Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Deadlift by Bob Gaynor

future

Freelance Writer
Platinum
In the 30+ years Powerlifting USA has been in existence there have been thousands of training articles published. To some degree all would have value. One thing this should tell us is that there are many ways to improve.

At one time the deadlift was the big lift. It was the lift in which you handled the most weight, and in most cases it decided the outcome of the contest. The saying was “The meet doesn’t start till the bar is on the floor.” The technological advances in equipment and one’s ability to master this equipment changed that. The theory that you did not have to directly train the deadlift became popular. Deadlifts, with a few exceptions, have not improved. To illustrate, my 641 was ranked 31st in Powerlifting USA this year.. 25 years before it would not make the Top 100.

I think the pendulum is starting to swing the other way. As more and more lifters become proficient in the use of equipment, the playing field is again becoming level and the deadlift is becoming more and more important.

I went to my first power meet in 1962 (a 4 lift meet), and I was hooked. Of all the lifts, the deadlift really fascinated me because at that time it was the lift that you handled the most weight.

I started deadlifting without any plan. There were no publications that dealt with Powerlifting at that time. Iron Man would have some information, but did not have detailed training routines.

I have trained my deadlift consistently for the last 40 years, not always for competition, but I still deadlifted once per week. I have tried just about every possible routine. I was fortunate enough to compete with, see and/or train with some of the best of all time.

The one thing I have found consistent with these lifters, were they all trained the deadlift on a weekly basis, and they handled heavy weights. Unless you are a genetic freak, I don’t think you will become a really good deadlifter without doing that.

It is extremely difficult to have a training program that is appropriate for everyone. Having a training template that fits the beginner, intermediate and advanced lifter is really asking a lot. Even defining beginner, intermediate or advanced is not an easy thing to do. An individual may have been training for 5 or 10 years, but if they had only deadlifted occasionally during that time, they are really a beginner, as far as pulling goes.

What I am going to present here is a program that can be applied to lifters of all levels. It can also be adjusted throughout the year to keep the mind fresh and continue to make progress. There are no guarantees that you will put a certain number of pounds on your deadlift, but I guarantee you this. If you follow it you will make progress.

Don Cundy, John Druzenko, Joe Weinstein, Vince Anello, Rick Gaugler, Dan Wholber, Eddie Coan, Veli Kumpuniemi and some of the other Finn’s were lifters whose programs I have used. For over 15 years I trained with the great John Kuc.

John’s routine was simple, three heavy sets of 3 or 4 reps every week. Throw in some upper back and that was it. (870 lbs. w/o equipment at 237 lbs.) Do I need to say more? John deadlifted 52 weeks a year.

One of the better pullers of today, Sgt. Rock, had a great article in the Nov. 2008 Issue of Powerlifting USA. It stressed the importance of heavy work.

Using input and information from these lifters I just mentioned and trial and error over a long period of time I have settled on a deadlift training program that can continue to be used and is designed in a way to change enough to prevent mental fatigue and still make progress.

I train at Bob Benedix’s World Gym in Port St. Lucie, FL. I train with my son, J.D., Greg “Doc” Hayes, Fred Goldberg , Tim O’Brien and Bob Benedix., . It is a great group to train with.

Important Points:

1. Try to follow a clean diet, the less body fat the stronger you will be.

2. Follow a sensible supplement program. Protein powder, multi vitamins, extra C, Creatine and Glutamine are essential. I have used Beverly International Protein for over 25 years.

3. Rest/Sleep

Your body has to recover. Without the proper rest/sleep you lose much of your potential progress.

4. Grip

The grip is essential. Train your grip at least 5 days per week. Keep a gripper in your car or next to the remote. You can greatly improve your grip. An old Jim Williams solution to someone’s grip problem, (not his), was hold the last heavy rep of the workout for a count of 10.

5. The upper back plays an important part in the deadlift. It also recovers very quickly. I will train my upper back 3 or 4 times per week. (Seated Rows, or the killer (1 arm dumbbell rows).

This program is designed for a 3 lift competition. If you don’t squat I would suggest an every 5th day deadlift program.

Training Program: 4 Days Per Week

Tuesday: Bench Press, arms, back

Wednesday: Light legs (leg press and light squats, hamstring, calves and back.

Friday: Heavy bench press, arms, back

Sunday: Heavy squats and heavy deadlifts, hamstring and calves.

Also, cardio and abs should be done at least 6 days per week.

