Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training Interruption...help!

wyst

Hey all...

What would you do if you had to stop hitting the weights for 4-5 days?

I have to go to a funeral way up in the north, and I know from my past visits that there won't be any place for me to train with weights. What would you do? Just concentrate on the cardio for those days? Lots of pushups and crunches in the hotel room (no gym in the hotel)? Lots of cardio? I don't want to do so much cardio I burn off my muscles, but I want to do something, especially given that these people are all meat and potatos and booze and cigarettes (hence the funeral) and that what's I'm going to be dealing with the whole time, in addition to 4 hours of trains and 7 hours of driving each way.

Any ideas? I could maybe stop on the way and pick up one of those stretchy cable thingies that you stand on to do curls or something like that, I guess..

Help?

Wyst

Unless you are preparing for a competition - enjoy the lay-off! It is only 4/5 days, not 4/5 WEEKS! - LOL!

You'll see, you will come back rested and stronger than before, that is, unless you spend the majority of your time face down in a puddle of your own puke.....;)

Keep your diet clean...dont stress about it..take a few walks while you are gone and get back on track when you come back..that amount of time is not going to make or break you.

Enjoy it! If you can find a local gym where you are or if there is a branch of a gym you are a member of, you can get a travel pass and visit. Always interesting to meet people at a diff location. Also a nice break if the funeral festivities get a little too heavy.

Otherwise, when you get back you will probably find that your body will be rejuvenated after some time off!

I just went to a funeral "way up north". I was gone only for 3 days, but believe me, there was too much to do with supporting the family and grieving yourself to even think about weight training. Take the time to spend with your loved ones that you don't get to see that often. In the long run that is what matters.

Thanks for the advice guys...I'll feel less guilty now for breaking training.

You rock!

I still think I'm going to be doing a fair amount of situps and pushups in my room. Not out of a sense of guilt, but just because I'll be going nuts otherwise. I originally got into the whole fitness thing not to get fit but to relieve stress, weirdly enough. The rest of it just sort of came when I realized that I like the changes to my body. This is the dysfunctional family circus that I'm going to be hanging with, so I'll need to do something, or they'll be supporting me instead of the other way around.

KBGirl: up north means Northern Maine, Aroostook County. Up near the border with New Brunswick. That anywhere near your neck of the woods?

Wyst

I'm sorry for your loss. I would say 'enjoy the time off' as well, but I understand if you don't want to.

If you do get a "Dynaband" - stretchy tube with handles, they are VERY versatile! You can hit just about every major muscule group in your body with some creativity. All you need to do to get more resistance is to wrap it around your palm (squeeze it off with your thumb so you're not cutting circulation off to your fingers!) and BANG... more resistance!

You could also try just doing some yoga or stretches in your room if you simply want to keep active (I get stiff from sitting too long).

Or some isometrics so you're working your slow twitch muscle fibers/ doing muscular endurance training. It won't help you get stronger, but may help you mentally to feel like you're not going to atrophy (even though you won't anyway)!

I travel alot and am often in your situation...and and also do the gym thing as a stress reliever (some people go out after work for a drink to de stress..i go to the gym!!)

anyways, you'd be surprised what some sit-ups, pushups, squats, lunges..etcetc can do....

after days of long meetings it really helps...i bet it would help some in your situation too...

wyst said:
This is the dysfunctional family circus that I'm going to be hanging with, so I'll need to do something, or they'll be supporting me instead of the other way around.

KBGirl: up north means Northern Maine, Aroostook County. Up near the border with New Brunswick. That anywhere near your neck of the woods?

Wyst

omg do i ever hear that!!! ooooooooo boy!!

anyway... ahhhhh maine... not too far from me but far enough unfortunately. maybe another time!!

:) :)

Top Bottom