Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help with my pre-contest training...

b fold the truth

Elite Strongman
Platinum
Ok...they release what the events will be for Nationals (October) on July 4th. From now to then I am going to focus on relaxing and bringing up my extras and letting my body rest, but what some thoughts on what I should do to better prepare for my contest.

This contest is very important as it is the one that can earn me a pro card :).

I lift weights as an auxilliary to my events. The events are my primary exercise and I lift weights to make me stronger and the events. Most all of the events are "full body" exercises which makes it very difficult to determine your weak points. For example:
The atlas stones use a lot of back to get it off the ground and into your lap. From there you have to squeeze the stone (pec use) and shoot it up into the air with your back, quads, hips etc... Your biceps are worked quite a bit on these too. It is a total body exercise.
The tire flip uses hands, forearms, biceps, chest, shoulders, back, quads, hams, calves, etc...

What do I focus on when strengthening my body??? How do I know what weak points I need to bring up???

I can only focus on so many things in a week's time too...ya know?

Here is what I was thinking. I plan on doing a few weekend training sessions with the contest events and I thought that I could video them and watch for weaknesses. Sometimes it is easier to visually see them then it is to diagnose them when you are doing them.

I also thought, and I may be way off base here, that I could judge what needed to be strengthened by what muscles were sore the next day or two. If my quads get extremely sore, along with my biceps and my upper back...then I might need to strengthen those muscles especially. Maybe they are the prime movers in my events or maybe they are just the weakest links.

There will probably be 5-7 events at Nationals and I can be pretty sure that these events will be included:
Atlas Stones
Tire Flip
Sled Drag
Farmer's Walk
Overhead Log Press

Any thoughts?

B True

I'm not sure how well targetting weaknesses would work for something like this especially short term. How good can the carryover be?

I think you should stick to trying to be as efficient as possible to the movement you're trying to do.

As for soreness, I really don't think it's a good guide. It's really and individual thing. My triceps almost never get sore but my chest often does..... I wouldn't target my training around it.

MVHO

-Zulu

Clint,
The video idea sounds good.Look at yourself doing the events and see where you might be getting stuck or slowing down in the movements,or if there is anything simple that you may be able to alter.Other than that just keep working hard!!You havent worked this hard so far to miss out at this contest!!!This one is yours!

You have me stumped. not my bag but I think you know yourself and your lifts/placings well enough to know where your weak points lie? What kept you from winning each event. Might have to brainstorm on each event.

You should make the trip to indiana sometime and train with neese, coy and schoonveld. Not TOO far from you I dont think, a world of knowledge I would imagine...

B - on those events you listed - tell me "where" you hit failure on them.

ex - on the log press for reps - fail at midrange - low end of ROMetc....

list them out for the events you expect to be there.

i say you'd get beter answers asking on "the anvil" . Since they all know what knd of stuff your doing

Top Bottom