Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Scott Abel - Metabolic Damage

superqt4u2nv

Elite
Elite Moderator
I thought this was a great find.

With the seemingly ever increasing popularity in the last few years of Figure Competitions, there has been a troubling corresponding scenario developing: Metabolic damage. Yes, folks dieting and training can actually make you FAT long term if done improperly and to extremes. I used to see this somewhat in female bodybuilders, but now with the Figure boom it’s becoming almost an epidemic. It’s time someone pointed this out, and also time to search for solutions. What is happening is that for several years after a contest prep that was ill-advised, the body responds in ways to prevent the situation from happening again. While it programs itself for this, there is also immediate and resultant metabolic damage from undertaking poor diet and training strategies. The result is that within one to two years post contest the metabolism pretty much shuts down, or shuts off completely. This sets off a cascade of negative hormonal events, as well as various potential metabolic dysfunctions, one of which I will discuss below. The result is that the individual gets fat or fatter even on controlled calories and carbs. Should they desire to compete again, this usually leads to mis-guided advice of “more cardio” and more calories restriction.
Those of you who have heard me speak before on the Cycle Diet know about the dangers of absolute calories deprivation. (Those who have not can soon download one of my last Seminars at SWIS on the topic). Combined with more exercise this leads to eventual metabolic stress and dysfunction. The result is that within a few years, girls are out of the sport and getting fat and fatter each year even though they stay on consistent diet and training protocols. Recent discussions with colleagues and their own observations and feedback from other colleagues reveal I am not the only one noticing this pattern. The saddest part of it is that the girls who usually must endure the most to get contest ready are the girls who will suffer more from metabolic damage in the near future. One of the problems has been till now that it goes relatively undiagnosed when taken to a physician. Blood tests reveal “ everything to be normal” yet as a practicing professional I know for these clients everything is anything BUT normal. Staying on a PROPERLY controlled diet, and a training protocol and still gaining weight, fat, bloating, or cellulite is not normal and is indicative of a problem. The contestable issue there is no observable proof. So Drs who know little about training adaptations and effects send these girls away telling them all is normal and nothing is wrong, yet all other evidence points to the contrary. One of the existing manifestations of this is now illustrated in Wilson’s Low Temperature Syndrome. This will not explain all of the Metabolic Damage cases that I see but at least it is a start that this is a real phenomenon.
Now a little science before the explanation: Under normal hormonal conditions the body’s endocrine system is controlled by one of the master glands, the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus exerts its effect on many other glands, and of particular concern here is the pituitary gland and the thyroid. The hypothalamus stimulates the pituitary which then stimulates TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). TSH makes in the body T4, a form of traveling thyroid which the body then converts to T3, the active form of thyroid which exerts its influence on cells and tissues, to be metabolically active and responsive. Here is one of the problems. (I’m sorry this requires such intimate scientific analysis, but I want girls to understand the dangers of getting “contest ripped” at all costs). What we now know is many things can screw up or otherwise distort this process even though it would not show up on blood tests. The first thing is just general hypothalamic burnout. Too much stress on this gland for too long and it just does not function as efficiently. Next is what we now call Wilson’s Low Temperature Syndrome. You see the whole T4 to T3 conversion can and is affected by many variables; the top ones being stress, diet or fasting, illness, and increased cortisol levels. Well right away that peaks interest in the people I see with metabolic damage who have both, OVER-stressed their systems physically and usually mentally, while dieting; as well as being on “absolute calories deprivation” for way way too long. This is where it gets interesting. Remember also that cortisol is a stress hormone and will increase and exacerbate these effects of stress. One of the ways the body converts T4 to T3 is via an enzyme called 5 Deiodinase. This enzyme we now know is inhibited by the above factors of stress, extreme dieting, cortisol and other contributing factors. Under stress and fasting (extreme Figure type diets) the body both, converts less T4 to T3, and converts more T4 to RT3. The problem with this is that the RT3 is an INACTIVE form of thyroid. It exerts too little to no influence on the cells and tissues. Because the actual activity of T3 takes place in the cells and tissues, there is no proper way to measure it or see if it is actually doing its job. Blood tests only determine that hormones are doing their job by there being such and such an amount in the blood stream. But since most of the activity is in the cells and tissues, not the blood, a blood test would reveal normal levels of TSH, T4, and T3, yet none may be acting appropriately on their target tissues, especially the T3. Girls can suffer all the symptoms of low thyroid function, but still show normal thyroid on a blood test. This means gaining weight easily even though dieting, fatigue, irritability, etc etc just to name a few effects. And Wilson’s Low Body Temperature Syndrome would not be possible to screen for on a blood test. This is just one way metabolic damage can manifest itself after a disastrous contest approach and too long of a diet, with too much macro and micro nutrient deprivation for far too long. Seems that sometimes those who really do “try the hardest” suffer the most. The reason I keep referring to this being about girls is that is what I see the most, and of those who actually do have Wilson’s Syndrome, 80 % are female. This phenomenon can also develop in other situations, like for instance, ladies who diet for their weddings, for far too long and end up with the same bad metabolic response over time. It’s not sometimes just that “eating habits changed” with being married, but metabolic damage ensued as a post-diet, stress response to the wedding itself. (And tons of girls find their weddings mentally and emotionally stressful: just like girls preparing for Figure shows)
Ok, this is just one such sample of metabolic damage.
Another factor I have little proof of right now but that I am sure exists is some kind of permanent or resultant damage to the aldosterone hormone and it’s feedback mechanisms, given that aldosterone is also a stress response hormone in general.
The good thing about Wilson’ Syndrome is that it “may” be reversible. If you are concerned you may have metabolic damage do a search and check out the symptoms for Wilson’s Syndrome and see if you fit the bill. This is NOT the only measure of how metabolisms get damaged in this over-train, over-diet, yo yo syndrome of the Fitness Industry. Unfortunately the Fitness Industry and Figure events are now leading down the road to the Fatness Industry! I have seen and have several clients who formerly got bad advice and prepared for their contests with a “win at all costs” mentality that is now hurting them long term.
Ladies, (and gentlemen), you need to start choosing your coaches and trainers more wisely. Going to extremes of 2-3 hours cardio per day, plus training, plus over-dieting, may get you to the Winner’s Circle at level 1 or 2, but at what costs to you?????
One of the reasons I got into the whole Metabolic Power/ Metabolic Endurance Training was to try to find ways around these “other” potentially damaging pre- contest protocols. And the “Cycle Diet” also explains how to prevent the effects of Absolute Calories Deprivation, from destroying your metabolism long term. I hope anyone reading this is paying close attention and will forward this to any other girls they know who are “die’ting for a show and may be doing damage to themselves. If your nails are brittle, and hair is falling out, etc, these are warning signs. Please abide them. I feel sorry when I see a cattle call of women at Figure events, with some 80 girls in them. Some are born to do it, and others struggled like hell to get up there, and unknowingly (and usually by actually being coached!) have set themselves up a one way ticket to Fatsville, long term. They just don't know it yet. The reason I explained about Wilson’s Syndrome is because it’s one way at least that we know of that is treatable and a way back to normal metabolic function and normal fat loss, with normal dieting.
More on women’s issues soon !!!! Please pass this around to anyone you know may be damaging themselves, by competing. As usual i welcome comments on my Forums section at scottabel.com

More on Metabolic Damage

Well within just a couple of short days it seems the Metabolic Damage Blog is creating quite a Firestorm of feedback. To that, I say Great!!! Wonderful!! If it creates contemplation, discussion, dialogue, and awareness, then what more can one ask? Well from the feedback I’ve been getting I need to elaborate on some things. First, many of you have referred to that Blog as “an article.” Well it’s not. An article by me would be much more formal and well prepared. That’s just me going off like I will in all my Blogs. No editing (other than spell check), no extra this or that; just getting to the point. I think I need to make this Blog in order to expand on some of the concepts I presented so no one starts to twist the facts or mis-represent them either deliberately or by accident.
First I will say though, because of the now over whelming response, we need to get the message out there on a wider scale. Seems that just in a few days girls are coming forward, now realizing it isn’t just them, and that maybe there is more to their new found Fatness than meets they eye. I think every Province should have the Blog posted on their own and other known relevant websites. Don’t ask me because I don’t have clue, but I know there are lot’s of them out there. I don’t think this will happen because promoters know that Figure is a huge cash cow for them and they probably won’t want to bring any controversial attention to such events.
Next, for those of you who followed up my Blog with your own research, good for you for the follow through. You know what sometimes surprises me about this is that people will second guess me with all of my years of education and experience and results behind me, and yet they will listen sight unseen to any plate head in the gym who tells them anything of advisement, or worse yet, to these internet Guru’s who, well that’s a whole other topic. Anyway, a couple of you took it upon yourselves to send me the Medical Professionals formal stance on Wilson’s Syndrome, as being undocumented, and as of yet, unscientific, and not taken seriously. Yes, I’ve seen it. Now usually I am wholly and absolutely on the side of Formal medicine, but in this instance, do I not trust my own eyes, and my own experience?? From where I sit and who I deal with, Metabolic Damage, in many forms and Wilson’s Syndrome is a very real phenomenon!!! Period, regardless of the medical community’s position! There is an old saying, “If you want to know the way up the mountain, ask the one who travels it every day!” Well in this case folks, that’s me. I deal with these ladies and women all the time and metabolic damage is something I am seeing with more and more frequency, and it seems to tie directly in to the Figure competition explosion. I think that is more than just coincidence. And by the e-mails I’m getting and posts on my Forums section, many of you are seeing it, or experiencing it as well.
However a few things need to be pointed out and made clear.
First not every single girl who over diets and over trains will necessarily suffer Metabolic Damage. Some people just have very resilient physiologies. But my point is you don’t know if that is you till well after the fact.
Secondly, just because your trainer had you doing two sessions of cardio or whatever doesn’t make them guilty of anything. Such decisions must be based on lifestyle, calories control etc. If someone is otherwise sedentary all day, sitting at a desk, then sometimes, protocol calls for a double session. Next, there is a huge difference between having a stubborn metabolism and ending up with Metabolic Damage, although I will say that sometimes, having the former will definitely lead to the latter. Next this is not about the Blame Game, either!!!! It’s weak to get to this point and start pointing fingers. Like a girl said on my Forums, she takes full responsibility. She chose the trainers, she listened and followed the advice, etc. Everyone must take responsibility for their role in this, including unfortunately and for lack of a better word, the victims.
Next do not for a minute underestimate the role of pharmaceutical involvement in creating Metabolic Damage. Just because a girl doesn’t take steroids doesn’t mean the risks of other drugs are not as great or greater. And wannabe trainers with a lack of real knowledge make this worse. I know plenty of trainers that try and pretend to make up for lack of knowledge with a “throw more drugs at the problem, solution” Example; Thyroid medications. T3 is for some reason very popular among dieting Figure girls and competitors. This is not a drug I would ever counsel a client to take, male or female for competition. And there is plenty of evidence that dieting Figure Girls are indeed abusing such drugs, at a huge cost in terms of rebounding, and potential Metabolic Damage. Next is Clenbuterol. I’m not talking about use, here, I’m talking about out and out abuse of this fat burner. Clen is from the same family of Beta Agonists as Ephedrine and works in much the same way. Many people in the past used Ephedrine when it was legal and got good results with it. However, many abused it as well. I remember a former Figure contestant telling me she liked to take 9-10 ephedrine at once “just to party” Well it’s that kind of mentality that leads to real trouble. Abusing clenbuterol, as a fat burner rather than using it as a fat burning tool, again, comes with distinct and real risks, in terms of rebounding and, down the road, Metabolic Damage.
But to reiterate, no not everyone will suffer from Metabolic Damage just from one bad diet experience. And others who want to use this Metabolic Damage, Blog as an excuse to be fat, well, do a reality check first and make sure you got your facts straight and are not just looking for someone to blame while you are at home binge eating on a regular basis. That is a whole other issue. (But also a female one to be sure)
But the bottom line is that yes, now that the cat is out of the bag, many girls are realizing what they have done to themselves, and are now searching for a way out. As far as I know, I am currently the only one trying to help and solve the issue. For the doubters out there in the industry, just take a look around you in terms of real world society. Every year, thousands of people go to a Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers, etc. Most fail, but there are many that succeed, with little to no exercise. So if the general population can succeed with diet alone, why are high level competitors, who do strength training and cardio workouts, combined with very low calories diets, why are they gaining fat and cellulite. The proof that Metabolic Damage is real is all around us, and I’m glad the ladies are feeling free to come forward.

