Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Artificial Sweeteners..... WTF!!!!!

tridentstar

I am trying to do a CKD based on Mr. X's CKD manual and it seems like it is a failure from the get go. I have no problem drinking only water, and following the diet to a T. What i do have a problem with is the fact that all of my protein powders have some type of artificial sweeteners (even my fiber has citric acid in it, so i stopped using it)!
Does this mean that i am going to have to use strictly whole food. I know that i look better, i have been doing it for a week, and i have lost 5 pounds ( mostly water no doubt), but it seems pointless because my ketostix say that i are not many ketones in my urine......

What give, any advice?

Splenda should be OK

Thanks for the response Anthrax. But i still need to know what i should do about my protein powder...... it has sucralose.... im not sure if it is the same thing. it seems like all but real food is filled with some type of sweetener that is keeping em out of ketosis.

tridentstar said:
I am trying to do a CKD based on Mr. X's CKD manual and it seems like it is a failure from the get go. I have no problem drinking only water, and following the diet to a T. What i do have a problem with is the fact that all of my protein powders have some type of artificial sweeteners (even my fiber has citric acid in it, so i stopped using it)!
Does this mean that i am going to have to use strictly whole food. I know that i look better, i have been doing it for a week, and i have lost 5 pounds ( mostly water no doubt), but it seems pointless because my ketostix say that i are not many ketones in my urine......

What give, any advice?

The ketones in the Urine - Ketonuria - are, most of the time, not the best sign for ketosis. I would drop all the things that you think are problematic (ie. protein/fiber) and keep the diet w/ whole food and non-artificial fiber (goto www.beyond-a-century.com ...get psyllium husk) and see if you are in deep or medium ketosis. If not, then it might be just the fact that you are using up all the ketones for energy only allowing Ketoanemia. Otherwise, you will never know which supplements/proteins etc. to take out of the diet to keep you in ketosis.

Mr.X

tridentstar said:
So sucralose can keep me out of ketosis?

Many things can keep people out of ketosis, sucralose should not but you might be the lucky one that gets kicked out (or prevented from entering it) w/ sucralose in the diet.

Mr.X

Trident,

I had the same worry for a while. I use the lowest-carb protein powder I can find.... only problem with that, is it's got some artificial sweetener. And according to Mr X and others, some people get kicked out of ketosis from it.

You sound like me. I'm losing weight quite well on CKD, but my ketostix show nothing.... I discussed it with Mr X, and it could be that my ketostix are past their expiry date. Or for various reasons, ketones just aren't present in my urine. Mr X suggested that water intake might dilute them so much that they won't show up on the stix, or they're all used up in the body so there's no overflow into the urine.

You're probably the same way. I wouldn't worry if I were you.... but the best thing would be to get a ketone meter (if you can afford it, which I can't).... then you'll know for sure.

Hold on a second, Protein shakes? I`m on day 4 and have`nt drank a protein shake yet. Is it essential or can you just keep eating food?

gonelifting said:
Hold on a second, Protein shakes? I`m on day 4 and have`nt drank a protein shake yet. Is it essential or can you just keep eating food?

You don't need protein shakes...
I prefer solid food to a much greater degree....

Mr.X

I tried solid food for the first few days.... but that can get really difficult.

Try getting 15g of protein and 38g fat in a meal from solid foods.... it usually meant me frying some ridiculously small pieces of chicken and having to DRINK a whole lot of flaxseed oil. Quite awful.

Life became much easier when I learnt to measure my protein powder and oil and throw it into a milkshake container with some psyillium husks and water. I can make all the meals for the day in only minutes, and they taste really good and (surprisingly) actually keep me reasonably satisfied. I have 3 liquid meals a day and 2 meals where I just eat different amounts of scrambled eggs, fried in different amounts of canola margarine (according to the ratios, obviously) and it works great for me.

Top Bottom