Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My roommate wants to start shooting

p0ink

ok, my roommate (it's a chick) finally rid herself of the anti-gun ideology she believed for so long, and she wants to go shooting with me. however, i dont think it is wise to have someone who has never shot before start out with a .45

what do you guys think of getting a little walther p22 for plinking, since the ammo is so cheap (500 rounds for $9), and it will allow for more trigger time versus a .45?

.22 get her confidence up

then slowly move up help her hold on the bigger stuff at first

I'm going to go another route here and suggest that you get something a little bigger. If you don't already own a .38 or a .357 revolver, then there is a hole in your collection that needs to be filled anyway. If she is small statured, then this might not be best, but there are so many aftermarket grips available that she'll find one that both of you will like.
My reasonong is that most new shooters aren't too happy making tiny holes in the target when they start out. If you bring her to shoot, I'm pretty sure that you're going to have the target close so that she can consistantly hit it. At least that is what you should be doing. A revolver has a much simpler action than an autoloader, and the learning curve is much faster using a revolver because of it. People are less intimidated by it. Let her shoot light target loads, preferably wadcutters, since they punch such nice round holes in the paper. That gives her immediate feedback when she's shooting, since she can see where each shot went on the target. There is only a tiny bit more recoil than a .22, and she'll take it a lot more seriously. Stress safety, and if you have a pair of those electronic ear-muffs, let her wear them so she can hear you talking to her. Remember eye protection, and in no time at all she'll be loading, shooting, and unloading a revolver on her own. Having confidence in your ability is what leads to further interest, and in no time you'll be shooting together regularly. The trick is to make it fun, and for her to have some success right away.

The .22 is a fantastic cartridge to refine your ability, and probably one of the most inherently accurate in most handguns, but most new shooters feel like it's riding with training wheels. It's when a shooter wants to really improve their abilities that the .22 comes into it's own. Right now you have someone that wants to see what it's all about. A quality 6" barreled revolver with large adjustable sights in either .38 special or .357 magnum will be able to fire wadcutter loads into tighter groups than just about any centerfire autoloader anyway, so it's something you'll want to own even if she decide shooting isn't for her. I don't know if that will be the case with the Walther.

To kind of qualify this, I am primarily a target shooter, and and I'm thinking that you're doing something similar. If you usually shoot out in a sand pit someplace, or just plink at cans and stuff for fun, then maybe some of this does not apply.

I'd have to disagree. Girls usually are scare by duty calibers. They like .22 for its low recoil and noise. A good way to start is the Ruger Mk II, grip is in mnay ways to similar to those full size duty pistols. Then let her make her way to the top. She'll probably ask you to try that big thing you shoot with. And then get rid of her .22....

That's how my GF started. First with a Ruger MK II, then a H&K P7M8. She still owns the H&K but also added recently a Springfield 1911 TRP stainless... and she's 5'4, 110 lbs...

But it's true many women will also find wheelguns to be less complicated and fit their hands better than a P226 or G17...

Since she has never fired a gun before I wouldn't start her out on a .45. She'll more than likely be a lot more comfortable learning technique on the .22. Before going big, make sure she knows her technique.

p0ink said:
how about a 9mm?

COuld be an option. Start with light loads/low pressure. A 1911 frame chambered for 9mm would be the best to start with or a P7M8 cause it's small but heavy so the felt recoil is minimal.

Kel-Tec (sp?) has a nice small & lightweight 9mm. I believe it is mostly plastic it is also designed for a small hand. I bought one of these for my wife @ a gun show for $75 with glowing sights & a belt clip + an extra clip. I think it holds about 11 rounds with one in the chamber. It is also manufactured in the USAA (if you care).

certainly not a S&W, but it is a nice starter/protection piece

What I dislike with Kel-Tec is that usually it's a hit or miss when it comes to reliability. But for the price you can't really complain. Also, they make some nice mouse guns which are a bonus.

P0ink: have her try a Makarov or maybe a compact .380ACP (Beretta makes a 4" barrel version I think or just a Browning 1908). You may also consider the PPK.

i'm looking at the glock 17. it's a full size 9mm, and once the AWB expires I can buy 17 round clips for it.

Top Bottom