Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Postworkout Carbs when bulking vs cutting

ireekofawesomeness

Big Bro
Platinum
OK, this question is kind of weird but I'll explain it the best I can. From what I understand, your postworkout carbs are simple carbs taken in to replenish your glycogen stores in your muscles which get all used up during an intense workout. I currently take 5 scoops of N-Large postworkout which comes out to about 110 grams carbs. I am bulking, and throughout the day i probably have about 450 grams of carbs counting the shake. Now, here is my question: when i start to diet down i will be cutting my carbs by a lot, but I do not want to risk any size loss while doing so. Therefore, if i was going to go as low as say 150 grams of carbs per day, I was curious if I should spread them out into 3 or 4 early day meals and drastically reduce my postworkout carbs, or still take my 5 scoops N-Large and then maybe just have 40 grams of additional carbs for breakfast? My debate here would be that since I am taking in less carbs on the whole, my glycogen stores might not be as high in the first place (?????), thus, i would not need as many carbs postworkout to replenish them to their normal levels while leaning out, as opposed to when there is more glycogen stored while i am bulking up. I could be TOTALLY WRONG on all these assumptions, but it seems to make sense. Let me know what you bros think. later

150 grams of carbs a day is pretty damn low, but if that works for you, that's great. As for leaning out, I would either exercise in the morning (cardio) on an empty stomach, and have most of your carbs after you exercise. And the same with lifting. If you're trying to lean out, it's best to go to the gym almost hungry. That way you're burn more fat at the gym. You see, fat utilization is proportional to glycogen levels. At normal glycogen levels, you're body uses approximately 40 % of calories from fat (29%FFA's, 11% adipose tissue), and the rest from carbohydrates, and a small percentage from protein (6-10% if i remember correctly). However, as glycogen stores deplete, up to 80% of calories burned are fat calories. Knowing this, I would try to exploit it by exercising and working out with lowered glycogen levels, carb up afterwards, and make sure not to have carbs before bed.

-Keep it beefy

Makes sense beefy. Oh, and the 150 grams carbs a day thing was just a number I threw out, I take in 540 to 500 grams a day bulking and i don't know if i'd survive on 150 cutting. I've cut weight before and leaned out but lost WAY too much muscle and strength while doing so, so I'm still experimenting with mybody to see what works and what doesn't. Hopefully I will take my time cutting up this time and maintain all my mass. We'll see...

good thing...it's important that you're experimenting. a lot of some people are gung-ho on high protein diets etc etc, but i die with those. i loose more muscle mass then ever. when i cut, i have to keep the same percentage of calories from carbs as i would during bulking. basically, i keep my diet well rounded, or i'll loose a lot of muscle. so, see what works best for you. just remember to eat frequently, but with smaller meals while cutting. this is especially imporant while cutting as you're always somewhat depleted. when bulking, you can get away with 4-5 hours with no food because you're liver and muscles are so full of glycogen, but i wouldnt' advocate that while cutting as you'll sacrifice more mass than normal. keep the meals to about every 3 hours.

-beefy

HAHAHA I'd DIE eating every 3 hrs cutting...I'm bulking now and I have to eat every 2.5, i eat 7 or 8 times a day. When cutting I'll probably go to every 2 hours and have 10 a day if possible

Top Bottom