Metabolic Damage and Women’s Issues Continued

It’s now quite obvious that metabolic damage is a real issue. I’m receiving e-mails from all over North America from females who have felt a wake up call regarding my previous Blogs on the subject. (Didn’t know it was getting out there so far) So I feel the need to continue here. Yes, I feel the proliferation of metabolic damage in otherwise healthy young ladies is directly connected to the boom of Figure competitions but there is far more to it. Also I need to point out again, that Wilson’s Low Temperature Syndrome is only but one in several, some as yet unidentified ways that such pursuits are leading to real and long term metabolic damage. This is primarily a female issue for several reasons. There are other female issues to deal with here as well; such as digestive problems, digestive stress, constipation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Colitis, and Chrohns’s disease. Most of these can be considered a part of a continuum of a beginning of metabolic stress in females and enhanced by varying degrees of severity. I have dealt with clients with every single one of the above conditions or diseases, and ALL of them have been female! Why is this? Well the answer is both simple and complicated and both require further explication. First we need to address properly that because we live in a man’s world, that alone creates internal stress for females who buy into societal identity and prescriptions to “who and how they should be” Internalizing these narrow definitions of feminine and womanly lead to a myriad of issues and the pursuits of women to adhere to these definitions is part of the problem. I have had many female clients in the past hire me and come to me with copies of Maxim or Playboy in their hands to show me what look they wish to accomplish. Do they not realize that these are Men’s magazines marketing to men what women should look like for the purpose only of sexual desire? This totally objectifies women yet they buy right into it, and thus begins the problem. That identity becomes their goal identity so to speak. That is a problem right there wrapping up one’s identity and self worth all within a physical or cosmetic package. Male bodybuilders do the same thing, with respect to magazine bodybuilders.
Once women internalize this as a goal, other aspects of their self identity take a back seat to its pursuit, usually at the expense of their own well being. Consider the digestive track as your body’s way of trying to communicate to you messages from your consciousness. Constipation in females for the most part is an example of a physiology telling that individual she is repressed emotionally. It means she has repressed something into her consciousness that the body is making her aware of, and that her consciousness wants her to address, often some kind of emotional stress. Frequently this revolves around self image and no where is this more apparent than in the Fitness, cosmetic world and Figure competitions.
But it didn’t begin here. For decades female ballerinas suffered the peril of “maturing” in a natural way which then thwarted their overall aesthetic and then at a young age their careers were over. To combat it, many battled with anorexia, and usually suffered very painful foot deformities and maladies later in life. All for a few years of pursuing something they loved. In the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, female gymnasts were also put on severe diet restrictions and often even drugs to delay puberty long enough to win a medal. Then, most coaches were indeed male and so was their world view. The metabolic damage done to them as pre-adolescents and teens is now evident in their adult lives. There are many books about it from the former gymnasts themselves. This brings us back to the modern pursuit of the “Figure Look”
Listen you are either born with a natural V taper, capped delts, and tiny waist, or you are not. Some people are just born to do this. Others struggle to do so because they love it, but again at what cost to their physiology? Ladies it is now time to look inward. Every year for instance at Fame shows there are a few to several hundred competitors in Figure. Only a handful have a chance to even place. My question is what are all these other girls thinking, and shame on their trainers. Most trainers are not financially secure enough to really care about a client, so they will enter them in shows, take their money and put them through whatever means necessary, diet, training, and pharmacology wise to get them to a “show ready” physique. Now then, what is the cost of this pursuit to the body? Ladies, its time to start doing some real soul searching, and for lack of a better word, a cost analysis or more reality math if you will. Weigh, what are the costs of doing a show vs. the benefits. What is a show costing you in terms of compromising your self image, your level of self awareness and self gratification? What is the cost physically in terms of energy drain vs. energy enhancement? For some competing in Figure is just another presence of the dastardly “Energy Vampire” but in a more physical way. What do you gain, in terms of a sense of accomplishment, sense of achievement? Do the gains out weigh the costs. Are you a better person for taking this on? Are you suffering any physical ailments or warning signs by taking this on? Many girls start to define