Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

college bound kid needs help with possible career dealing with nutrition, need ideas

thx alot muscle dem, but i have a nother question what are the real big differences between kinesiology and exercise physiology, is kinesiology more of science and nutrition and exercise physiology more of anatomy and functions of the body's movement?

i was reading over at bill daveys website and he said he would not leave for a photo shoot unless he was making in excess of 1000$ a day b/c otherwise he would make more money with the personal training firm he owns. that is a damn lot of money, i know im not saying this is easy to achieve b/c he has a very big reputation to help with his success as well as body but just saying thats alot for personal trainer.

I really like the sciences myself, but I have read and heard that a BS degree in just about any of the sciences is almost worthless; chances are that you will be making under 30,000 a year with no job security whatsoever, and that is if you even find employment for that matter.

I think that I will be changing my major to engineering since the demand for them is higher and so is the salary and job security. I can always read biochem books on the side for recreation.

Has anyone else heard or read what I'm talking about? I would appreciate any comments because I need to decide on my major by this fall so that I won't end up taking courses that won't count as credit if I change my major.

110%

Kinesiology is basically the study of movement. Usually the program will have an emphasis on something inparticular....like athletic training, exercise science, etc.

Exercise physiology is more of the sciences on how the body works. Some biomechanics are covered, but it sticks to the cellular processes and science that deal with exercise. Physiology would have much more of a relationship to nutrition.

Ryan

my cousin is 26 and lives in Florida, he just opened a place called a " Personal Fitness Studio." Its by far the nicest gym ive ever seen, with the best equipment. Basically what happens is you can only lift there if your with their personal trainers, so you pay a shitload of money, get a personal trainer, and get their top of the line facility and equipment. I think it starts at like $300 an hour or something rediculous like that, but whatever it is, he is making some good fucking bank. Im gonna find out what he did in school and what he's actually making, its gotta be in the range your looking for.

When you get further into ex phys, it tends to become rather similar to kineseology. Many grad school programs for ex phys are straight kineseology programs.

And I would agree with everyone else who said that it is very science based, and some of the classes are very difficult. A&P involve a great many hours of rote memorization, and this is often the point where many people wash out.

Salary depends on numerous factors, but if you wish to go into strength and conditioning, and your school has a decent internship program, or somethings similar, you can often line up a job on site before graduating. Starting pay for an assistant S&C coach absolutely sucks, but if you can list yourself as a strength coach at a local university, you can generally charge more for personal training on the side. An assistant coaching job is relatively easy, and the hours are light. Gives you a great deal of time to further your education, persue certifications (which, even though most are useless, look good on a resume), etc. And if you decide to stay in the field, you can pursue higher education at the univeristy expense, generally, giving you a shot at becomming an instructor/professor, possibly with tenure. Great job security there.

It is a field in which it takes time for you to both develop and market yourself, but there are a wide range of possiblities.

Biochemistry (as someone mentioned before) would be a good route... I would have to say though that it depends where your real interests lie... you need to take up something that you have an interest in and something that you will want to do something with.

Top Bottom