mental state is holding me back.

3-12-2011

Rack Pulls 135x5, 225x4, 315x3, 365x2

425x6, deweight every rep. Used just my belt. I had at least 2 more reps in me. First thing likely to start giving would have been my shoulders rolling forward which is why I am gonna be doing more work for the traps and why I stopped the set short of max reps. Will do 440 next week np.

Stiff-legged Deadlift 245x2x10 np, I used lifting straps so I didn't have to mix my grip or worry about it. 255 next week np.

Power Shrugs 135x5, 225x5, 275x5

315x5x5 easy, I wanted to start light on these so I don't get debilitatingly sore or tweak my shoulders from the explosive upwards jerking motion. I will probably go up 20lbs a week until it starts becoming a real challenge and then drop the increases down a notch. I really like these. My apologies to anyone that likes regular shrugs, but I've always thought they fucking sucked ass. Back in high school I got my traps pretty huge one summer by doing 2 sets of about 30 reps once a week. The thing is, is that while I was only using maybe bodyweight at most I was explosively jerking every rep as hard and as fast as I could. Used lifting straps obviously on these.

I won't be surprised if my traps grow very visibly within the next 4-6 weeks.

One Arm DB Row 65x3, 70x3, 80x3, 85x3, 90x3, 95x3 these are all done tripod style with one arm supported on the top of the dumbell rack and bent over rather than yates style. One of the powerlifters thought my technique was sloppy, but what he didn't realize is that I have full control of the weight. Starts with a deweighted pull. Pull up smooth, but hard and fast to a quick contraction and then maybe a 1-1.5 second negative and rolling the shoulder down. Basically my whole upperbody twists as I do each rep from full extension at the start of the pull to some light leaning back and twisting on the contraction.

Dumbell rows have always felt natural doing them like this for me. I tried doing them like one of the pl'ers showed me and I feel stiff and lifeless doing them that way. Not to mention weak. I guess if my main goal was purely lat development from the row that would be ok, but I like going heavy on them and training them using 3 to 5 reps for pure strength and power.

That said I then did very strict wide grip pulldowns afterwards

#11 setting, 4x10 strict(has to be more than 110lbs.) I say this because I weigh 245lbs in gym clothes and today while I was fresh during rack pull warmups I managed to do 3 strict chinups with a rep or 2 in the tank and 3 pullups using just a tiny bit of kip. There is no way I can curl grip pulldown the #20 setting on the machine which would be 200lbs. My guess is that each setting is actually around 15lbs. This makes sense because I just started doing strict cable pressdowns on #7 yet I can do 135lbs on a barbell power french press style for reps and do a semi-strict negative on the french press with like 185lbs. If it is 15lbs than #7 would actually be about 105lbs which seems about right. This also meshes with my strict wide-grip cable pulldowns that I do sets of 10 on which would be 165lbs since I can pull my 245lbs ass up for a few decent reps.

Anyhow, GREAT workout. Felt strong. Didn't max or go all out on any set today because I felt so good that I didn't need to. One of the best workouts I have had in awhile.

Well it looks like my whole philosophy on training and how you look not mattering is bullshit and that I am full of shit.

I'll explain.

Let's just say the first girl I ever loved that loved me and that I still have thought about from time to time for the past 13 years is now back in my life in a way. We have talked on the phone, but she lives in another state so I probably won't see her for awhile.

This is where my whole outlook on training and physique just did a complete 180 today. I saw a pic of her today from about 2 years ago. She is absolutely beautiful. As beautiful as I thought she would grow up to be and apparently does not have a boyfriend nor has had one for quite some time.

I'll be completely honest. I have never been more motivated to get my ass into killer shape than now. After I saw that pic I was like how can I expect her to like what she see's when I don't look as good as her.

It's like a switch just flipped in my head.

As of tomorrow I am going to create a meal plan to start losing bodyfat.

Other than a big dietary change I am going to continue training the way I have been, but start doing cardio 30-45min 4 days a week on top of my lifting.

My goal is to cut down to a very solid, strong and good looking 205-215lbs.

So anyone that wants to slam me now go ahead.;)

Well it looks like my whole philosophy on training and how you look not mattering is bullshit and that I am full of shit.

I'll explain.

Let's just say the first girl I ever loved that loved me and that I still have thought about from time to time for the past 13 years is now back in my life in a way. We have talked on the phone, but she lives in another state so I probably won't see her for awhile.

