Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

An issue I have with Maslow's hierarchy of needs

physiological is at the bottom - satisfying hunger, shelter, etc. this is the most basic need for all beings, and the most important. you can't put self-actualisation ahead of feeding yourself.

HeatherRae said:
Just because it may be healthier that way doesn't mean most of us are wired that way. My life would have been easier had I put self actualization in front of love, for sure. I guess most peeps would have it easier that way.
Well, I agree that most people are not wired that way (hence, the phrase "the few" I used).

Saying most people would have it easier that way is only taking the end result into consideration, IMO, for those that have gone thru the flip-flop (as I put it in the original post) went through a lot of challenging times on the journey. One has to demonstrate an immense amount of self control and foresight to be able to flip-flop needs like that. So, the end is all good and dandy but the means are hell in a hand basket

the-short-one said:
physiological is at the bottom - satisfying hunger, shelter, etc. this is the most basic need for all beings, and the most important. you can't put self-actualisation ahead of feeding yourself.
lol, did you read my post at all?!!!

KillahBee said:
The most basic need is Physiological - check.

The third need (since it is basically a relatively linear theory) is Love/Belonging - check.

The top need, the highest of the "growth" needs is self actualization - check.

Issue - The basic concept here is that the higher needs only come into focus once all the needs that are lower down in the pyramid are mainly or entirely satisfied. Well, why is self actualization not a more basic need? What happens to the few people who are circuited so that Love/Belonging is flip-flopped with Self Actualization? Is this not a "healthier" line of development??
And then as you get older ....
You are happy to wake up alive and in one piece.

I'm not joking. There will be a day when being alive is the only need,
and you really begin to appreciate everything.

the-short-one said:

LMFAO

1180gnm.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/1180gnm.jpg

thelion2005 said:
And then as you get older ....
You are happy to wake up alive and in one piece.

I'm not joking. There will be a day when being alive is the only need,
and you really begin to appreciate everything.
It's like they say - elderly and infants are one and the same.

So the pyramid flips upside down in the end....

KillahBee said:
Well, I agree that most people are not wired that way (hence, the phrase "the few" I used).

Saying most people would have it easier that way is only taking the end result into consideration, IMO, for those that have gone thru the flip-flop (as I put it in the original post) went through a lot of challenging times on the journey. One has to demonstrate an immense amount of self control and foresight to be able to flip-flop needs like that. So, the end is all good and dandy but the means are hell in a hand basket
Well, perhaps it is harder to hold off of love and work on the self actualization. I'm not sure it would be harder though. Shit, I'll take your word on it. I have probably really screwed up at times and put it before the food, shelter clothing...etc...lol. I'm a fool when in love.

Top Bottom