*Note: You can do your heavy squats on Wednesday and your deadlifts on Sunday. I prefer to do both on the same day.

Deadlift Program:

In the late 70’s Rick Gaugler popularized a wave training program. Pete Alaniz of Titan recently told me Rick patterned this after John Kuc’s program. The difference was John trained on feel and adjusted week to week based on that. Rick’s was more structured up, back off, up again. I think the structured program works best for most lifters.

The following program is a long range wave program. This can go on and on. It requires no additional work for weak points, because it addresses the start and the finish.

There are really 4 programs. The weight on the bar does not increase, and will probably decrease. This overcomes the mental dread of continually adding weight to the bar.

Mental Aspect

Of the three lifts I feel the deadlift is mentally the most draining. Someone once said that is because the weight has no prior movement. You don’t take it off uprights or from a rack, it just sits there.

John Kuc used to almost go into a trance (Gus R describes this very well in one of his Hawaiian write ups) before a heavy deadlift.

This is a quote from Vince Anello. “The common denominator for deadlifting is the mind.” “A bull dog mindset. If you only hope or wish to achieve or excel you have a greater chance of failure. “When approaching the bar in training as well as competition. Think only of completing the lift.”

I can’t overstate the mental aspect of deadlifting. I am not talking about putting on a show,. Your mind should think nothing but completing the pull.. For those of you who have ever seen Rickey Crain (over 700 @165) come out for a heavy pull know what I mean.

When my deadlifting is going well someone could stand right in front of me and I would not know it.

You must train yourself to succeed. Everyone misses on occasion, but this should be rare. If you miss too often your mind will expect failure and shut down when you need it most, because it is accustomed to doing that.

Even if you have been deadlifting on a regular basis I would start with Phase 1.

For the first 4 weeks do your warmups and then 3 sets of 3. Start with a weight you feel you can do 3×3 without too much trouble. Add 10 or 15 lbs. per week for week 2, 3 and 4. (Ex Week 1 500 x3×3 Week 2 515 x3 Week 3 530×3) Week 4 540 x3×3).

The key to this program is building tremdous back strength over time. The 3’s are work sets, enough to tax you and let you know you have worked, but not to failure. Be honest with yourself and work hard, but make sure you can complete the workout..

Week 5: 515 x 3 x 3 Week 6 530- x 3 x 3 Week 7 545 x 3 x 3 Week 8 560 x 3 x 3. This can be an 8 or 12 week cycle. If 12, start week 9 with 525 or 530 x 3 x 3.

For the next cycle we will be doing deficit deadlifting (standing on blocks). Use 2-l/2” or 3” blocks. Perform a wave just like the previous program, but start lighter (Example: 450 x 3 x 3 460 x 3 x 3 470 x 3 x 3 480 x 3 x 3) This will really improve your start and your overall pull because you will be pulling 3 inches further. You can use this for a 4 or 8 week program.

We have now trained for between 12 and 20 weeks, and probably had a contest. The program should have the contest at the end of the 4th, 8th or 12th week, etc.

By now some tremendous back strength is starting to be developed. The next 2 phases are the toughest. This will separate the men from the boys.

We go back to the floor, but we add bands. We use the l/2” bands (Red or purple), and make our own attachment (See attached picture). The platforms (2) are 12 x 2 24” long with eye hooks at each end. Run the bar through the eye hooks and attach each end to the bar. Follow the same reps here 3 x 3 for 4 weeks and then a pull of a single in week 5 with bands.

The final stage is deficits with bands, again I would only do these for 4 or 5 weeks. For this phase you might want to do just singles.

What have we done? We have trained for 6 or 8 months and should be much stronger. What we have not done is burn out by adding weight each week. We have actually dropped back as we go into a new phase. We work harder, but have less weight on the bar. I think many lifters burn out by having to continually add weight, especially in the deadlift.

Think about this, we all get mentally stale on a routine. This routine is constantly evolving, the weight continually changing. It can be used over and over again, and continue to make progress. Remember an advanced lifter is not going to improve 100 lbs. in a year, but you can make steady progress.

I follow this program. I train the deadlift once per week. I am 63 years old, 198 lbs. and hope to pull close to 700 by the end of 2009..

Another great find, thanks Future.

I've already been phasing into a 3x3 on deads so I think I'll give some of this a run.

Cheers,
Scotsman

That was a great read and motivating to hear a 63 yo gettin ready to pull 700lbs... Picked up
a few things here Ima stick with...
Also the abb work 6days a week I found interesting.

Top Bottom