themselves differently once they get into this. They are no longer OK the way they are, in their minds. They only feel “good” about themselves when they are in a physically unsustainable state that exhausts them, that they can’t possibly maintain, and when they go back to their normal physical state they become depressed, angry at themselves etc., and metabolic damage ensues. They do not recognize they bring this on themselves by altering their self identity. From that point on, of achieving a stage ready body, they can no longer accept themselves as anything less, even though it is an impossibility to maintain for anything but a short term. I have many female clients, that are very pretty girls, by any standard definition but have lost that recognition of themselves, via the competitive route to re-identifying and re-defining themselves in contest ready terms rather than in every day reality.
To another issue: Why are these ladies all training with bodybuilding type training? Not only is it non-functional but it doesn’t even serve the purpose for the nature of the competition they are doing???? A good trainer/coach knows that. Agility training, takes the cell volumization training to a whole other level.
This is what my Metabolic Enhancement Training is now all about. It’s about giving these ladies back their working metabolisms, while it’s still possible. Those few females already on the protocol can comment on my Abel Files Forums section, how such training is different, and how it makes them feel vs. the basic bodybuilding type training most Figure girls are doing which serves no functional purpose, not even metabolically! Again, ladies need to start addressing the cost/benefit reality math for even the type of training they are doing. If their training is producing a tired heavy feeling physiology via biofeedback, it’s not the right protocol.
The Metabolic Enhancement Training is designed to serve metabolism not destroy it. The ladies are reporting in short times spans, renewed energy and vigor, FROM the training, instead of exhaustion from it. They report cat like reflexes and new found agility and energy. No; this is NOT a plug for Metabolic Enhancement Training, it’s proving a point. Training methodology will not enhance the desired V shape sought after in competitions. That is a natural thing pretty much. Therefore training should serve the body well, just as should diet. The Metabolic Enhancement Training is designed for energy production not energy destruction. Ladies can once again feel “athletic” look “athletic” and still be competitive in a way that serves the body functionally, and yet still allows the female to define HERSELF as feminine, since the effect on muscle is much different. Just as pronounced but much different.
At last year’s Provincial Championships, most Figure contestants that placed high would have won the Nationals in Bodybuilding not more than 5 years ago. That is NOT a compliment! Instead of other women walking away inspired, most audience members were of the opinion, “I wouldn’t want to look like that.” Sad as it is, in bodybuilding I’ve seen many women ruin their lives and their career with their obsession with physique development. Desire for the unattainable or for the “victory” at all costs has led to widespread drug abuse of MALE hormones. Women I knew to have begun their pursuit of stardom with very feminine attributes now look like bad science experiments or worse, male transvestites. There is a difference between obsession, and devotion and commitment. When the Servant becomes the Master, be warned. Is your training serving you, or are you a slave to it???!!!!!! Figure contestants are now falling in to this trap. Obsession with physique presentation is not the same as a determined committed effort to a worthy endeavor. Ladies please start questioning what the costs are to you to continue to pursue such an elusive and subjective goal. And please let the pursuit of that goal stop defining you both as a female and as a person!
Have a goal, yes. Have a coach, yes! But have a knowledgeable coach who can put you on the path to both reaching your goals, and serving your body well, not pursuing a type of training that sucks the life blood out of you. Training must be exhausting yes, but still be invigorating to the body. How many of you can say you are honestly getting that out of your training or coaching? Pounding you into the ground until you are contest ready is not serving you, as an athlete or a coach. But you as the client must recognize this.
I have got further and further away from what this Blog was meant to get at. But with the e-mails I’m getting I guess it’s time to address all of these issues. I want to continue in my next Blog for sure to discuss Metabolic Damage in yet another form. Enzyme destruction.
I hope you will stay tuned and as always, post on my website in the Abel Files Forums sections your thoughts on this or any other Blog. The female issues involved here are deep and numerous. I can’t address them all in one Blog. I hope in this one I touched on a few issues that may allow you ladies to look a little differently at how and why you pursue your physical goals, on an emotional, mental level, which may inadvertently be contributing to your self destruction and metabolic damage. Always keep in mind when you look inside yourself, “if you are not finding the answers, then you need to ask different questions!”