This is where my whole outlook on training and physique just did a complete 180 today. I saw a pic of her today from about 2 years ago. She is absolutely beautiful. As beautiful as I thought she would grow up to be and apparently does not have a boyfriend nor has had one for quite some time.

I'll be completely honest. I have never been more motivated to get my ass into killer shape than now. After I saw that pic I was like how can I expect her to like what she see's when I don't look as good as her.

It's like a switch just flipped in my head.

As of tomorrow I am going to create a meal plan to start losing bodyfat.

Other than a big dietary change I am going to continue training the way I have been, but start doing cardio 30-45min 4 days a week on top of my lifting.

My goal is to cut down to a very solid, strong and good looking 205-215lbs.

So anyone that wants to slam me now go ahead.;)

Cool cool you vain son of a bitch. I always knew you were a conceited prick. Haha just kidding that's understandable if you lost bodyfat and stayed strong you would be one solid bamf at 205-215

Thanks for the kind words guys. Basically I don't care about looking great as far as my general lifting/eating philosophy, but people generally hook up with similarly attractive/in shape people etc.

I might be really strong, but the first thing she would see is my rounded face and slight gut. My brain was like........NOT GONNA HAPPEN! lol

Anyhow I am using a rather controversial diet plan that I have used in the past. It's the warrior diet.

Today I ate an orange for breakfast with some fish oil and extra c and a 5 hour energy(loaded with b vitamins).

Lunch was a scoop of whey in water and an apple.

On my way home I had a banana.

Speed Bench barx5, 135x3, 155x3 warmup

185x8x3 explosive reps, about 60 seconds rest between sets, 90 tops

dumbell clean and press 55's x3, 65's x3, 75's x3

giant set one dumbell clean and push press/jerk, 1 each arm

80x1, 85x1, 90x1, 95x1, 100x1, no rest at all

Strict Cable Pressdown #7 5x8, last 2 sets the form got looser, but it wasn't sloppy.

Bodyweight 241lbs-granted I had like nothing in me practically

After my workout I had some Ivar's(laugh if ya want) fish n chips. Total meal calories about 1000-1100.

I'm gonna eat some more here in about 15 minutes. Probably another 750-1000 calories. I'll take some whey right before bed in water.

Basically I'm gonna eat about 75% good during the night. Take Ivar's for example. Fried food, but the fish is real and good and the meal provided alot of fat since I have had like none all day.

Next up will likely be a huge glass of milk, oatmeal with raisins and some butter.

I'm not gonna break it down for every day, but basically the diet works for a couple of reasons.

During the day you burn bodyfat stores for energy. You eat only small, easily digestible foods in small amounts to feed the brain and keep your blood sugar ok. Fruits, whey protein, light yogurt all fit the bill. Veggies work too.

Then at night you eat an assload either in 1 giant meal over a period of time or over the course of 3-4 hours.

You are supposed to eat a wide variety of healthy foods etc.

It also works because over the course of a couple of hours it's hard to consume more than a couple thousand calories.

So figure during the day I took in about 400-500 calories. During the night my goal is around 2500-3000 calories over 3-4 hours.

Right there is calorie reduction and that's me at 241bs. Your typical person would not pack in that many total calories.

Anyhow, I have used it successfully before and I look forward to leaning out with it again.

I know how to break down every thing into percentages blah blah blah. I've done it in the past, but honestly I liked leaning out on the warrior diet better.

3-15-2011

Barbell Full Squat barx3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x2, 275x1, 315x1, belt+wrist wraps 365x1, walkout with 475

415x5x1 couple singles were a tiny bit sloppy. Need to keep my technique on point, every rep

That was it. Strength and energy was very good. Didn't do any leg presses after because I wanted to rest my left hip abit.

Second day on warrior diet. No strength loss so far, but then again it's only been 2 days. Next week's heavy bench day will definitely let me know if my strength is holding or improving while on it. If I don't make 280x5x5 which would be the first time I haven't made a weight progression in like, well not since I started really. If it happens I'm dropping the warrior diet.

I love the concept and idea behind the diet, but I'm not gonna lose strength just to lean out for some girl I haven't seen in forever. If strength holds or improves warrior diet continues.
We shall see.

Bodyweight 241lbs

Top Bottom