Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

foods for glycogen replenishment

wesleybarker

what food would you guys recommend to have after training to level glycogen and not affect my diet, specially in my case I work out at night so I don't want to eat the wrong food prior to bed, thank you.

this idea that you have to replace glycogen is something i hear a lot of the older guys preach, however this is just not true UNLESS you are woefully under weight.

most people are not this way, and most people should eat LESS sugars so really i would tell you that you don't need sugars after a workout. i mean are you running a half marathon? those are the people who need it, weight training i'm sorry to say isn't even close to that amount of glycogen loss

if you sweat during your workout then yes you need salt/minerals back, but as far as sugar, no you don't need it from an hour of weight training at all

ANY carb will replenish glycogen.

Normally, fast digesting carbs are best after a workout since they quickly replenish glycogen levels but since you are working out so late, I would stick with low glycemic carbs to replenish glycogen levels.

If you use fast digesting carbs, they will spike your blood sugar level and leave you feeling hypoglycaemic after. It's very hard to sleep with low blood sugar.

I would use something like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, brown rice etc.

As @muskate says, oatmeal, sweet potato....personally, after working out I really like to have some rice with tuna - this way I get both carbs and protein.

Top Bottom