That's some interesting stuff - I agree on all counts w/ his assessment of the trends in the sport.

For ref re: Wilson's Low Temp Syndrome - go figure - whole website on it --- http://www.wilsonsthyroidsyndrome.com/

Here's a "what is it" quote from that site;

Wilson's Temperature Syndrome is a condition that causes symptoms characteristic of decreased thyroid system function. Named Wilson's Temperature Syndrome in 1990, it is best identified by its reproducible and predictable response to normalization of body temperature patterns (with a special thyroid hormone treatment protocol developed by E. Denis Wilson, MD and/or WTSmed Supplements which are natural medicines). It is the cluster of often debilitating symptoms especially brought on by significant physical, or emotional stress that can persist even after the stress has passed (due to a maladaptive slowing of the metabolism). It is characterized by a body temperature that runs, on average, below normal and routine thyroid blood tests are often in the "normal range."

Classically, Wilson's Temperature Syndrome sufferers are going along fine in their lives, and then they go through some major stress, develop symptoms of Wilson's Temperature Syndrome and are never the same.

They often develop numerous burdensome complaints, like those listed on the cover of this book. In this book, each symptom is characterized so thoroughly, that you'll get a good idea of what it feels like to have Wilson's Temperature Syndrome.

Wilson's Temperature Syndrome is especially brought on by stresses such as: childbirth (#1 cause), divorce, death of a loved one, job or family stress, surgery or accidents, excessive dieting, and others.

Some people are more prone to developing Wilson's Temperature Syndrome than others. Their symptoms may come on earlier in life and tend to worsen more gradually over time. They may not even know what it feels like to be normal. It seems that those who are most prone to developing WTS are those whose ancestors survived famine, such as Irish, Scot, Welsh, American Indian, Russian, etc. Most susceptible of all seem to be those who are part Irish, and part American Indian. But under severe circumstances people of any nationality can develop Wilson's Temperature Syndrome. It seems that about 80% of Wilson's Temperature Syndrome sufferers are women. In this book, Dr. Wilson gives a possible explanation as to why.

It's easy to predict whether or not a person has a low body temperature, based on his/her symptoms and how and when they came on. If people have a story that's just classic for Wilson's Temperature Syndrome then the chances of their temperature not averaging below 98.6 degrees is less than one in two hundred. In fact, most of them by far, will average 97.8 and lower (>92%).

GOOD FIND

One of the main reasons I ALWAYS rec. a cheat/refeed to get that carb level back up to bump thyroid AND a daily temp check

Alphie Newman is a case in point

Good read. Scott Abel's a great trainer. He routinely has his clients consume 10 plus pickels a day for sodium up until the week before a show to help support metabolic functioning and hormone levels. Not a big fan of his 12,000 calorie a day off season eating recommendation but plenty of good points all around in that article.

Shadow: Whatever happened to Alphie Newman? I know she totally messed up her thyroid and gained quite a bit of weight. She's not involved in the fitness industry anymore altogether?

Top Bottom