x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

Why are some guys big/weak and some small/strong?

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Why are some guys big/weak and some small/strong? within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: I wouldn't consider myself big, compared to a lot of guys in the gym. Note, my college gym only has a few big guys, and a few strong guys. No one my size or smaller is strong as me, though, not to brag, it's just part of my question. My arms are touch over 16" flexed, I weigh 195 at 6'1". But, I would consider myself to be relatively strong, compared to guys who are bigger and more muscular than me. I'm wondering why this happens? How can I be significantly stronger, but smaller? I've

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Good Bro

Why are some guys big/weak and some small/strong?

I wouldn't consider myself big, compared to a lot of guys in the gym. Note, my college gym only has a few big guys, and a few strong guys. No one my size or smaller is strong as me, though, not to brag, it's just part of my question. My arms are touch over 16" flexed, I weigh 195 at 6'1". But, I would consider myself to be relatively strong, compared to guys who are bigger and more muscular than me. I'm wondering why this happens? How can I be significantly stronger, but smaller? I've been lifting weights for 2 years, I started the day after my cross country season ended when I was a senior in HS. I weighed 155 at the time, so I've gained 40 pounds since then, gaining a few percent in bodyfat.

And how do these guys get huge without lifting as much weight as me?

Also a question for the big guys...do you still respect smaller guys if they are strong?

DB Bench: 120s x 8
    DB Rows: 120 x 12
    DB Shoulder Press: 90 x 6

My squat are deadlift are low because of a back injury, but I'm better now and started those 2 lifts again about a month ago.

it all depends on what you train for. I dont train for strength, so a powerlifter could put up more weight than me, but I can still hold my own, I still deadlift over 600 and squat over 500, but its secondary as all I want is size.
    I am probably the biggest guy in my gym, but I respect everyone that goes there to train hard, and uses their head. how much weight is on the bar doesnt mean shit, and it never should unless you are a powerlifter. I give way more respect to the 120lb 16 year old that listens to advice and busts his ass, then to a 250lb jackass that trains like shit and thinks he knows everything
    Homer Simpson: You can use statistics to prove anything that's even remotely true...

Homer Simpson: Old people need to be locked up and studied so we can determine which valuable nutrients can be extracted for our benefit...

Homer Simpson: I wish God were alive to see this

The coolest bodybuilding gear on the net!
    CLICK HERE!

I think a lot of it is what you train for.

Personally I want to be strong and stay on the smaller size. I am around 200lbs at 5'11, and I really don't plan on getting much larger.. though I do want to get a LOT stronger.

To me.. it is all about what you want to achieve and how you train.

So much of it is luck and biomechanics. Some guys just aren't built for strength. Now that's not an excuse not to progress, still do try to get as strong as possible.

Everybody knows someone who barely works out and still benches over 300.

Yes it's unfair but oh well.

A lot has to do with how you train. Some is just natrual. I've always trained more towards powerlifting than BB and for my weight I can move some serious weight.

Amateur Bodybuilder
    i train for sheer size, perfecting my form and using slow controlled movements, i really don't give a shit about strength. If i did, i would join the arm curling crew doing 40 sets for fucking biceps while rocking their body back and forth (like one of my roommates)

Good Bro
    Actually, I should mention that my priority is strength, but I do want size too. Maybe 60% of my goal is strength, 40% muscle.

I train 4-8 reps, and take 3 minutes between sets. I work each muscle directly once per week.

I dunno, maybe I'd grow if I did higher reps, but I'm afraid I'll lose strength.

I guess I have to chose though...and thanks for all the feedback guys.

needsize: I also respect anyone who trains hard, and listens and tries to learn. As long as you make progress, that's all that counts. Because we were all once newbies!

Getting strong will help you get bigger

anyway strength is due to nueral effeciency, although size does infulence this.

Originally posted by casualbb
    So much of it is luck and biomechanics. Some guys just aren't built for strength. Now that's not an excuse not to progress, still do try to get as strong as possible.

Everybody knows someone who barely works out and still benches over 300.

Yes it's unfair but oh well.
    Exactly.

One of the strongest guys in my gym is 5' 10", 185 tops. Benches 365 or more for reps, 130lb dumbells as well. At 230 and 6' 1", I pretty much dwarf hiim in size, but I'm not near that strong.

It's gotten to the point where we both joke about it. He's been lifting for years and years, just like me, and gets stronger and stronger, but no bigger. Whereas for me, the size comes fairly easy, but it's unlikely I'll ever be able to put up those numbers.

So three words: ge, ne, tics.

I think I have more strength than size for sure, which sucks because I train mostly for bodybuilding purposes. Sometimes when I'm repping the 100's on the flat bench I can see people looking. I imagine their thinking, "Wow, look at the skinny guy go....never would have guessed it."

I'll be starting HST in a few weeks, see if I can get some size.