Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you believe in lighter weight, higher reps?

Do you decrease do lighter sets?

• No, never. Heavy heavy heavy.

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • On occasion I do some lighter sets, or some lighter workouts. But rarely.

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • I do some light sets with each workout (not including warm-up).

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Most of my training revolves around a lighter weight, higher rep range.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Yes, always. I don't lift heavy weights.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBishop

Many leading sports scientists agree that lowering the weight and raising the number of reps can cause more hypertrophy than just heavy weights/low reps alone. But most bodybuilders will squeal like little girls and hide under the bench when confronted with the idea of downing the weight and upping the reps.

However, it's widely accepted in sports-science journals to have a great anabolic effect.

Reason being:
With ultra-high intensity still maintained, sets of 15-30 reps (generally in drop-sets) can cause capillarisation of the muscle.... in other words, capillaries are widened and blood flows more efficiently, allowing for better recovery and an increase in the muscle volume itself.

Also, sets of 10-20 reps can increase the amount of glycogen stored in the muscles, which can cause an increase in muscle volume itself. And since water binds to glycogen, this also helps increase size and keep the muscle hydrated. As with creatine, an increased muscle cell size can mean more strength.

It's not recommended that you dismiss heavy training altogether, but incorporate these other methods into your heavy training routine .... because heavy weight/low reps only really causes hypertrophy by increasing thickness of the muscle fibres themselves. And for most people, the results are limited.... it's believed that capilarisation and increasing glyocgen storage can cause greater hypertrophy than thickening the muscle fibre alone.

So do you believe in throwing in some lighter sets, lighter days or maybe lighter weeks? Or are you HEAVY until the day you die?

Last edited:
Its a good point, Poliquin says "Time Under Tension" is the best way to induce hypertrophy. But it never mentions rep counts, just keeping under the tension anywhere from 30-60 secs. I would think you could do a moderate to heavy weght and go slow but make the set last 40secs and that would still bring about serious hypertrophy.

For me, light weights are used for warmup. On my one building set, I take a really heavy weight and take it past failure. I don't see how light weights will build muscle.

What I've heard is a mix of both. On bench press for example, you wanna start low and do about 15 reps, this will open up the capillaries for better blood flow, then increase to your normal weight and do whatever you normally do, be it 5x5, 3x8, whatever, but since you have better blood flow, it will get better results.

From what I understand of it, capiliarisation doesn't occur immediately. It takes weeks and months for significant change, just like any other training effect....

Many pros have touted the benefits of it as well. Arnold used to rep to 15 regularly.... and Dorian used to do the ultra-intense drop sets (for about 25-30 reps) a few weeks out from contest. He claimed he could pack on some real mass in those last weeks, even while dieting.

Do you believe in lighter weight, higher reps?

For me, no. I prefer to use either moderate or heavy weight even if I'm doing a higher rep set. I like to do higher reps for my triceps so I feel the deep burn but even though I'm doing say 15-20 reps(that's high for me), I'll still try to use a moderate weight as opposed to a light weight. When I do a machine exercise, say pulldowns, I'll usually start at a higher rep range, then as my sets progress, drop the reps and up the weight each set. That tends to work for me. I really think it depends on what works for you. I like to feel that deep burn so I'll adjust my reps/weight according to each bodypart.

I tend to cycle my workouts. I include high rep, medium rep, and low rep exercises every 6 to 10 weeks for different exercises/body parts. My workouts are always changing. I've been working out for a long time (over 19 years) and this keeps my muscles challenged and has worked well for me. Of course, I don't compete, but I think high rep work has its virtues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom