Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Big deal about Whey Protein Isolate vs. Concentrate?

Jayhawk21

I know I should prefer Whey Protein Isolate, but I don't understand why people buy these "premium" protein powders for 50 dollars more than a cheaper "whey protein concentrate/isolate mix". I mean whey is whey isn't it? I've noticed absolutely zero difference between very very expensive whey protein and cheaper protein. I just read the ingredients and if they aren't gipping me by putting in soy protein or other knock off shit, but if not..I don't see the big difference.

Actually isolates are simply concentrates with a bit more processing. In other words it costs a couple dollars more to make a pure isolate. Cost effective??? In my opinion, not really.

I will say I prefer isolates post workout, and if you have gas or bloating problems as some do with cheaper concentrates that have higher lactose levels.

Some of them can make you feel like you want to sh*t your pants! :)

Unless you have GI issues with a regular whey protien, I wouldn't bother with an isolate.

Personally, I've never noticed a differencel; my wife, on the other hand, is very sesitive to different brands, and uses a, isolate for that reason.

I find isolates seem to mix better into some foods and drinks, but that may just be a brand/quality issue.

MikeMartial said:
Unless you have GI issues with a regular whey protien, I wouldn't bother with an isolate.

Personally, I've never noticed a differencel; my wife, on the other hand, is very sesitive to different brands, and uses a, isolate for that reason.

I find isolates seem to mix better into some foods and drinks, but that may just be a brand/quality issue.

Must spread some karma around before giving it to MM again!

Lifterforlife said:
Actually isolates are simply concentrates with a bit more processing. In other words it costs a couple dollars more to make a pure isolate. Cost effective??? In my opinion, not really.

I will say I prefer isolates post workout, and if you have gas or bloating problems as some do with cheaper concentrates that have higher lactose levels.

Some of them can make you feel like you want to sh*t your pants! :)

actually the process of making isolates and concetrates is quite different as are the finished products. it does only take about a 1-2$ more per lb to make, however you as the consumer are not paying for raw materials (even if you were you would not pay 1-2$ more you would pay 5-6$ more (at a discount chain) 6-10$ more at full retail.

concentrate (70-80%) is about 1.50-2.50/lb- which is why its used to cut the more expensive isolate which runs from 3-5$ (3 for 90% closer to 5$ for 95-98%)

the product is quite different and for those with special digestive needs (among those that you mentioned) using isolate makes a huge difference. Also if you plan on getting a large amount of your protein from shakes it does make a difference.

concentrate is good protein, but it does have its drawbacks for some. Isolate is definitely a superior protein, how superior will depend on the individual.

macrophage69alpha said:
actually the process of making isolates and concetrates is quite different as are the finished products. it does only take about a 1-2$ more per lb to make, however you as the consumer are not paying for raw materials (even if you were you would not pay 1-2$ more you would pay 5-6$ more (at a discount chain) 6-10$ more at full retail.

concentrate (70-80%) is about 1.50-2.50/lb- which is why its used to cut the more expensive isolate which runs from 3-5$ (3 for 90% closer to 5$ for 95-98%)

the product is quite different and for those with special digestive needs (among those that you mentioned) using isolate makes a huge difference. Also if you plan on getting a large amount of your protein from shakes it does make a difference.

concentrate is good protein, but it does have its drawbacks for some. Isolate is definitely a superior protein, how superior will depend on the individual.

What you say is true, as far as raws, etc....however in most cases, gas problems arising for instance from the fat/lactose, in order to be an issue, folks most probably have a problem with milk to start with, as a serving of WPC80 that delivers ~20g protein would in itself deliver only around 1-1.5g of lactose.

In this case as I noted, isolate will most certainly be ideal.

Top Bottom