Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Kick Boxing for self defense????

A Wing Chun practicioner? You have to be kidding me?! Dude, I would tool most Wing Chun practicioners like it's my job. The fancy hollywood shit doesn't work in a real fight. Wing Chun may work against one punch Paul who throws John Wayne style haymakers, but it doesn't work against trained fighters who throw precise combinations of strikes.

You seriously need to get your ass into a mixed martial arts gym and soon. The sooner that you get your theories and pride smashed, the better you will be in the long run. Any kind of training that falls short of full contact is a joke. You can either know your shit works because you have tested it against others, or you can speculate.

If you think that I am full of hot air then start posting your sentiments on www.mixedmartialarts.com as well. Those brothers know what I'm talking about!

Fancy hollywood shit? ok, that comment right there just proves how ignorant you are, wing chun IS real fighting, a simple yet effective system that works in a real fight while taking as little risks with your body as possible, the punch and kick deflections have worked against every strike i have had thrown at me including Thai boxing attacks and out of every person that trains at the same club as me, none of them have ever left for another martial art and every person there that i've asked including beginners tell me that they find Wing Chun is way more effective than any other style they've tried, what does that tell you? See it actually revolves around blind siding your opponent then striking him with kicks, knees, fingers, fists, palms and elbows, It all so works by deflecting force of enemy's blows not just mindless block, punch, kick, punch. Bruce Lee's main form of fighting was Wing Chun, are you saying that he's a joke? How about Rick Spain, 2 time undefeated world champion. I am not saying that your fighting styles suck, I am just saying that your logic sucks and you obviously haven't been taught very well and I am really not interested whether or not you agree because I have better things to do than argue online about martial arts.

MUSCLETECHSUX said:
Bruce Lee's main form of fighting was Wing Chun, are you saying that he's a joke? How about Rick Spain, 2 time undefeated world champion.

I don't think anyone is saying that Bruce Lee is a joke, but he was an actor. What he did looked great in the movies.

Rick Spain, 2 time undefeated world champion? In what? Wing Chung? Doesn't mean anything to me. I could be the 72 time world champion in thumb wrestling, but it doesn't mean I can fight. All it means is that using the rules of the sport, I am the better competitor. Big difference.

This isn't to say the Wing Chung isn't or can't be effective, but it certainly isn't the end all beat all of martial arts.

Just a question for Muscleteck sux (which they do by the way). At your school do you train full speed, full contact?

Zen

from what ive been told by wing chun practicioners, there isnt much (well none) groundwork in wing chun....

i hear its excellentfor close quarters combat, but in terms of longer ranged strikes its less effective

(FYI bruce lee trained in a variety of gung-fu styles before learning wing-chun, and his fighting art borrowed from wing chun, french sabbat kickboxing, and boxing....so he wasnt just a wing chun practicioner)

Kwai-Chang Caine said:
I kick in a fight. And I am very glad there are still guys out there like you who don't expect that. THERE IS NOTHING QUITE LIKE THE SURPRISE ON SOMEONE'S FACE ONCE THEY EXPERIENCE THE PAIN OF A MUAY THAI ROUNDHOUSE KICK TO THEIR THIGH. I get chills just thinking about it.
:D
It is a beautiful thing isn't it?

Muscletechsux(good name by the way)...

Kicks leave you open my ass. I fight tight and stay that way throughout all of my attacks, including kicks. How do you figure a roundhouse to the thigh leaves me open?? Do you think you're going to throw an effective simultaneous counterstrike while my shin slams into your thigh with more than enough force to splinter a 2x4, not to mention the damage it will do to your femur?? You could shoot, but good luck. You could deflect, but any competant thai fighter will follow through with several options anyway.

Also, I spent a considerable amount of time studying Wing Chun, and I agree that with a high level of experience in this art it is a very valuable weapon. However, one only needs a basic understanding of WC to overcome someone who relies on those techniques.

Anyway, I hate when these discussions turn into "my art is better than your art" bullshit.

rgosit,

to answer your original question...
The kickboxing it sounds like you are talking about is cardio kickboxing. As far as learning how to fight, this will be a complete waste of your time bro.

ok thank you..thats what i wanted to kno....

I will b starting bjj soon.

i also want t work on some striking on my own..what do u suggest?

I can understand your arguements and I may seem biased about Wing Chun but beleive me I am trying to be as open minded as possible, one the main problem I have with muay thai is the stance/guard, by raising your fists up to the top of your head you are exposing you're entire midsection to your opponent, sure you might be able to kick so well that they won't see what's coming but what if he's better than you and he kicks you first? Kickboxing and Muay Thai on they're own have very little defence techniques and unless you have another staple form of self defence under your belt then you're pretty much toast unless the other guy doesn't know anything. Ask any decent fighter and they will tell you that kickboxing and Muay Thai are great for brushing up on your striking skills and will definetly give you an edge in other martial arts but are pretty much useless on they're own. And Danielson, I already have a wrestling background so that pretty much covers my groundwork but i'll be starting either JJ or BJJ soon.
just my 2cents

I know you're being open minded bro. I was just pointing out that the argument in general was turning a little biased. Anyway, Thai boxers do keep their hands pretty high, but you must consider, a good fighter leans forward(which drops it down), and it is very easy to defend the midsection with elbows, or simply allow minor shots to land here exposing the opponent for knockout blows. With respect to Muay Thai's defenses, there are none. Every attack that comes at me, I attack. Thats the defense. You know how disconcerning that is for someone when they are attacked everytime they try to attack. Regarding Muay Thai's impracticality, I'll tell you that I've studied several different arts religiously since age 7(27 now). After studying all these years, I find myself using only a few things in real confrontations. Wing Chun backhand trapping techniques and sipa kicks, Thai roundhouse kicks and front kicks and overall stance, and various ju-jitsu stuff for take-downs and locks. I've studied MMA for a few years now but I purposely never go to the ground in the street, that is impractical and dangerous. Muay Thai striking,on the other hand, is simple and devastating in long range, midrange, and even some grappling situations. I have to defend Muay Thai bro, otherwise all those hours of beating the crap out of my shins and wimpering go to waste:)

You're right on the money Thaibox; Muay Thai's best defense is a good offense. It's a brutal art and I have incorporated a lot of it into my shootfighting. I do notice, however, that boxing training can usually fill in the few holes found in Muay Thai. The boxing can help you develope a stance which is more protective while not dimishing your ability to throw thai style strikes, it improves your hand striking capabilities, and it helps you establish a more traditional defense (i.e. bobbing, weaving, ducking, etc). If practiced enough I find that these two arts can fit seamlessly with each other. Peace.

Top Bottom