Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What do dips train?

Ieniten

What kind of muscles should be employed when you do dips on the chairs or things like that, when they are behind you and your feet are on the floor. I have caught myself either employing mostly the lats, or the triceps. Is it normal that the lats are also working so much on the dips?

Yes, the dips are not meant only for the triceps, and with due focus you can also employ and develop your lats, so this is something normal. When I do dips, I really focus on those two muscle groups, which allows me to get the most out of this exercise.Remember – your mind connection to muscles does half of the job when working out.

But can you train both the back and the triceps? Or you would have to choose just one?

There are other exercises you can do. ANY variant of dips is intended to work either the chest or triceps. Other muscles MIGHT be felt as working during the movement but if it's more back than chest/triceps I'd say you're doing them wrong

I think that the OP means the bench dips - in such case the back would indeed work a lot. If it were the dips on bars, then yes - it should be the chest, triceps and shoulders more than anything else. But it is perfectly feasible to make the lats and back work with bench dips.

I think that the OP means the bench dips - in such case the back would indeed work a lot. If it were the dips on bars, then yes - it should be the chest, triceps and shoulders more than anything else. But it is perfectly feasible to make the lats and back work with bench dips.

It IS bench dips. I clarified that some posts back. No exercise is purely one muscle but, as I said, all kinds of dips (inc bench dips) are mean to work the arm and shoulder pressing as opposed to pulling - where the emphasis would be back. So while it is possible to see the muscles of the upper back flex and contract they will not be the focus of the movement. Ergo, if he he fells them more there, he can change the form to work the triceps harder.

Dips = pushing movement. They train your chest, shoulders and triceps.

When one muscle contracts, the opposite muscle lengthens. For example, when you contract your biceps, your tricep lengthens and stretches

You might feel a pump in your lats when doing dips but that's from the stretch of the antagonist muscle. Dips DO NOT train your lats.

Exactly. In the case of bar dips it's a matter of position to change emphasis. Lean forward and it's one way, lean back and it's another. Some dipping frames allow you to change hand spacing which also has an effect,. But they, including bench dips, are pushing movements.

Top Bottom