Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training belt

belts are horrible and you should not be using one..

that's not hating on belts that's just my opinion. when I was your age I used a belt too until some people who knew a lot more about weightlifting taught me how counter productive they were.. I hope you aren't one of those stubborn teens and will have an open mind to things.

I'll post some study's that show using a belt correctly can strengthen your core more. Belts are not counter productive to attaining a good physique. Hate to break that to you

I'll post some study's that show using a belt correctly can strengthen your core more. Belts are not counter productive to attaining a good physique. Hate to break that to you

you are only 17 and already getting involved with belts which to me is a mistake because you are developing your body bigtime right now. I do not allow any of my kids (I coach and judge high school PLifting) to use belts, gloves, straps or any of that shit for that reason..

but hey do what you want man. like I said when I was your age I used a belt too and was stubborn about it. at that age you never want to be told anything you are doing is wrong, its the teenage mentality

"A belt protects the spine by increasing the amount of pressure that can be applied to it by the muscles that support it. The belt itself reinforces the 'cylinder' of the ab muscles around the spine. At the same time, the belt acts as a proprioceptive cue for a harder abdominal muscle contraction.

You can actually squeeze harder with a belt on than you can without one, just as you can push harder against a loaded barbell than you can against a broomstick.

This effect ultimately produces both stronger abs, due to the stronger isometirc contraction faciliatated by the belt, and a stronger squat, due to the heavier loads made possible by the more stable spine." -Starting Strength

Can you squat more with a belt than without one?

Certaintly

Is it a crutch like a squat suit or straps?

Nope, that is why it is allowed in raw lifting. The belt does not provide elastic energy like a suit, nor does it allow you to grip weight you normally couldn't grip. It simply gives you a more stable cylinder to squat with, it crosses over no joints and helps move no weight.

Does your back go to sleep when you squat with a belt?

No, I can guarantee if your squatting 405 ass to grass with a belt you are most certainly working your back and abs. More so than if you were squatting 375 with no belt.

These are just opinions folks, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Steve, obviously you know your sht so I won't call you out for being narrow minded. That being said, you seemed to be vehemently opposed to belts, as you have posted in a few threads concerning belts. I think you are making them out to be worse than they are.

Evan and I both use them, we both have solid cores. Myself when I am squatting and deadlifting my work sets. However, when I squat and front squat for assistance, or do RDLs and SLDLs I do not wear my belt.

you are only 17 and already getting involved with belts which to me is a mistake because you are developing your body bigtime right now. I do not allow any of my kids (I coach and judge high school PLifting) to use belts, gloves, straps or any of that shit for that reason..

but hey do what you want man. like I said when I was your age I used a belt too and was stubborn about it. at that age you never want to be told anything you are doing is wrong, its the teenage mentality
You see I'm not being close minded. It simply works better for me. Why would I not do what works better for me? I don't powerlift, all I care about is my physique. Wearing a belt does not inhibit any progress in any part of my physique.

The only belt I wear is the one around my neck when I'm giving it a tug. It's good to keep a spotter or teammate around in case you pass out though. Safety first people!

~ JohnyCoolNuts ~

"Steve, obviously you know your sht so I won't call you out for being narrow minded. That being said, you seemed to be vehemently opposed to belts, as you have posted in a few threads concerning belts. I think you are making them out to be worse than they are.

they aren't as bad as wearing gloves but they are pretty close. I disagree that they aren't a crutch, maybe not for you but 99% of guys I see at the gym they are a crutch.. notice the people who walk around the gym wearing belts for their whole workouts, not even for squats or deadlifts. take away their belt and I would like to see them try and workout, they would struggle mightily. surely you can agree that is awful to walk around with a huge pot belly hanging over their belts and doing 50 pound curls.. because this is the shit I am talking about and its moronic!!

you guys can pull up a bunch of 'studies' and links about how great belts are and I can counter with twice as many that say the opposite... I will ask you this.. if I told you that you couldn't wear a belt for the next week on your lifting would you be able to still workout? that by definition would be a crutch.

here is a good little link to check out.. http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/belts_chek.txt

and here are the hodgetwins who are annoying as fuck and I can't stand and even they think belts are retarded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RYTWAPWyNE

I can grant you on a heavy squat or deadlift a belt is fine, just like how straps are fine in those rare instances (for the record I NEVER wear gloves, straps, belts or any of that shit).. but to walk around your entire workout with a belt? that is ridiculous!

Last edited:
they aren't as bad as wearing gloves but they are pretty close. I disagree that they aren't a crutch, maybe not for you but 99% of guys I see at the gym they are a crutch.. notice the people who walk around the gym wearing belts for their whole workouts, not even for squats or deadlifts. take away their belt and I would like to see them try and workout, they would struggle mightily. surely you can agree that is awful to walk around with a huge pot belly hanging over their belts and doing 50 pound curls.. because this is the shit I am talking about and its moronic!!

you guys can pull up a bunch of 'studies' and links about how great belts are and I can counter with twice as many that say the opposite... I will ask you this.. if I told you that you couldn't wear a belt for the next week on your lifting would you be able to still workout? that by definition would be a crutch.

here is a good little link to check out.. http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/belts_chek.txt

and here are the hodgetwins who are annoying as fuck and I can't stand and even they think belts are retarded. How Often Should You Wear Weight Lifting Belt - YouTube

I can grant you on a heavy squat or deadlift a belt is fine, just like how straps are fine in those rare instances (for the record I NEVER wear gloves, straps, belts or any of that shit).. but to walk around your entire workout with a belt? that is ridiculous!

To think you're better then anyone who wears a belt/gloves/straps is moronic bro. At least those people are TRYING to get healthier/more fit. And yes, I could lift without a belt for a week.

I'm very against belt usage, the way I view it you should only be doing as much weight as your body can handle. If you need to use a belt to lift it, you shouldn't be lifting it plain and simple.

My buddy that's a WNBF pro belted up on his squats and deadlifts until one day he bent over to pick something up something off his floor and he threw out his back. Finds out his stabilizer muscles were severely weakened from his belt use.

Top Bottom