Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

In this thread, you recommend basic computer programming books.

samoth

Okay, I'm reading "Modern Programming Languages: A Practical Introduction" by Adam Brooks Webber (UWM CS prof).

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Progra...7722326?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176948752&sr=1-1

Anyone have any other recommendations for intro-level, preferably abstract, computer programming books that are good for a beginner? I know there's millions of used "Java for Dummies" and crap like that, but I'm not looking for a layman's how-to book that doesn't actually explain programming in a broader, abstracted fashion...

Hmm... I don't think I really know how to concisely state what I'm looking for. Eh, something with this book's style TOC: Table of Contents

:cow:

javaguru said:
Code Complete by Steve McConnel
Thinking in Java Bruce Eckel
Thinking in C++ Bruce Eckel

Ah, good... I was hoping you would chime in here.

Looking them up now...

javaguru said:
Code Complete by Steve McConnell
Thinking in Java Bruce Eckel
Thinking in C++ Bruce Eckel

Okay, yeah. The first one especially is what I'm looking for -- not so much a book on a single language per se, but something encompassing generalized overviews of different language styles and how the different languages themselves actually work.

I'd prefer to get a "big picture" view before really delving into any specific languages. I tend to do better with inductive reasoning if I know what the heck stuff means and how it relates on a large, albeit abstract, scale.

I'd like to find anything intro-level but not freshman level CS stuff that might be more math-heavy as well... but not requiring a graduate-level knowledge in computers, e.g. THIS signal theory book

Top Bottom