Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ab training routine for strength

A

ariolanine

I need to get my abs stronger to help out my lower back. I really just want them strong and tight. I don't care about mass or 6 pack or anything else. I was wondering if somebody could suggest a routine that will help. I think most of time I do ab excersices wrong because my gut gets significantly bigger. I definitely don't need a bigger waist so I tend to let them slide. Any help would be appreciated.

whoops. forgot my stats. Male 6'4" 212lbs. About 10% bodyfat. Yeah, I'm working on the lower back and have been for a while. Now I need the balance of having strong abs.

I'd say train them for strength. None of this wimpy bodyweight stuff, grab a low pulley and do weighted crunches or pick an ab curl machine with high resistance.

-casualbb

So you believe that the ab workout you currently do makes your abs large enough to increase your waist size (i.e. "my gut gets significantly bigger")?

If so, why do abs that size need to be strengthened?

Well, I usually do stomach crunches and leg lifts and I have trouble keeping my abs in. I tend to push out when doing these excersises. So my lower abs stick out a little and I would rather have them flat and tight. I am also not sure what is best as far as sets, reps, added weight, etc... would be best to make them compact and tight.

OK. You have to remember that abs are muscles like any other. You train them, they get larger and stronger. There's no excercise you can do that will make your abs smaller or "tighter" as you say, yet stronger.

If they stick out when you work them, then that's probably just how you're built, assuming we're not talking about fat here.

ok, so i shouldn't worry about trying to hold them in when doing excercises?

Top Bottom